Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, the French are very chauvinistic in their choice of car. Go to Paris and you'll see 75% of the cars on the road are the big 3 (Citroën, Renault, Peugeot), even though these brands are nothing more than average in quality. (This is not meant as an insult to owners of said cars, but these days you get way more bang for your buck (and build quality) in the ICE market with Skoda or Opel for example.)

I can imagine the French will less rapidly adopt BEV's than the BeNeLux, UK or Scandinavia. Germany is a tough one, we'll have to wait and see.

Reactions: replicant
This is a simple snapshot of the last 3 EU years
upload_2019-10-9_15-22-16.png

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Well, the French are very chauvinistic in their choice of car. Go to Paris and you'll see 75% of the cars on the road are the big 3 (Citroën, Renault, Peugeot), even though these brands are nothing more than average in quality. (This is not meant as an insult to owners of said cars, but these days you get way more bang for your buck (and build quality) in the ICE market with Skoda or Opel for example.)

I can imagine the French will less rapidly adopt BEV's than the BeNeLux, UK or Scandinavia. Germany is a tough one, we'll have to wait and see.
I way at least 4 Tesla this morning in Paris, including 2 Model 3 operated by G7 cab (for their 'green' fleet). One S driving around Opera and 1 or 2 plugged in near Sentier. May not be representative, but I can spot a Tesla from a mile away and they're becoming more common these days. I know lots of French people (I'm one of them) who plan buy a Tesla when it's cheap enough *and* they know enough people who can prove that long range EV is actually working well.

As are the Swedes with regards to Volvo, Germans and Japanese

• Disagree
Reactions: dc_h and RobStark

Were the French less chauvinistic in when they bought 1153 Model 3s in March or 1097 in June?

The drop to 518 in September is unusual, but I don't read too much into a single country when Tesla's allocations are in flux due to opening the UK and responding to demand pull-forward in the Netherlands. I'd pay a lot more attention if we saw a drops all across Europe, but it country-by-country results were a hodge-podge of up, down and flat.

As are the Swedes with regards to Volvo, Germans and Japanese

France's two automotive companies have a combined 58% French market share.

Germany's three automotive companies have just under 50% German market share.

Volvo has 16% Swedish market share.

Yes, the Japanese top the French in chauvinism. Japanese companies account for about 90% Japanese market share.

France's two automotive companies have a combined 58% French market share.

Germany's three automotive companies have just under 50% German market share.

Volvo has 16% Swedish market share.

Yes, the Japanese top the French in chauvinism. Japanese companies account for about 90% Japanese market share.

Thanks. So all are out of line in their home country vs. overall market share. I don't think anyone should find this surprising.

Japan is biased by the existence of Kei Cars, which are tiny little unsafe underpowered things that are sold almost nowhere else, but make up about 1/3rd of the Japanese car market.

China produces a *sugar* load of microcars many with European JVs.

European superminis are within a few mm within Kei car size and could certainly be made that size if there was a market.

If you exclude the 30% of the market that is kei cars then Japanese brands account for 6 out of every 7 cars sold, 85%, instead of 9 of 10.

BTW Detroit 3 brands account for 45% of US market. Including those from Italian-American FCA.

And Tesla adds 1.1% market share in the US.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy