Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Drew57, thanks for the detailed reply, and apologies if I’m being a bit thick, I understand everything you have details, but my query, is hard to put down in writing, so may not be coming across correctly.

At the moment I just leave my car charge limit to 100% and then the podpoint just allows to charge in the cheap rate to top up whatever I can in that time slot, so depending on my driving day before that may only get me to say 80%, as my daily mileage is a bit sparadic I just do this virtually every day and then Eventually I will top back up to the 100% ( if I know I need to 100% for the next day then I override my chargers schedule.)

So essentially I just want to top up as much as I can in the 4hr window of go (currently)

How would this work with IO (appreciate would get 6 hrs, ) but if I am at 10% it would take longer than the 6hrs to reach 100% so presume I’ll need to reduce charge limit to say 70% ( I get about 10% an hour charge) so that I could fit all charging into the IO standard 6hrs? (Appreciate IO may choose to charge outside those time but I would still get off peak) but I assume if I ask for more KW that could usually be charged in those 6hrs then it will just keep charging on peak rate???

Appreciate any help

Thanks

Hi Drew57, thanks for the detailed reply, and apologies if I’m being a bit thick but I understand everything you have details but my query is

At the moment I just leave my car charge limit to 100% and then the podpoint just allows to charge in the cheap rate to top up whatever I can in that time slot, so depending on my driving day before that may only get me to say 80%, as my daily mileage is a bit sparadic I just do this virtually every day and the. Eventually I will top back up to the 100% ( if I know I need to 100% for the next day then I override my chargers schedule.

So essentially I just want to top up as much as I can int the 4hr window

How would this work with IO (appreciate would get 6 hrs, but if I am at 10% it would take longer than the 6hrs to reach 100% so presume I’ll need to reduce charge limit to say 70% ( I get about 10% an hour charge) so that I could fit all charging into the IO standard 6hrs? (Appreciate IO may choose to charge outside those time but I would still get off peak) but I assume if I ask for more KW that could usually be charged in those 6hrs then it will just keep charging on peak rate???

Thanks
Maybe it’s me but I really don’t know how I could have made my reply any clearer. Sorry.

IO will give you a schedule and it covers everything you require and always at off-peak.

Maybe it’s me but I really don’t know how I could have made my reply any clearer. Sorry.

IO will give you a schedule and it covers everything you require and always at off-peak.
It is probably me!

I think my question is will it cover everything under off peak even if I want to put in more kw than would be possible in the ‘6 hour’ slot?

So effectively I could charge from 0-100% every day on IO off peak rate?

Hi Drew57, thanks for the detailed reply, and apologies if I’m being a bit thick, I understand everything you have details, but my query, is hard to put down in writing, so may not be coming across correctly.

At the moment I just leave my car charge limit to 100% and then the podpoint just allows to charge in the cheap rate to top up whatever I can in that time slot, so depending on my driving day before that may only get me to say 80%, as my daily mileage is a bit sparadic I just do this virtually every day and then Eventually I will top back up to the 100% ( if I know I need to 100% for the next day then I override my chargers schedule.)

So essentially I just want to top up as much as I can in the 4hr window of go (currently)

How would this work with IO (appreciate would get 6 hrs, ) but if I am at 10% it would take longer than the 6hrs to reach 100% so presume I’ll need to reduce charge limit to say 70% ( I get about 10% an hour charge) so that I could fit all charging into the IO standard 6hrs? (Appreciate IO may choose to charge outside those time but I would still get off peak) but I assume if I ask for more KW that could usually be charged in those 6hrs then it will just keep charging on peak rate???

Appreciate any help

Thanks
Technically, if you left a schedule set on the PodPoint (but now from 11:30pm-5:30am), everything could work pretty much as it does now (If the PodPoint is not supplying power, IO can't do anything outside that).

However, I think you may be trying to work IO like you do Go, and that probably isn't the best way. I used to use Go just like you do, but I have found IO a revelation - I come home at night and plug the car in, and regardless of my SOC, by the morning my car is at 85% (mine's a 2020 model). If I've only used 10%, that is what IO supplies, however sometimes I arrive back with 15%, and IO just sorts that as well - all at a cheap(er) rate.

I had a healthy dose of mistrust when I switched to IO, but I'm so glad I did.

I think my question is will it cover everything under off peak even if I want to put in more kw than would be possible in the ‘6 hour’ slot?

For now, yes.

There is a get out in their t&cs that says the total amount of off-peak in a day could be capped at 6 hours, however to date, Octopus have been giving customers as much off-peak as is required to hit the target % in the time requested by the user.

It may change in the future.

It is probably me!

To be fair, if you have a 7.4kWh podpoint, in 6 hours, you could top off nearly 75% of your Y RWD battery (I reckon it's rated at 60kWh). Assuming you're not starting from 0% SoC, even then, you could nearly make in within the allocated slot anyway.

Reactions: goRt
Technically, if you left a schedule set on the PodPoint (but now from 11:30pm-5:30am), everything could work pretty much as it does now (If the PodPoint is not supplying power, IO can't do anything outside that).

However, I think you may be trying to work IO like you do Go, and that probably isn't the best way. I used to use Go just like you do, but I have found IO a revelation - I come home at night and plug the car in, and regardless of my SOC, by the morning my car is at 85% (mine's a 2020 model). If I've only used 10%, that is what IO supplies, however sometimes I arrive back with 15%, and IO just sorts that as well - all at a cheap(er) rate.

