Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
I did it to try to get IO working again. You can do it through the app, you need to use the disconnect device button, then go through the same process you did when setting it up in the first place including the test charge all done through the app. Don't blame me if it all goes pear shaped but if it does you can use the schedule timer in the car to charge in the Intelligent off peak times until you get it sorted.
😂 thank you, don’t worry!

I disconnected in the app and now there’s no option to reconnect 🤷‍♂️

I guess I need to plug the car in to kick it back to life 🤷‍♂️

I’ll schedule a charge the old fashioned way until it’s sorted 😜

Has anyone else has issues with IO not controlling the charging over the past couple of days? Friday I plugged the car in at just after 17.00, got the charging schedule with slots through the night yet it didn’t stop the charge and wait until the allocated slots. Last night I plugged it in at about 02.00 and it scheduled to charge from then until 10.00 but when I checked at 11.00 it was still charging! Not sure if I should email Octopus or just try reconnecting the car?

I have just changed to Intelligent Octopus and did my first charge last night.

I’ve emailed the below to Octopus, but I suspect I may get a quicker more effective answer here….

I have set charging in the Octopus app to be up to 90% and ready by 8am. I plugged my car in last night at around 22.15 and during the test charge the car reported requiring 7 hours to charge to 90% (the car charge limit is also set to 90% in the Tesla app).

The Octopus app set a charging schedule from 0230-0700 and 0700-0730.

When I checked the car this morning, it was at 65% charge and not the 90% I requested.

Am I doing something wrong? Why did the Octopus charge schedule not start earlier seeing as they have access to the car and can see the required charge time?

My concern is that I can’t trust the Octopus app to charge the car to where I need it for a long journey the next day that I wouldn’t normally need to use public chargers (and added expense).

TIA for any assistance.
Set octopus app to 100%!!!! and forget - the only adjustment you do in on the car.

you can see in Octopus app when it was charging - maybe you charger was not working at full capacity (7 kw / 32 amp??)

can you check if there is any scheduling on your easee charger?
No scheduling was set in the charger, set as dumb.
Intelligent Octopus was causing me too much grief to be honest, last night i hadn't got a schedule at 11.00 pm so switched off in the app and used the timer in the car.
I don't do big miles so have just switched back to Go which as it turns out for me was the easier option. I think if you stay on IO but don't use charge scheduling and treat it like Go they can chuck you off and put you on the flexible tariff and not let you back on a smart tarif for a month (maybe🤔).

No scheduling was set in the charger, set as dumb.
Intelligent Octopus was causing me too much grief to be honest, last night i hadn't got a schedule at 11.00 pm so switched off in the app and used the timer in the car.
I don't do big miles so have just switched back to Go which as it turns out for me was the easier option. I think if you stay on IO but don't use charge scheduling and treat it like Go they can chuck you off and put you on the flexible tariff and not let you back on a smart tarif for a month (maybe🤔).
Yeah, in theory. but at the same time - still to see the first example.

Remember that your off-peak tariffs are applicable to you even you are not charging your car (and rightly, you might not do it every evening).

although what I am doing now - I plug my car, let it to charge 2 minutes, stop charge via app and check for schedule 1 hr later. usually it is sorted by then.

by the way, I disconnected my car from charger yesterday during lunch time. car was on-line all day yesterday (not driving), did not go to sleep during the night (not connected) and I lost 6% of battery over that time. so some glitches still happen

Reactions: Leejmoff
I'm having this same problem. It used to stop charging straight away, then schedule. But now I have to force stop it, reconnect the car and then it will schedule a session. Its a bit of a joke in all honesty, i'm sick and tired of it.

I'm having this same problem. It used to stop charging straight away, then schedule. But now I have to force stop it, reconnect the car and then it will schedule a session. Its a bit of a joke in all honesty, i'm sick and tired of it.
i do not do the reconnect.

I noticed that now it might take up to 20 minutes to get the schedule. In this case I rather just for stop after a couple of minutes. then the schedule appears a bit later. but still appears, no need to disconnect.

Reactions: Leejmoff
I might be against the spirit of it, but I just set the car to start at 23:45. It stops it using any when I plug in, and then I check the schedule later. Last night even at 22:00 it had't provided one, but the car still charge as required.

Thus far with this strategy, I've seen IO take over and control things nicely, and never had it under charged or miss a charge so far. Likewise it's never used any peak juice.

I might be against the spirit of it, but I just set the car to start at 23:45. It stops it using any when I plug in, and then I check the schedule later. Last night even at 22:00 it had't provided one, but the car still charge as required.

Thus far with this strategy, I've seen IO take over and control things nicely, and never had it under charged or miss a charge so far. Likewise it's never used any peak juice.
ah, you see, in this case you might be missing few off-peak slots at 10 pm or so :)