Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Estimate range on full charge dropped to 300 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Estimate: noun
an approximate judgment or calculation, as of the value, amount, time, size, or weight of something.

Energy is measured in joules, watt-hours, etc. Miles/kilometers is a measure of distance. Any measurement of energy remaining should be in joules (and given as a percentage)
It is the same as with the quantities of vitamins sometimes being listed with the measurements in IU (international units). It is a fixed, exact conversion from milligrams or micrograms according to a conversion factor constant. So it is an exact unit representation. 1 rated mile for a model of vehicle does equal an exact number of joules.

Even if it is a 'conversion from the EPA testing procedure' as you allege, it is still an estimate. Tesla even states this on their web site: (hint - 'est' is an abbreviation for 'estimate') Sorry, but stamping your feet and shouting 'No it's not' doesn't change what it is.
That (326) is a representation of how much total energy there is, which due to manufacturing variability, they cannot guarantee exactly how much there will be in anyone's specific battery. People's batteries will have varying number of joules/"rated miles" in total. Therefore that total amount is an estimate. But the unit that is called a "rated mile" is not.

It is the same as with the quantities of vitamins sometimes being listed with the measurements in IU (international units). It is a fixed, exact conversion from milligrams or micrograms according to a conversion factor constant. So it is an exact unit representation. 1 rated mile for a model of vehicle does equal an exact number of joules.

That (326) is a representation of how much total energy there is, which due to manufacturing variability, they cannot guarantee exactly how much there will be in anyone's specific battery. People's batteries will have varying number of joules/"rated miles" in total. Therefore that total amount is an estimate. But the unit that is called a "rated mile" is not.
First, as near as I can tell, the only source for the claim that this is a fixed conversion is your posts on this thread.

Second, if it actually is a fixed conversion, the battery capacity is an estimate and variable, meaning it's a conversion from an estimate and making it an estimate by default.

Third, displaying a percentage as a distance is deceiving and inaccurate at best.

But finally, just to put this to rest, I will quote the owner's manual:

Pg 56:
1630876365742.png

Pg 58:
1630876394382.png

Pg 68:
1630876485574.png

Pg. 123:
1630876578426.png

Attachments

• 1630876238495.png
    1630876238495.png
    40 KB · Views: 65
  • 1630876329547.png
    1630876329547.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and GOVA
Nope, I departed Louisville for Mt Vernon at 97% (I misspoke when I said I departed Mt Vernon) it was the other way around. I drafted a big truck for the first 25 or 30 minutes to get my wh/mi down with TACC set to 72 mph (posted is 70) and ducked in/out of the left lane to pass slower cars as necessary. My arrival SoC started off at 11% but kept climbing due to judicious drafting and construction along that portion of I-64. But in the end, my average speed was just at 63 mph with the results as posted. My screen shows temp as well. And I wasn't running my Aero Caps but tire PSI was at 43 psi sometimes 44 psi.

HcoZcmX.jpg
I'd be very careful with all that drafting - those trucks have taken out many a windshield. I avoid being behind trucks of any kind. Thoughts from a fellow AF retiree :) (and soon to be civil service retiree!)

First, as near as I can tell, the only source for the claim that this is a fixed conversion is your posts on this thread.
Huh--well, maybe someone else can help you find that. This has been known for many years.
Second, if it actually is a fixed conversion, the battery capacity is an estimate and variable, meaning it's a conversion from an estimate and making it an estimate by default.

Third, displaying a percentage as a distance is deceiving and inaccurate at best.

But finally, just to put this to rest, I will quote the owner's manual:
All of your citations are pointing out that trying to figure out the amount of energy in the battery is an estimate. Of course it is. I repeatedly pointed that out to you. It would be an estimated amount of joules too. But that was not your point. You were staying that the unit of joules was exact, but a rated mile wasn't. That is still simply false.

Reactions: GtiMart
Just change visualization to percent (from mileage) to help avoid the constant mileage estimate checking. In all long trips I've never had issues with the Tesla UI mapping and Better Route Planner (mainly to ensure I arrive at the destination with a certain amount of charge)

Reactions: DanDi58
No, my entire point is that a 'rated mile' may be a specific number, but that specific number is nothing more than an estimate. You seem to be unable to understand the difference between the number itself and what it represents. But I tire of explaining this nuance so I'll let you go on believing.

Not sure if it is normal. Charged to 100% once and got 306 estimated miles about two month ago. After that estimates went down to 303 miles and today to 300 miles. Is it within normal behavior?
I think you'll find over time that we spend way too much time stressing out about range. As others have noted, there are a bunch of other threads on this same topic - it helps to do a search before you post a topic here, just FYI. Realistically, are you going to jump in and drive 300 miles (or over 4 hours) in one fell swoop? Most people don't. Personally, I'm good for about 2.5 before I need a bio/stretch break. So I stop when either the car, or my bladder, says to, and charge up. I've come to the conclusion that range is overrated, but what's important is availability of chargers and charging speed when road tripping.

BTW, I have no idea what my 'estimated range' is at 100% as I've never charged it to that level. 95% has been my max for a road trip, 80% for daily use.

Reactions: sleepydoc
It isn't worth worrying over the number. It varies wildly based on the BMS. If you only use 10% and then top off every day, the BMS has trouble accurately guessing how much charge/miles you have. In our model 3 I've seen it vary as much as 20 miles in a week just based on how we've been charging. A long trip with a good deep discharge and then top off and then deep discharge seems to allow the BMS to more accurately gauge how many miles the pack has. The battery is made up of thousands of cells which the BMS has to regulate, it's not surprising that the BMS can't always accurately let you know how many miles are left, especially when you are just using 10-20% before a top off... It doesn't know how much is left in the pack if it never sees the bottom portion of the charge. The important thing to note is that this estimate is most likely not any type of battery degradation at this point in your car's life.