Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Palo Alto area a hot spot for auto burglars
Benitez, who has been on the front lines of law enforcement for nearly 30 years, said that under new laws, particularly Propositions 47 and 57, criminals are not going to jail for property crimes, and they know it.

“There is no answer, because even if we were to send our detectives out there, and do a stakeout, and we actually see the person, they’re going to run,” he said. “As soon as they jump into the car and speed off, we can’t do anything. They just speed right by us, and they can wave to us and pretty much we’ll wave back because we’re not allowed to chase a car for a property crime. “Even if you catch somebody, which is very rare, there is no punishment behind it. So that’s another layer of frustration. … It’s almost making a mockery of the entire judicial system.”

The increase in property crimes is a direct result of our lax laws and the liberal criminal justice system in California... the truth :cool:

Neither of us KNOWS what exactly THE cause is, and
it stands to reason that there's more than one. You and
@TEG are pushing your political pet theory, incontinently.

When we know, for a fact there are organized gangs sending kids around in groups to break into cars, in a state that passed a law making it impossible to charge such crimes as a felony without being able to "prove" the door was locked (ie a smashed window no longer counts as evidence they 'broke in') then it seems pretty reasonable to suspect that specific law makes such crimes much easier and more attractive, does it not?

A better question might be what possible downside you could see in changing that law? Do you think there'd be lots of innocent people who smash car windows that would accidentally get arrested or something?

Fixing that law is an actual idea, that is likely to actually help, and appears to have no likely downside. So what's your problem with it?

By all means if you have other, specific, better ones- propose those too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this rapist/car burglar got caught by Sentry Mode and is now in jail.

Tesla's built-in cameras help police return convicted felon behind bars

and if you read further down the article, the two jovial guys who were enjoying keying the Model 3 in Old Sacramento, well due to the publicity of it with their images out there, they turned themselves in. Here's the update on that vandalism. Nice to see. Have to say.

Tesla vandals laugh as they damage a Model 3 while Sentry Mode is actively recording (Update)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and GSP
The reason voters vote on stupid laws is because they are convinced that it’s more cost effective to let petty crimes go instead of throwing then in Jail.

I took my Mazda on a trip to Vancouver, B.C. Back in the early 2000’s and you guessed it, someone tried to steal it. Fortunately, me being from L.A. I had a kill switch on the lighter. I say hard labor instead of throwing them in Jail.

BTW, this phenomenon isnt new in California just like the “Opioid Crisis” isnt new. It’s just that now it’s affecting a certain Demographic........ so now it’s a “crisis”

The reason voters vote on stupid laws is because they are convinced that it’s more cost effective to let petty crimes go instead of throwing then in Jail...

Yeah, could very well be true. It would take a lot of broken windows and missing laptops to add up to the money required to pay for long term incarceration and all the lawyers involved.

Sometimes it is worth it to pay extra for a functional society where you don't have to accept that people are going to go around damaging and taking your property whenever they want.

The reason voters vote on stupid laws is because they are convinced that it’s more cost effective to let petty crimes go instead of throwing then in Jail.

I took my Mazda on a trip to Vancouver, B.C. Back in the early 2000’s and you guessed it, someone tried to steal it. Fortunately, me being from L.A. I had a kill switch on the lighter. I say hard labor instead of throwing them in Jail.

BTW, this phenomenon isnt new in California just like the “Opioid Crisis” isnt new. It’s just that now it’s affecting a certain Demographic........ so now it’s a “crisis”

You are correct:

"The underlying premise of Proposition 47 was to free up funds so the state could focus on violent and serious offenders. Savings would be diverted to school-based prevention and support programs, victim services, and mental-health and drug treatment. Therefore petty thieves, who might be drug addicts, would avoid costly and ultimately detrimental incarceration. The referendum had the support of California Democratic party and the American Civil Liberties Union, and the state’s voters passed it into law in 2014.

What could possibly go wrong?

That question is best asked of the people in California who are robbed and call the police for help. Overall, they’re blindsided by the slow (or non-) response. The surprise and anger they feel is tremendous. Nearly a thousand dollars in stolen property is hardly minor, especially to those who have little to lose. It’s not just the loss of personal possessions they’ll probably never see again that is so distressing, but the ruined trust in the system that they assumed was designed to protect the innocent.

There has been a grassroots reaction to weakened laws, however. People are beginning to assume control. They’re not waiting for an authority figure to make everything alright. They’ve been hit by thieves too many times, and are tired of seeing their neighborhoods crumble under the weight of open drug use and commerce. Many have stopped believing that city leaders will ever come to their rescue. A type of vigilantism is emerging."

California’s Proposition 47: Crime and No Consequences | National Review

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and TEG
Same thing happened to us a month ago on our California road trip. This happened in Santa Clara, CA. Same MO. I’m part of the statistics now. Unfortunately Sentry Mode was off and forgot to turn it on. Lost two full Duffle Bags :-(
We noticed when it happened and took photos of the runaway car but the number plate was stolen number plate.

