Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EVnut, Can that film be also installed on the outside of the glass? Resulting in two layers?
I'm told by the experts that the film is intended to be on the interior. And while it could certainly be installed on the exterior, I'm not sure how well it would do with UV damage and the like.

And here's my plan... going into effect tomorrow: I'll have security film on the inside, and "headlight protection" film on the outside. The headlight film is almost an order of magnitude thicker, and is meant for exterior application on plastic and glass. This way, the glass will be laminated like plywood, and should be amazingly tough to penetrate. Of course I don't give a lick about perfect clarity back there... which makes this all possible. I can't do this on the front glass. I'll likely treat all the windows behind the B pillar.

I don't know if it's been posted here yet...and it doesn't have a Tesla in it but a few months back, Inside Edition did a story about smash and grab robberies. They used a bait car in the San Francisco area and it was quickly broken into. While they were reviewing security footage of the robbery from a house nearby, different thieves broke into the Inside Edition vehicle.

Urban decay... comes in all forms. Sad.

I had one baby seat in the back (center), when mine was broken into - it didn't deter them. Doubt that 2 would ?

Did they break the window on the side of the single fold down seat? I think 2 would definitely help. I can't see they could remove the seat from the small window. So they will have to also break the back window completely and spend a lot of time to remove the baby seat. The other thing is that if they are smart, seeing 2 baby seats will probably think this is the "stay at home" parent's car not the working parent's. The working parent's will probably have a laptop in the trunk... the "stay at home" one will have empty grocery bags.

Did they break the window on the side of the single fold down seat? I think 2 would definitely help. I can't see they could remove the seat from the small window. So they will have to also break the back window completely and spend a lot of time to remove the baby seat. The other thing is that if they are smart, seeing 2 baby seats will probably think this is the "stay at home" parent's car not the working parent's. The working parent's will probably have a laptop in the trunk... the "stay at home" one will have empty grocery bags.

Yes - I was puzzled how they could push down the trunk with the hefty baby seat in the center (maybe had enough play in it, that they could still fold one down at a time).

* Two seats may help - but from a safety standpoint, center of the back seat is the safest place for an infant/toddler.
Any datapoints? Having a second kid, seems like a very expensive fix to the problem ;-)

* Suggestions from other folks, about leaving seats folded down (seems to be working as a deterrent) doesn't work for parents with baby seats. Or people who do have stuff they want to store and not lug around.

* In the Bay Area, most families are 2-income families, with both parents working.

In case it helps anyone, who recently had this happen to them in the Bay Area, and is looking for repair options:

1) Tesla service centers / repair shops do not do glass repairs. They will refer you to third-party shops who do.

2) Many bigger companies (SafeLite, that was recommended by my insurer GEICO), don't have the glass part in stock - and you may face a long wait if you go that route. The quarter glass panel, needed to repair this kind of breakin, is only available as an OEM part (Tesla-manufactured). Apparently, due to the slew of break-ins, it is in short supply, in the Bay Area.

The following 2 repair shops (recommended by Tesla) had it in stock, with reasonable repair estimates :
Precision Auto Glass -650-619-9050
Primer Auto Glass - 925-548-0394

This was from calling around on Mon 1/14/19, based on parts availability then. YMMV.

It is unlikely that they'll ever be able to record video from the inbuilt cameras while the car is parked for any length of time, since most of the electronics (including the computer that could do the recording) go into sleep mode after 10 minutes or so to preserve the battery charge.

Thanks @Eno Deb
It's what I suspected, but thought I'd ask anyway. Hope (and vengefulness) springs eternal :)

More information from Electrek... https://electrek.co/2019/01/16/tesla-vehicles-target-break-ins-solutions/

Tesla owners have been reporting on forums and social media recently that thieves appear to be targeting Tesla vehicles. Dozens of break-ins have been flagged, especially in the Bay Area, in the last few weeks and owners are now trying to find some solutions to the problem.

Over the past month and a half, we have been seeing an increasing number of Tesla owners, especially Model 3 owners, taking to social media to report break-ins. The incidents range from one to several broken windows and in some cases, thieves targeted especially Tesla vehicles all in the same lot. Model 3 owners have gathered data about the recent break-ins, which shows that they have been concentrated in the Bay Area:

upload_2019-1-17_17-47-36.png

Some locking mechanism that hooks onto the child seat top anchors and the seat latch
mechanism could be very solid. Those are two very strong fixed points in the car that would block the seat from folding down.

Did you see the link posted above? It mentions a new aftermarket solution for locking the rear seats :cool:
More information from Electrek... Tesla vehicles targeted in series of break-ins, owners try to find solutions

Last month, Tesla started offering and installing a new Enhanced Anti-Theft system that would help prevent those break-ins, but it’s currently only available for Model S and Model X. Many of the reported incidents involve the Model 3. Like any other cars, it’s not recommended to leave any valuable item inside, but the problem is so rampant that many people are getting their windows broken even though they have nothing in the car.

Thieves are just breaking the windows to lower the seat and see if there’s anything in the trunk. Two other Model 3 owners have come up with a device to lock the rear seats and clearly indicate to the thieves that they wouldn’t be able to access the trunk:

Yes - I was puzzled how they could push down the trunk with the hefty baby seat in the center (maybe had enough play in it, that they could still fold one down at a time).
Yup, plenty of play in the seats, plus the compression of the foam.

* Suggestions from other folks, about leaving seats folded down (seems to be working as a deterrent) doesn't work for parents with baby seats. Or people who do have stuff they want to store and not lug around.
Exactly.

In case it helps anyone, who recently had this happen to them in the Bay Area, and is looking for repair options:

1) Tesla service centers / repair shops do not do glass repairs. They will refer you to third-party shops who do.
My experience shows that this is not accurate. My rear quarter glass was replaced by my service center (via mobile unit) four days after I informed them of the smashed glass. And they did it for $200 less than Precision and Primer. For the $200 less, I had to clean up the car and my garage floor, however.

Some locking mechanism that hooks onto the child seat top anchors and the seat latch mechanism could be very solid. Those are two very strong fixed points in the car that would block the seat from folding down.
There are plenty of ways to lock the rear seats. What remains is the risk of still having the glass smashed. :-(

I would like to suggest a solution for the problem with Tesla Model 3 break-ins by smashing the side back window and lowering the back seat that I hope Tesla can develop. I think that Drop-Lock is a step in the right direction but needs to be further improved. Tesla should develop a similar device that has Bluetooth and can communicate with the car software (software update would be necessary to support such feature). The device can be unlocked only when a) the device is powered on (its battery is working) and b) the car is unlocked. The battery should be replaceable even when the device is installed and in the locked mode. However, if the battery was working and it is removed while the car is locked, the alarm and/or camera should be activated. The same should happen if the device is tampered with (like applying mechanical force on the top surface of the device).

I would like to suggest a solution for the problem with Tesla Model 3 break-ins by smashing the side back window and lowering the back seat that I hope Tesla can develop. I think that Drop-Lock is a step in the right direction but needs to be further improved. Tesla should develop a similar device that has Bluetooth and can communicate with the car software (software update would be necessary to support such feature). The device can be unlocked only when a) the device is powered on (its battery is working) and b) the car is unlocked. The battery should be replaceable even when the device is installed and in the locked mode. However, if the battery was working and it is removed while the car is locked, the alarm and/or camera should be activated. The same should happen if the device is tampered with (like applying mechanical force on the top surface of the device).
Or simply move the release latches to inside the trunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.