Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That has to be about as many as they can deliver in a day. Amazing. Anyone know the biggest delivery day in Norway?

Look in the center of the page, just above the cars registered today:
Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 21.58.40.png

Reactions: dc_h
Very good documentation, including accuracy :).
Can you check my Germany submission in return?!
And that is done as well, sir. BTW... have you noticed this???
upload_2017-12-6_22-21-28.png

Whaaaat? Another Model 3*, this time registered in Germany!

*Or Tesla has released Model O(ther) and the Germans, being very accurate people, translated the model name. We'll never know.

• Funny
Reactions: hobbes
And that is done as well, sir. BTW... have you noticed this???
View attachment 265006
Whaaaat? Another Model 3*, this time registered in Germany!

*Or Tesla has released Model O(ther) and the Germans, being very accurate people, translated the model name. We'll never know.

:p

Germany detailed numbers are out. Interesting thing: 1 other (non S or X) Tesla.
See https://www.kba.de/SharedDocs/Publi...10_2017_11_xls.xls?__blob=publicationFile&v=5

So the one seen in Norway probably wasn´t the same as that seen in Germany. Looks like we have 3 (in order of appearance): NL, DE, NO

Over at M3OC there is a post from a fellow German who claims employees can order their cars to Germany, too - (and that would also explain how the European M3s car got here):

Hello dear reservationists,

I'm following this intiative since day one and am impressed by the passion and enthusiasm. Maybe you might able to help me with this little inquiry. As a former employee of a major german manufacturer I know for fact, that US customers were able to order their US vehicles through the dealership and pick those cars up in Ingolstadt. BMW has a similar program. Basically those customers enjoy the BMW or Audi on the german Autobahn (or elsewhere) and then bring it to a harbor where it'll be shipped.
Having said all this, I'd love to pick up my Model 3 in Fremont and drive it all the way through the east coast and ship it from there back home. Does anyone know, if such a program exists or if such a program is technical feasable, since US and Europe most certainly have different power sockets, Hz etc.?

any comment is highly welcome.
thx

Strange thing is that there is no Tesla infrastructure in Ingolstadt at all...

Over at M3OC there is a post from a fellow German who claims employees can order their cars to Germany, too - (and that would also explain how the European M3s car got here):

I guess he wants to know if any such programme exists for Tesla in the US. I know BMW, Audi (und vielleicht auch Mercedes?) have such a Programme that allows you to "experience real German Autobahn" and then have you car shipped to the US.

I don't think that Tesla has such a programme, I don't think that Tesla wants such a programme: you will run into all kinds of electrical charging issues (US vs. European standards) and you would be liable for all kinds of US/CA taxes as well as European import duties: the factory in Tilburg is assembling cars not for fun but to circumvent European import duties...

I guess he wants to know if any such programme exists for Tesla in the US. I know BMW, Audi (und vielleicht auch Mercedes?) have such a Programme that allows you to "experience real German Autobahn" and then have you car shipped to the US.

I don't think that Tesla has such a programme, I don't think that Tesla wants such a programme: you will run into all kinds of electrical charging issues (US vs. European standards) and you would be liable for all kinds of US/CA taxes as well as European import duties: the factory in Tilburg is assembling cars not for fun but to circumvent European import duties...

You´re right, on re-reading his post I realize he never claimed anything about such a programme at Tesla. I would have fit just too well with the sightings and the employees seeming to be on road trip...

Hi. The official UK registration numbers are in for Q3 2017. 674 Model S and 589 Model X were registered in Q3 this year compared to 634 Model S and zero Model X last year. The total was 1263 units. Because the UK numbers are released a few months late, we used estimates until now. Our estimate was 1274 units (99.1% accurate).

A few observations:
1. If you look at performance registrations, it was 18% in Q1 2017 but then it dropped to 9% and 6% in the next two quarters. I think this is related to different buyer profiles. There is a constant flow of buyers who switch from gasoline to EVs and some of them prefer the P versions. On the other hand, there are a certain number of performance car enthusiasts that buy the P version when it car comes out but then you don't see them anymore in the next quarters. If this theory is true, it makes sense for Tesla to continue to release a new performance version every now and then to attract the performance car enthusiasts.

