Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
The app is not making a charge schedule at all now, tried changing the ready by time and charge limit to prompt it to make one but doesn't come up with anything after hours of trying so have had to treat it like Go and schedule a charge using the car timer.
Should i disconnect and reconnect the car in the app and will that mean doing another test charge?
Have sent and email to Octopus but not heard back yet so thought i would ask here, thanks for any advise.
Maybe should have stuck with Go🤪

Reactions: Daedalus
The app is not making a charge schedule at all now, tried changing the ready by time and charge limit to prompt it to make one but doesn't come up with anything after hours of trying so have had to treat it like Go and schedule a charge using the car timer.
Should i disconnect and reconnect the car in the app and will that mean doing another test charge?
Have sent and email to Octopus but not heard back yet so thought i would ask here, thanks for any advise.
Maybe should have stuck with Go🤪
Same boat as you. Last night was my 1st time using IO and as soon as I connected and moved over fro Go to a IO I got a shedule. Today nothing when plugging in after 5pm (9pm in my case)

So either way, my understanding is that if I do the same as you and use it like Go then any time between 11:30 and 5:30 should be OK to charge at the cheap rate.

unplugged the car this morning and set off when we noticed the car hadn’t charged overnight. It was the first night I hadn’t checked the app that a charge schedule had been displayed. I’m having to check and refresh the app every night I plug it in for the last few weeks. I know IO is beta so I accept issues will occur.

Reactions: Obie
Disconnected the car (device) and went through the onboarding process again including the test charge. Got a charge schedule 4 hours after plugging in but still having to change the end time a few times to prompt it to make one and got a nice block of half hour charges all together. For me thats got to be better for the systems on the vehicle than lots of separate half hours slots spread through the night.
Not read any mention of all this extra switching charging on and off you get with Intelligent octopus being a problem so am i worrying unnecessarily, some one please reassure me🤣

Car didn't charge overnight, no schedule received until now (10.13am). But just got this, time to stick the washing on :)

Screenshot_20220925_101242_Octopus.jpg

I have just changed to Intelligent Octopus and did my first charge last night.

I’ve emailed the below to Octopus, but I suspect I may get a quicker more effective answer here….

I have set charging in the Octopus app to be up to 90% and ready by 8am. I plugged my car in last night at around 22.15 and during the test charge the car reported requiring 7 hours to charge to 90% (the car charge limit is also set to 90% in the Tesla app).

The Octopus app set a charging schedule from 0230-0700 and 0700-0730.

When I checked the car this morning, it was at 65% charge and not the 90% I requested.

Am I doing something wrong? Why did the Octopus charge schedule not start earlier seeing as they have access to the car and can see the required charge time?

My concern is that I can’t trust the Octopus app to charge the car to where I need it for a long journey the next day that I wouldn’t normally need to use public chargers (and added expense).

TIA for any assistance.

I’ve emailed the below to Octopus, but I suspect I may get a quicker more effective answer here….

I have set charging in the Octopus app to be up to 90% and ready by 8am. I plugged my car in last night at around 22.15 and during the test charge the car reported requiring 7 hours to charge to 90% (the car charge limit is also set to 90% in the Tesla app).

When I checked the car this morning, it was at 65% charge and not the 90% I requested.

Am I doing something wrong? Why did the Octopus charge schedule not start earlier seeing as they have access to the car and can see the required charge time?

My concern is that I can’t trust the Octopus app to charge the car to where I need it for a long journey the next day that I wouldn’t normally need to use public chargers (and added expense).

TIA for any assistance.

You've checked the in-car charge limit. That's the main gotcha.

A five hour charge schedule will deliver around 37kW to the car. Adding around 50-55% (ish). What was the car's starting %?

Also check, your EVSE isn't current throttled in any way. For example, I can manually curb the maximum amps delivered by my Hypervolt. Not a common one, but a possibility.

Similarly, confirm that when you set up the system, you selected "Generic 7.4kW charger" so that the system knows that's the maximum current it can deliver. Assuming that matches your EVSE's capability.

Do you have access to Teslamate at all? Just wondering if you could share your charge stats from last night.

Reactions: Obie
You've checked the in-car charge limit. That's the main gotcha.

A five hour charge schedule will deliver around 37kW to the car. Adding around 50-55% (ish). What was the car's starting %?

Also check, your EVSE isn't current throttled in any way. For example, I can manually curb the maximum amps delivered by my Hypervolt. Not a common one, but a possibility.

Similarly, confirm that when you set up the system, you selected "Generic 7.4kW charger" so that the system knows that's the maximum current it can deliver. Assuming that matches your EVSE's capability.

Do you have access to Teslamate at all? Just wondering if you could share your charge stats from last night.
Thanks for your reply.

The cars charge limit is 90%.

The starting charge level was 28%. Oh I see, I was thinking the charge window was 23.30-0430 but they gave me 02.30-07.30, which is still 5 hours. Got it!

So quick man maths… battery capacity approx 77kw. Started at 28% so 21.56kw. Finished at 65% so 50.05kw. 50.05-21.t6=28kw added. About right?

I have the Easee home charger that I put in when I setup the Octopus app.

The Easee app is saying 32kwh added over 4h20m.

So, with regards the timing, I still got the 5 hours but started at 02.30 instead of 23.30. A full charge will therefore need 2/3 nights depending on starting charge.

Thanks for your reply.

The starting charge level was 28%. Oh I see, I was thinking the charge window was 23.30-0430 but they gave me 02.30-07.30, which is still 5 hours. Got it!

So quick man maths… battery capacity approx 77kw. Started at 28% so 21.56kw. Finished at 65% so 50.05kw. 50.05-21.t6=28kw added. About right?

So, with regards the timing, I still got the 5 hours but started at 02.30 instead of 23.30. A full charge will therefore need 2/3 nights depending on starting charge.

You really should have got the target % you asked for. From what you've described I can't work out yet why you only got a 5 hour slot for charging from IO.

I've had several occasions where I can see from IO's initial schedule it isn't going meet my %, but it has always updated later in the night to ensure it reaches the target.

TIA for any assistance

Thanks for your reply.

Ive got an Easee charger, when i did the onboarding Octopus listed it as 22kw not 7kw so i put it in as generic 7kw. They use the charger power to work out length of charge needed. Maybe thats why you are short.

I don’t suppose anyone has done this and knows what to? Looks like I’ll need to contact Octopus as the app is, er, limited….
I did it to try to get IO working again. You can do it through the app, you need to use the disconnect device button, then go through the same process you did when setting it up in the first place including the test charge all done through the app. Don't blame me if it all goes pear shaped but if it does you can use the schedule timer in the car to charge in the Intelligent off peak times until you get it sorted.

Reactions: Markee68