Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Every service experience makes me want to sell my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before someone runs with the above and makes a comment about how BMW and Mercedes can do it - keep in mind they're selling you what is essentially a $25,000 piece of machinery for $60,000. Tesla doesn't enjoy anywhere near the same margin - you're buying emerging technology from a company pouring all of their margin into infrastructure expansion, not owner ego fluffing.
That is not even remotely true. Tesla profit margins on the S and X are higher than any automobile manufacturer, high 28.05% was their peak Q1 2015). The others dream about having such margins. BMW is considered the leader of the rest, and they haven't broken 20% since 2007.

• Informative
Reactions: BulldogsRus
Pulling out Tesla's peak margin isn't all that fair of course. And of course, Tesla has to have bigger margins on cars since they had to build a lot (factories, service centers) in a short time. They don't have service on 10 year old cars to help pay for dealerships. They don't have 50-100 years of history. BMW doesn't sell $100k cars exclusively like Tesla did in 2015. The leader is generally considered Porsche and not BMW. And that is the case because the ASP is higher.

My co-worker doesn't know a lot about cars. Has a 3 year old Corolla. Went to dealership for an oil change last week. They tried to sell her an air filter (she did that one) and then carbon cleaning of her intake manifold, brake dust cleaning of her rear brakes and a tranny flush. The flush was because the fluid was brown. She had never heard the term "Stealership". The carbon cleaning was $30 off - such a deal!

I will take my text message Tesla experience any day of the week.

Alternatives do matter. Service people on commission - what kind of crap is that? I left BMW for that crap. If I ever have to leave Tesla, it will be for a 20 year old civic. No typical dealership is ever getting my money ever! They prey on ignorant consumers in a shameless way.

Reactions: SO16
lol, of course they can. Tesla owes you a car that functions as designed for the period of the warranty as agreed upon when you bought it. Nothing else.
My 2015 car was speced with at 691hp, 85KWh battery, and was supposed to "find me anywhere on private property". Clock ticked down to 4 years, the car is out of warranty, and none of these things were ever delivered. I have a 463hp car, with almost 82KWh battery (77KWh usable) and the car will drive up to few tenth of feet in a straight line while I hole the dead-man-switch. So yes, Tesla can just let the clock tick down to no warranty, especially that they had the forethought to add fine print to FSD which stated that there is no way to tell when it will be delivered, therefore it could be millions of years.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr
Pulling out Tesla's peak margin isn't all that fair of course. And of course, Tesla has to have bigger margins on cars since they had to build a lot (factories, service centers) in a short time. They don't have service on 10 year old cars to help pay for dealerships. They don't have 50-100 years of history. BMW doesn't sell $100k cars exclusively like Tesla did in 2015. The leader is generally considered Porsche and not BMW. And that is the case because the ASP is higher.
Tesla margins are still higher than BMW today. Maybe Tesla should have gone with a dealership model too and we'd have better service, at least competition.

My co-worker doesn't know a lot about cars. Has a 3 year old Corolla. Went to dealership for an oil change last week. They tried to sell her an air filter (she did that one) and then carbon cleaning of her intake manifold, brake dust cleaning of her rear brakes and a tranny flush. The flush was because the fluid was brown. She had never heard the term "Stealership". The carbon cleaning was $30 off - such a deal!
And your friend has the option to go to a different dealer. All service centers are Tesla owned and they will not compete with each other so Tesla customers have no choice but to pay whatever Tesla says, wait however long Tesla queue is, wait for parts or service for months if that's how long they feel like taking, etc, etc. No competition is for example how they get away with $3,000 to swap out your MCU with a refurbished one (they keep your old one to refurb and sell to the next sucker) when the $10 EMMC fails, and customers have no choice because the is useless without it and Tesla locks it down tight so nobody can sell and install you a new or refurbished one once your emmc dies completely. Talk about stealership.

Last edited:
Tesla margins are still higher than BMW today. Maybe Tesla should have gone with a dealership model too and we'd have better service, at least competition.

And your friend has the option to go to a different dealer. All service centers are Tesla owned and they will not compete with each other so Tesla customers have no choice but to pay whatever Tesla says, wait however long Tesla queue is, wait for parts or service for months if that's how long they feel like taking, etc, etc. No competition is for example how they get away with $3,000 to swap out your MCU with a refurbished one (they keep your old one to refurb and sell to the next sucker) when the $10 EMMC fails, and customers have no choice because the is useless without it and Tesla locks it down tight so nobody can sell and install you a new or refurbished one once your emmc dies completely. Talk about stealership.

Fortunately Tesla customers such as yourself DO have a choice. Sell the car and get something else. Will take a loss but you are obviously DEEPLY troubled by this since you have been posting this for months. So what’s more important? Money or sanity?

Also, I believe there are private people you can send your MCU for Emmc refurbishment. I saw some threads on here a while back.

Last edited:
Fortunately Tesla customers such as yourself DO have a choice. Sell the car and get something else. Will take a loss but you are obviously DEEPLY troubled by this since you have been posting this for months. So what’s more important? Money or sanity?
You are right, I do have a choice, hence I stopped buying new Teslas. However, just like in the past I used to tell anyone who would listen why they should buy a Tesla, I am now warning people about Teslas - trying to undo the damage I did. I guess that is the double edge of passionate customers, they can be a company's best advocates, but they can also become the opposite.

You are right, I do have a choice, hence I stopped buying new Teslas. However, just like in the past I used to tell anyone who would listen why they should buy a Tesla, I am now warning people about Teslas - trying to undo the damage I did. I guess that is the double edge of passionate customers, they can be a company's best advocates, but they can also become the opposite.

Well that’s nice of you.