I had a healthy dose of mistrust when I switched to IO, but I'm so glad I did.
Hi mate just jumping on this as my Tesla arrives today and I’ll be doing the test charge to move to IO. Do you schedule all your charging in the car, on the octopus app or via pod point? Thanks

Hi mate just jumping on this as my Tesla arrives today and I’ll be doing the test charge to move to IO. Do you schedule all your charging in the car, on the octopus app or via pod point? Thanks
Bottom line is if you want to benefit the most from IO, disable all scheduling from podpoint and just let IO do its thing by specifying how much you want the car to be charged and by what time the following morning.
The only extra thing you can do is to specify on the Tesla app not to start the charge before 23.30, as this will prevent the car from immediately charging every time you plug it in, but will still allow IO to override this if Octopus gives you extra slots earlier.

Bottom line is if you want to benefit the most from IO, disable all scheduling from podpoint and just let IO do its thing by specifying how much you want the car to be charged and by what time the following morning.
The only extra thing you can do is to specify on the Tesla app not to start the charge before 23.30, as this will prevent the car from immediately charging every time you plug it in, but will still allow IO to override this if Octopus gives you extra slots earlier.
Thanks mate. I’ve no schedules set up on pod point yet as haven’t had an ev since I had it installed. So do I set how much charge I want and by what time In the octopus app?

What does IO override in the car settings?
Last night was my first night with IO and I had the car set at 50% limit and the octopus app at 80% - the car only charged to 50%

What does IO override in the car settings?
Last night was my first night with IO and I had the car set at 50% limit and the octopus app at 80% - the car only charged to 50%
It doesn't override the max level, Tesla will always have priority, however, if you have the 'Start charging from: 23.30', if IO give you a cheap slot before that, it will still allow to start the charging before that.
As IO sometimes can take up to a half hour to stop the initial charge, that prevents you from charging for this long on a potential peak rate.

Thanks mate. I’ve no schedules set up on pod point yet as haven’t had an ev since I had it installed. So do I set how much charge I want and by what time In the octopus app?
Once you'll have completed your test charge in the Octopus app on your phone you'll see a new 'Devices' tab at the bottom, from there you'll be able to specify the target SoC and target departure time every day, and Octopus will create a schedule of off-peak slots accordingly.

Reactions: waltonmark
IO requires you to schedule via the Octopus app. Depending upon your charger, you could nominate either your charger or your car as the 'connected device' (i.e. the means through which IO controls the charging).

Most nominate the car as the 'device' connected and it works perfectly, for me at least.

Reactions: waltonmark
IO is extremely generous and as @browellm says provided everyone doesn’t take the pi$$ we should all continue to benefit.

I plugged in the other evening at about 6pm on I think 8% and set a schedule for 09:00 to 90% in my M3. Car is set to start charging at 23:30 so no immediate charge to worry about👍

Checked back soon after and received this schedule
E8246DC7-8878-4034-BDAA-33F2F1D07316.jpeg
Bit of a long off peak window I’m sure you’d agree but this is their schedule, not mine.

I’d have been happy with less but this is how it rocks sometimes!

Who’s gonna complain?

Reactions: Yuff and browellm
IO is extremely generous and as @browellm says provided everyone doesn’t take the pi$$ we should all continue to benefit.

I plugged in the other evening at about 6pm on I think 8% and set a schedule for 09:00 to 90% in my M3. Car is set to start charging at 23:30 so no immediate charge to worry about👍

Checked back soon after and received this schedule Bit of a long off peak window I’m sure you’d agree but this is their schedule, not mine.

I’d have been happy with less but this is how it rocks sometimes!

Who’s gonna complain?

You on 3pin plug? I've borked my Tesla charger, so while it's being fixed I'm on 3pin, I'm seeing a few of these more generous ones (albeit as I charge daily, it never gets too low, and so often more like 9:30pm to 7am sort of thing).

You on 3pin plug? I've borked my Tesla charger, so while it's being fixed I'm on 3pin, I'm seeing a few of these more generous ones (albeit as I charge daily, it never gets too low, and so often more like 9:30pm to 7am sort of thing).
Nope I'm on a 7kW wall charger 🤷‍♂️

8h or so of charge would have done I know but that's what is set up to do.

However, knowing the likelihood it would complete sometime in the middle of the smart schedule I stopped it as it was draining my house battery and I was concerned it would leave me empty and then cause me to use grid at peak time.

I haven't the courage yet to let it run and see if I'm billed for 15h off peak rates.

In time... when I grow a pair!

Reactions: phil4
I haven't the courage yet to let it run and see if I'm billed for 15h off peak rates.

In time... when I grow a pair!
When I started (August last year) I kept a diary noting the times given, and the stop times of the charger, with such questions as "finished at 06:45am, will it still be cheap until 8am when the slot ends".

I then went through the bill at month end, and yes, every time I'd been allocated the slots, didn't matter if it had stopped charging, it was cheap rate. It might have changed since though.

Reactions: ElectricPolice
When I started (August last year) I kept a diary noting the times given, and the stop times of the charger, with such questions as "finished at 06:45am, will it still be cheap until 8am when the slot ends".

I then went through the bill at month end, and yes, every time I'd been allocated the slots, didn't matter if it had stopped charging, it was cheap rate. It might have changed since though.
See, my experience is the opposite. I also kept a log of extra charge periods outside the standard window and found for any blocks after 0530, if the car had finished charging earlier in the night those blocks were charged at the peak rate. I assume IO regularly monitors SoC and adjusts (adds or removes) blocks as necessary.