2. S75D registrations were higher than S100D but X75D was lower than X100D. This shows that people care more about range instead of battery size. The S75D has 259 mi and the X75D 237 mi EPA. It looks like 259 mi is considered enough but 237 mi is not. The interesting thing here is that, they are switching from NEDC to WLTP rated range in Europe by Sep 2018 (more info here). Everybody was ignoring NEDC and looking at EPA range anyway but WLTP is expected to be even more accurate than EPA and I'm calculating 249 mi WLTP for the S75D and 229 mi for the X75D. Therefore I think Tesla will do something to improve the range of the S/X by Sep 2018. They might switch to permanent magnet motors or they might switch from 18650 cells to 2170. Otherwise, their S/X sales in Europe will be negatively affected. Luckily the Model 3's EPA range was voluntarily lowered. Therefore I'm calculating 316 mi WLTP for the Model 3 LR. So, no issues with the Model 3 range.

3. Cancelling RWD was an interesting choice by Tesla. There was enough demand to keep the RWD version but the overall demand for Tesla cars grew slowly over time therefore even when they canceled RWD, it didn't turn out to be a big problem because the continuous improvement in battery size and range attracts new buyers. Interestingly I think there is no reason to wait so long to cancel the RWD Model 3. Once they open the configurator to all existing reservation holders and let them chose the RWD version if they want to, it would make sense to cancel the RWD Model 3 for future reservations because this would improve profit margins. The cheapest Model 3 you can order after mid-2018 might start at $40K instead of $35K. That's just a prediction.

L56MjFI.gif

Data source: gov.uk (Table VEH0160)

Last edited:
3. Cancelling RWD was an interesting choice by Tesla. There was enough demand to keep the RWD version but the overall demand for Tesla cars grew slowly over time therefore even when they canceled RWD, it didn't turn out to be a big problem because the continuous improvement in battery size and range attracts new buyers. Interestingly I think there is no reason to wait so long to cancel the RWD Model 3. Once they open the configurator to all existing reservation holders and let them chose the RWD version if they want to, it would make sense to cancel the RWD Model 3 for future reservations because this would improve profit margins. The cheapest Model 3 you can order after mid-2018 might start at $40K instead of $35K. That's just a prediction.

Great how well the estimates work!

Regarding the cancelling of the rear wheel drive Model 3 - I don´t think it would be fair to never give people outside the US a chance to purchase one at the originally announced base price. For S and X it made sense to drop that option to differentiate it from Model 3 more - as Model 3 is supposed to cover the lower market segments, too for now, I don´t think they will drop so soon. Maybe in 2019.

Great how well the estimates work!

Regarding the cancelling of the rear wheel drive Model 3 - I don´t think it would be fair to never give people outside the US a chance to purchase one at the originally announced base price. For S and X it made sense to drop that option to differentiate it from Model 3 more - as Model 3 is supposed to cover the lower market segments, too for now, I don´t think they will drop so soon. Maybe in 2019.

And in addition we need to consider that the Model S used to cover a much wider band of the market and now is starting to be focussed on the higher end market only. When Tesla had these insanely cheap 2 year leases the Model S was very affordable. The value of the Model S is still awesome, but the sticker price only went upwards lately which is required to create room for the Model 3.

In short: unless there is a massive drop in battery prices, a cheaper version of a Tesla car or anything else that either brings sticker prices for the Model 3 down or otherwise allows Tesla to capture the lower end of the market, there is NO reason to stop the RWD Model 3 (it is a very different situation for Model X/S)

Reactions: hobbes
As a side note, does anyone have any thoughts on how/if TIlburg is gonna handle Model 3? Are expansions going to be needed? If so, shouldn't they be starting soon?

very basic question on Tilburg... does Tesla's operation there fully remove any costs Tesla's cars would otherwise face (of course, other than shipping) for having been produced in the US... i.e. taxes, duties, whatever the legal term for making cars produced outside the region more expensive than those produced locally?

As a side note, does anyone have any thoughts on how/if TIlburg is gonna handle Model 3? Are expansions going to be needed? If so, shouldn't they be starting soon?
There's been talk of getting Magna Steyr involved. They have factories where they can do contract work at relatively short notice. It's probably the right move, until Tesla can get a factory up and running in Europe. We should know more in a few months.

(Tesla can start off in Europe by shipping to Norway. We don't have the tariffs that Tilburg is meant to avoid, so cars are shipped here directly from the US.)

very basic question on Tilburg... does Tesla's operation there fully remove any costs Tesla's cars would otherwise face (of course, other than shipping) for having been produced in the US... i.e. taxes, duties, whatever the legal term for making cars produced outside the region more expensive than those produced locally?
I believe it fully removes a 10% import fee. But the extra work at Tilburg probably adds some cost to the price of the car, though less than 10%.