Last edited:
Of course not. Just seems odd to do this for so long and so frequently. Send something to Electrik or Dana Hull. I’m sure she’d love to hear this kind of stuff and do a story on it. Heck, “maybe” some good can come out of it.
As long as I continue to receive poor customer service support I will continue expressing my experience with said customer service support. If Tesla cares to do something about my poor experience and that of many others, they will.

I would love nothing more than to receive the level of care on par with what I received for a $35k Kia. I'm not looking for white-glove here so my expectations are quite low and Tesla can't even manage to meet them.

So far they see it fit to pay lip service without actually making any improvements. In fact, it's become even worse since Elon's admission that service was terrible and was a priority during the earnings call over a year ago.

If you bought a computer and the screen had an issue 3 years in, they replaced it once, refurbed it once and you'd expect them to keep doing it forever, for free? Based on other threads it's not to expensive for light treatment or DIY type thing. What would be more upsetting to me would be their lack of offering an MCU2 upgrade path. Even if expensive, I'd want the option.

Well yeah, that's why we have "Lemon Laws". Tesla KNOWS there are issues with screens, and yet even as we speak these same screens are installed in brand new S and Xs. At first they offered to replace them even though they knew it would eventually return, then they stated there was a replacement coming and to "hold tight", but then did an about face and told people it was an out of pocket expense! Now they have the UV fix but there are shortages of machines to do them so the wait is long.

Tesla Rolls Out UV Light Fix For Yellowing Screen Border | CleanTechnica

Tesla's Screen Saga Shows Why Automotive Grade Matters

Why bother sending things to magazines and bloggers? I never did that when I advocated FOR Tesla why would I do it when I'm waving people away from Tesla? I still do the same thing I always did - when strangers ask me about my car I tell them the truth enthusiastically. The truth used to sell cars, now it doesn't.

I assumed you wanted to try to fix the problem. Tesla won’t notice a few sales lost when many others are gained.

They never noticed when I advocated for them either, except for the free stuff they gave me showing otherwise. I don't want to make my life suddenly revolve around Tesla's shortcomings and more than I didn't make my life revolve around their positives. I share my experiences when asked, and people are still asking so I keep sharing. If they want to sneak into my garage at night and take back my wheels for anti-referring people, that's right in line with their recent business practices.

If you want to go out of your way to imbalance negative experiences over positive ones you do that, but I'm not weighing one more than the other. Their currently less than positive ownership experiences are shared no differently than the experiences I shared years ago that they felt were worth giving away free Powerwalls and wheels. I never had to advocate for them in magazines for Tesla to put a lot of money behing their value of those shared experiences, but if you did keep doing it.

Last edited:
Of course not. Just seems odd to do this for so long and so frequently. Send something to Electrik or Dana Hull. I’m sure she’d love to hear this kind of stuff and do a story on it. Heck, “maybe” some good can come out of it.

it doesn’t work. Trust me. I tried prior to end of Q4 with the issues we were dealing with. Issues that no one in this thread, regardless of stance on the OP’s issue, would have put up with.

it takes a social media barrage with a strong presence AND the right combo of internal people to gain ANY headway. You will be silenced by the masses or you will be swept under the rug.

As others have said, it’s basically designed / engineered this way, so as to follow the standard /certain phone&computer company/ model, apparently all the way down to the promoters and detractors.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
I assumed you wanted to try to fix the problem. Tesla won’t notice a few sales lost when many others are gained.
You are correct, they won't. Tesla focus right now is primarily on new customer acquisition. Once they run out of new customers to acquire, that is when they will notice, and only then will it become Elon's actual high priority, as it once was (when he needed to convince people to buy early adopter cars). It's the Silicon Valley startup approach, deal with the problem when it becomes urgent and not a minute earlier, as it wastes precious resources. As long as Tesla has drones of new customers lined up, existing customers are not worth spending many resources on, beyond keeping large legal liabilities away, and maybe any large media storms. Customer waves in the US may be slowing down already though, as evidenced recently by Tesla not having enough Model Y 5 seat configuration orders to fill even the initial production run. The question is whether Elon will decide that fixing service is worth investing in to keep USA customers, or will it be more more profitable to invest in new markets like China and let the US market dwindle.

• Helpful
Reactions: ra88it
You are correct, they won't. Tesla focus right now is primarily on new customer acquisition. Once they run out of new customers to acquire, that is when they will notice, and only then will it become Elon's actual high priority, as it once was (when he needed to convince people to buy early adopter cars). It's the Silicon Valley startup approach, deal with the problem when it becomes urgent and not a minute earlier, as it wastes precious resources. As long as Tesla has drones of new customers lined up, existing customers are not worth spending many resources on, beyond keeping large legal liabilities away, and maybe any large media storms. Customer waves in the US may be slowing down already though, as evidenced recently by Tesla not having enough Model Y 5 seat configuration orders to fill even the initial production run. The question is whether Elon will decide that fixing service is worth investing in to keep USA customers, or will it be more more profitable to invest in new markets like China and let the US market dwindle.

I highly doubt people in China will be more amenable to text message based service for their car when those text messages are not replied to and concerns addressed in a timely manner.

If they are going to stick to text message based support, at the least, there needs to be an Escalate button where you are then directly communicated with a named Manager at the SC.

I highly doubt people in China will be more amenable to text message based service for their car when those text messages are not replied to and concerns addressed in a timely manner.

If they are going to stick to text message based support, at the least, there needs to be an Escalate button where you are then directly communicated with a named Manager at the SC.
I agree that they probably won't like it, but just like in the US it doesn't matter, as it only affects repeat customers. China is a fresh new market with tons of potential new customers who will hand Tesla money before they learn about service quality, and by then there will be no refunds. Bad service is not a problem to a startup as long as you have new customers willing to hand you money for your product.