Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
yes.

I have managed to pull like 13 kw, when had charging, dishwasher heating water, washing machine heating water and kettle on.. I could turn on the oven and iron as well :D
I’m generally pegged on 22kW for a few hours (in the winter) with car, Powerwalls, heat pumps, immersion heater and dishwasher during “cheap o’clock”. The meter light doesn’t really blink anymore, seems more like a solid light… 💸

• Funny
Reactions: pdk42
I've had an email telling me Go Faster is ceasing to exist and offering Intelligent Octopus.

Haven't decided what I want to do yet, but I thought I'd point out that i saw someone on Facebook warn that if you decide to go with Intelligent Octopus, following that email, you get switched immediately regardless of when your Go/Go Faster comes to an end.

So if you've got a cheap Go Faster better to wait until it's nearly expired before switching.
I waited until my 5p/13p rate finished, left it a week, then signed up for IO. The test charge happened OK and I got a mail straightway saying I'd been switched. My account showed that and the new rates all within about 12 hours.

So yes, if you've got cheap, wring what you can out of it!

That's good to know. Still another month of the old tariff, so definitely worth waiting.
That screenshot you pasted in the OP, was that from an email or when you're logged in to your Octopus account? I haven't been shown tariff differences, just a flat offer to switch to Intelligent Octopus. I daren't click on the "Take Intelligent Octopus for a spin" button in case it actually switches me.

Thanks Tony. The £1k difference isn't real because they are using industry average usage (2.4GWh peak/1.7GWh off-peak) rather than my historical usage (3.9GWh peak/5.9GWh off-peak). It'll probably be a little cheaper since I'll get a longer off-peak window which will shift that balance a little, but it won't be £1k.
I reckon you've been using 5.9MWh not GWh off-peak ;)

Interesting discussion all - am open to moving to Intelligent Octopus, but would be good if they could expand the chargers they will work with. So many have got Zappi's installed I'm surprised they haven't got that working with it yet. Makes so much more sense to use Intelligent with a charger if you have more than one EV.

Reactions: H43lio
Little help for an IO newbie (only second night) - what time (roughly) should the charging schedule appear?

Plugged in about 6:00pm, now 7:30pm and nothing so far...

I read through about 20 pages on here, but couldn't see an obvious answer, so thought I'd try crowd sourcing!

Follow this post, you should be setting the off peak end time in the car, not a start time:
This still didn’t work. So reverting back to manually stopping the charge when it is plugged in.

Little help for an IO newbie (only second night) - what time (roughly) should the charging schedule appear?

Plugged in about 6:00pm, now 7:30pm and nothing so far...

I read through about 20 pages on here, but couldn't see an obvious answer, so thought I'd try crowd sourcing!
It can take up to half an hour after plugging the car in. Having said that, tonight when I plugged in it appeared within a few minutes.

Reactions: spooksman
That screenshot you pasted in the OP, was that from an email or when you're logged in to your Octopus account? I haven't been shown tariff differences, just a flat offer to switch to Intelligent Octopus. I daren't click on the "Take Intelligent Octopus for a spin" button in case it actually switches me.
It was a mail. You can safely click the "Take Intelligent Octopus for a Spin" button since it first goes to a micro-site describing what it is. You have to explicitly click another button to actually subscribe to it.

Reactions: Durzel
I reckon you've been using 5.9MWh not GWh off-peak ;)

Interesting discussion all - am open to moving to Intelligent Octopus, but would be good if they could expand the chargers they will work with. So many have got Zappi's installed I'm surprised they haven't got that working with it yet. Makes so much more sense to use Intelligent with a charger if you have more than one EV.
Yeah - thanks. Duh!

I moved to Octopus with an old style Economy 7 meter with an auxiliary switch for my electric night storage heaters. The timing for this was 12 to 7. After the switch the tariff night hours were out of line at 12:30 to 7:30. Since it was still summer and I wasn’t using the heating I left this and requested a smart meter.

The smart meter was installed and the ALCS (Auxiliary Load Control Switch) also switched between 12 and 7. October came and I started using heating. So now the heaters run from 12 but for the first half hour they are being charged at peak day rate. I leave it as my.Tesla is coming and I will be moving to Intelligent Octopus.

I switch to IO. My tariff cheap rate is now 11:30 to 5:30. The ALCS timing remains at 12 to 7. So now I am missing out on my first half hour of charge time, and getting charged peak rate from 5:30 to 7.

Why is the ALCS not changing with the tariff? With a SMETS meter the ALCS timing should be adjusted by a meter instruction sent alongside the tariff instruction. Does Octopus not have any mechanism to do this? Surely it cant be down to the customer to identify this. In the absence of half hourly billing many customers would not even be aware that the incorrect ALCS timing is causing unexpected peak rate heating charges.

I moved to Octopus with an old style Economy 7 meter with an auxiliary switch for my electric night storage heaters. The timing for this was 12 to 7. After the switch the tariff night hours were out of line at 12:30 to 7:30. Since it was still summer and I wasn’t using the heating I left this and requested a smart meter.

The smart meter was installed and the ALCS (Auxiliary Load Control Switch) also switched between 12 and 7. October came and I started using heating. So now the heaters run from 12 but for the first half hour they are being charged at peak day rate. I leave it as my.Tesla is coming and I will be moving to Intelligent Octopus.

I switch to IO. My tariff cheap rate is now 11:30 to 5:30. The ALCS timing remains at 12 to 7. So now I am missing out on my first half hour of charge time, and getting charged peak rate from 5:30 to 7.

Why is the ALCS not changing with the tariff? With a SMETS meter the ALCS timing should be adjusted by a meter instruction sent alongside the tariff instruction. Does Octopus not have any mechanism to do this? Surely it cant be down to the customer to identify this. In the absence of half hourly billing many customers would not even be aware that the incorrect ALCS timing is causing unexpected peak rate heating charges.
When you get your tesla try and stretch out your charge time to 7am.. ( keep the amps low to the car).
I was getting 10p at 8am the other day.

When you get your tesla try and stretch out your charge time to 7am.. ( keep the amps low to the car).
I was getting 10p at 8am the other day.
I have the Tesla.
Yes i could try to game the IO every day the car needed charge, but it would be more straightforward for Octopus to set the ALCS.

I note that a mod decided to move my separate thread back in here where only the few trawling through IO posts will see it. Actually I deliberately started a new thread because it is a question that applies to all Octopus tariffs and a 5 port meter, and needed a separate thread name to attract the attention of others it might affect.

ok, maybe anyone tried this:
I have IO set up on the car, and usually use my Pod-Point charger (7kw)
we are having some works done and my charger will be unavailable for a week or two.

Will IO set up charging slots if I use Tesla mobile connector (granny charger)?