Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a look at the official Octopus FAQ and one of the questions is "What happens if I plug in before 5pm?" - the answer is "We’ll notice your car charging and stop the charge. Later on if something else causes your car to charge we’ll allow this charge to continue."

But what's the significance of 5pm? I don't understand - it's not anywhere near the off-peak window, is it just an arbitrary time they're using?

I will likely have my car plugged in at all hours as I work from home so will this affect me negatively?

But what's the significance of 5pm? I don't understand - it's not anywhere near the off-peak window, is it just an arbitrary time they're using?
It's when Kraken, their forecasting and billing engine, is ready work out the most advantageous slots for charging based on the day-ahead pricing and demand forecast that comes about an hour earlier.

I will likely have my car plugged in at all hours as I work from home so will this affect me negatively?

No you just won't see a schedule until around 5pm.

what fix is this, sorry I'm not up to speed? Did this sleeping fix happen recently?

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

I updated my OP about a week ago.

Reactions: Leejmoff
Hi, a question re: IO. All has been going well with the actual charging (4 or 5 times so far).

When I look at the charge stats in the Tesla app, it’s not right (and I suppose it doesn’t matter ultimately, as I know I’ve used and spent only on the 7.5p off-peak tariff, but it’d be nice to see it displayed accurately).

I’ve only ever charged at home, and despite a quick test charge and perhaps 30secs by accident, it’s all been done overnight on schedule after 11.30 and finishing for 7.30 (due to minimal charging needed, I think it’s always been done way before 7.30). Does it charge me at peak from 5.30-7.30? I’ve been doing small too ups from 60-80% so it could easily fit this in between off peak, would be a bit annoying if that’s the cause here). Should I simply ask it to finish by 5.30am to be more certain?

So anyway, for some reason its listing a bunch of ‘other’ charging time rather than ‘home’ which is where I’ve charged in entirety. Not sure why, but I changed that to 7.5p in the settings and that at least reflects spend correctly.

But the ‘home’ lists spend at 0.14p on the second pic and I’ve no idea why. It clearly says I’ve done all my charging at off peak (ok, it says 99% now, but close enough).

Any ideas where I’m going wrong? I was a bit confused by the buy/sell rates but put the same figure in each, guessing that is ok?

Last thing, currently I have no schedule time set on the Tesla, as I understand it, IO takes care of that (and I’ve checked when charging on the port icon and app icon and it is not charging while plugged in). The Tesla limit is set to 80% and IO is 100% (again, it stops at 80% as expected).

Thanks a lot (sorry, that’s quite long!)

Attachments

• 723C97B9-DCC5-40D3-A8DD-9497A91E8F85.png
    723C97B9-DCC5-40D3-A8DD-9497A91E8F85.png
    218.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 848087AF-5619-414B-B4E5-0EDCBE69E74A.png
    848087AF-5619-414B-B4E5-0EDCBE69E74A.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 50
  • E40AF789-D596-42A3-9FE0-962C92ADE20B.png
    E40AF789-D596-42A3-9FE0-962C92ADE20B.png
    203.1 KB · Views: 50
When I look at the charge stats in the Tesla app, it’s not right (and I suppose it doesn’t matter ultimately, as I know I’ve used and spent only on the 7.5p off-peak tariff, but it’d be nice to see it displayed accurately).

I’ve only ever charged at home, and despite a quick test charge and perhaps 30secs by accident, it’s all been done overnight on schedule after 11.30 and finishing for 7.30 (due to minimal charging needed, I think it’s always been done way before 7.30). Does it charge me at peak from 5.30-7.30?
The Tesla app is nothing whatsoever to do with the operation or billing of IO. There is zero integration of the Tesla app with IO and the dynamic off-peak slots IO can generate. The Tesla app just uses fixed, time-based rules that you set to display cost approximations of your home charging.
Not sure why, but I changed that to 7.5p in the settings and that at least reflects spend correctly.
This is the correct thing to do. Assuming you are never going to deliberately charge at peak times, just set all your home charging to show 7.5p.

Reactions: _Dave_
The charge stats also takes when you changed the tariff into account, it’s not retroactive. So if you’ve set new peak/off-peak prices it will take a month to fully show the effect on charging prices as any charging done under the previous higher cost tariff will still be counted as part of the average until it falls out of the window.

Im still finding my setup works flawlessly. On the schedule tab I have it set to charge off peak all week and the off-peak end time at 5:30am. Car doesn’t start charging when plugged in at home, and IO delivers a schedule by 8pm and follows it even when a window is beyond 5:30am. Not once had the car not ready for me charge wise.

Bit of a random question - I switched to Octopus a couple of months ago and am going through the process of registering for their SEG for solar. Just looked in my account and I have two electricity plans showing (Flexible Octopus July 22 and normal Intelligent Octopus). The tracking for the export plan is still showing "MPAN requested".

Is this a normal state of affairs?

Bit of a random question - I switched to Octopus a couple of months ago and am going through the process of registering for their SEG for solar. Just looked in my account and I have two electricity plans showing (Flexible Octopus July 22 and normal Intelligent Octopus). The tracking for the export plan is still showing "MPAN requested".

Is this a normal state of affairs?

Yes, this is normal. Once your SEG MPAN is active that flexible tariff will change to the SEG tariff.

This caught me out too. I was concerned it was an erroneous switch to my account of another property, but hopeful it was just the SEG activation process.

Give it about a week, and it'll change.

They give you slots during whole off-peak period
Err, nope. Its usually tailored to what you need to reach your desired state of charge. For me that is usually 90mins but occasionally 3-4 hours when I’ve driven to another office and the slots generally have gaps in them. Not once seen it just shrug it’s shoulders and give 30 minute slots for the entire off-peak period.

Reactions: Leejmoff