0B7D98EC-22CF-43BA-8C0F-EDF4629488C7.jpeg

Luckily not (yet) an epidemic in Europe :-(. Frustrating. As the burglars seem to want to have a look in de back trunk, would lowering down the rear seats help?

Of course it can help. Why leave the back seats up, when it seems they specifically look with a flashlight? That and not keeping visible valuables in the car.

My wife's non-Tesla car was rifled through in broad daylight, but there was nothing to steal so nothing was lost. Also she'd forgotten to lock the car, and there was no damage.

I'm wondering now if leaving Sentry on with the car unlocked is an option. Let them look AND get recorded?

Luckily not (yet) an epidemic in Europe :-(. Frustrating. As the burglars seem to want to have a look in de back trunk, would lowering down the rear seats help?

It seems to help, but there is at least one video that shows the perp breaking the small window without even looking in. I'm counting on it working as I've got no other recourse (I've never left valuables in the car).

Same thing happened to us a month ago on our California road trip. This happened in Santa Clara, CA. Same MO. I’m part of the statistics now. Unfortunately Sentry Mode was off and forgot to turn it on. Lost two full Duffle Bags :-(
We noticed when it happened and took photos of the runaway car but the number plate was stolen number plate.

Wow! what highway goes from Sydney to Santa Clara? :)

I think that's pretty much the only thing that really helps. Sentry is all nice and well, but it will not prevent them from smashing the window in the first place (as the various videos prove). And if they arrive with stolen license plates there is little chance the police can do anything with the video after the fact.

I think that's pretty much the only thing that really helps. Sentry is all nice and well, but it will not prevent them from smashing the window in the first place (as the various videos prove). And if they arrive with stolen license plates there is little chance the police can do anything with the video after the fact.

If you've got nothing in the car and its not going to rain, just leave the rear windows down.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
We just had someone try our house front door. There were
waves of burglaries and thefts over the years, it looks like
we're into another.

As to the M3, it seems the thieves who work the little window
technique might not even bother checking if the car is open,
they have a monkey routine that targets cars with that access
route to the trunk. They're instructed to do what they do,
quickly.

I think at some point word will get around that the Teslas
are recording what they do, and that most owners are not
leaving valuables in the trunk. Putting those Sentry clips
up on Youtube might help get the word out.

Who knows what they'll switch to doing next. And others.
I'm more worried about that -- armed burglary, home
invasion, that sort of thing, the possibilities are endless
once a threshold is crossed.

There's a lot of rage out there. I'll tell ya, I watch people
react to my Tesla, they don't know it's not a $150k car,
and they resent it, all sorts of fools, like those 2 guys who
keyed the Tesla in Sacramento. Or the woman with her
kids who did the same. It's not just organized window
breakers. I had no idea when I got the car. Even on this
forum, there's all this anti-Musk blather. He's rich, he's
conning people, the autopilot doesn't work and is killing
people. Or Tesla is arrogantly forcing features on us.
Just look. A lot of riled up people riling each other up.

Last edited:
  • Informative
We just had someone try our house front door. There were waves of burglaries and thefts over the years, it looks like we're into another.
This reminded me of something that happened to me six years ago:

Captured by one of my security cameras I've had running since around 2004. A group of at least 4 guys apparently went from one end of the street to the other looking at/into cars. My door was locked but unfortunately my neighbors daughter's car was not; right after the guy tries my car door you see them gather around the car across the street. I think he said they got a purse or bag. I have clips of a car headed towards the right before this one and another of the same car going back to the left and picking up the three before driving away. Gave these clips to my neighbor and I assume he followed up with the police and his insurance. I don't know why they didn't look at my wife's Odyssey. Maybe it screamed out "soccer Mom".

I've not done a good job of reviewing the recordings of the TeslaCam, mostly due to the sheer number of clips that are stored, but also because I've not seen any physical damage to my car. I enable Sentry Mode only when parking in large lots and/or sketchy places. I probably should enable it at home just in case something like the above happens again.

So this happened to us (second time!!) in our local (Alameda) Trader Joes parking lot at 4:30 in the afternoon, in the same lot where there is a bank of superchargers. In our case, we had the rear seats down and nothing in the car, doesn't seem to matter to these geniuses (sentry was off, mistake on our end). I have video footage that I have shared with the police as multiple cars were broken into so they do seem to be taking this seriously.

Anything else I can/should do to publicly shame/capture these charming people.

I went out to eat last Saturday and I turned on Sentry mode for the first time.
When I got back to the car I got a message that 3 events were recorded.
The first one was a car driving up, parking and someone getting out and going to the restaurant.
The second one was another car...a couple got out, stood beside their car kissing, then went to the restaurant.
The third was me and friends returning to my car.

There has to be a better way to review the recordings. We need a decoder that can decode and display 3 streams at once and can go from one clip to another.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.