Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
They don't do all day charging, even if the window is, their own T&Cs confirm off-peak scheduled charging for at most 6 hours per 24 - with more potentially charged at peak rate at their discretion. Those on 3-pin will certainly be familiar with charging suddenly stopping early evening too.

i.e. 5d. “Intelligent Octopus is subject to a fair use policy with a maximum of six hours of managed charging per 24 hours - which is enough for most electric vehicles to reach a full charge. Usage in excess of these six hours per day may be charged at the day rate.”
They do, but even if they didn’t, people are still getting all day windows because they’re on a 3 pin charger.

On another note, has anyone had issues with getting a schedule recently? My Tesla was rebooted by a tech for a potential issue and then rebooted by me. I had to reconnect the car to IO via settings, both times, but now when I plug in, IO does nothing until I go in and start/stop a bump charge, after which it gives me a schedule. This is after me leaving it for an hour and a half to see if it would come up with one.

Quick question re the charging graph???

Received my bill today and the bill was split as most was on Go and a out 7days on IO
My go graph seems to read as it should with the rate dipping between the cheap 4hr window, but the IO rates look like I’m being charged at the 10p for the whole day? Any ideas?🤔

Example graph
D36DC627-1117-400E-971B-E19DF6886544.png

Quick question re the charging graph???

Received my bill today and the bill was split as most was on Go and a out 7days on IO
My go graph seems to read as it should with the rate dipping between the cheap 4hr window, but the IO rates look like I’m being charged at the 10p for the whole day? Any ideas?🤔

Example graphView attachment 920198
Looks like they’ve averaged out your use and charged you that across the whole day. On IO you’d see the rate go up and down according to the off/high peak rates.

I still find it crazy that people are getting these massive charge windows, and I can't even get one that'll charge to 100% from anything less than 50% :D

I'd imagine in future Octopus are going to limit this to 7kwh chargers only as giving all day cheap windows for 3 pin plug chargers seems excessive
It’s early days but IO has been utterly flawless in our first month. Hasn’t missed a charge at all and has always given us off peak rates even for large charges.

The SO has been doing a 140 mile round trip twice a week which could have been troublesome sometimes with Go’s 4 hour window. IO just gets to charge limit every night regardless.

Naturally I expect it all to go horribly wrong tonight now I’ve posted this…

• Funny
Reactions: rowedav
Is that good or bad, I have a GivEnergy battery system
It's good. It means you'll be able to sync your battery functions to your off-peak slots generated by Intelligent. Either don't pull from your home battery, or charge the battery back up during off-peak.
Would this mean that it wouldn't allow battery discharge when charging the EV? this is great news as I am expecting to get Solar + 9.5Kwh Givenergy battery on the 1st week of May.
Yep.

This can be done today with a home brew setup, but it's fiddly to set up. Obviously it's going to be much better if Octopus can wrap a nice web interface around it.

Reactions: Yuff and giorgosa
It's good. It means you'll be able to sync your battery functions to your off-peak slots generated by Intelligent. Either don't pull from your home battery, or charge the battery back up during off-peak.

Yep.

This can be done today with a home brew setup, but it's fiddly to set up. Obviously it's going to be much better if Octopus can wrap a nice web interface around it.
That sounds fab

Yep.

any idea if PylonTech batteries or Growatt inverters can be synced?

Anyoner know if this is normal for IO on Octopus. We took a short 4 day break away and received this. Soon I shouldn't be using any electricity either at peak or off-peak times on IO as the sun will provide all.

We've experienced a recent issue connecting to your EV via Intelligent Octopus. In order to resolve this issue we'll just need you to reconnect your device (EV). You can do this by opening your Octopus Energy app and:

1. Going to Account & Settings (top corner button)
  2. Tapping on the Intelligent Octopus section
  3. Scrolling down and tapping "reconnect device"
Make sure your device is at home when doing this so that the location for charging isn't updated incorrectly.

Don't worry, the tariff is still applied to your account and your billing won't be affected, this is just to ensure that you can charge reliably going forward.

Anyoner know if this is normal for IO on Octopus. We took a short 4 day break away and received this. Soon I shouldn't be using any electricity either at peak or off-peak times on IO as the sun will provide all.

We've experienced a recent issue connecting to your EV via Intelligent Octopus. In order to resolve this issue we'll just need you to reconnect your device (EV). You can do this by opening your Octopus Energy app and:

1. Going to Account & Settings (top corner button)
  2. Tapping on the Intelligent Octopus section
  3. Scrolling down and tapping "reconnect device"
Make sure your device is at home when doing this so that the location for charging isn't updated incorrectly.

Don't worry, the tariff is still applied to your account and your billing won't be affected, this is just to ensure that you can charge reliably going forward.
I’ve had the same message this week, although I’ve been at home. I haven’t needed to charge since last weekend and won’t until tomorrow.

• Informative
Reactions: RedMod3
I’m new to IO and my schedule for tonight finishes at 07:30.

Provided I leave the car plugged in, that means the whole house gets cheap electricity until 07:30 doesn’t it?

What happens if the car is fully charged by say by 6:30. Do I still get cheap rate for the rest of the house until 07:30 or because the car is fully charged, Octopus know and delete the last hour of cheap rate charging?

Thanks.

Provided I leave the car plugged in, that means the whole house gets cheap electricity until 07:30 doesn’t it?

What happens if the car is fully charged by say by 6:30. Do I still get cheap rate for the rest of the house until 07:30 or because the car is fully charged, Octopus know and delete the last hour of cheap rate charging?

Thanks.
You get cheap power every night from 11:30 to 05:30, plus for any extra periods that you get allocated.

If you have batteries, you may find the battery is drained outside the regular window.

Thanks.
If your window is till 07:30 - your cheap rate is till 07:30

Reactions: a900ss

Thanks.
It depends on whether IO re-runs the charge map after the car is fully charged. If IO detects the charge has completed, it will remove any remaining charge periods.

Whether or not this happens remains a mystery. My testing has shown sometimes it will clear the remaining charge periods, whilst other times it will wake the car up and try to charge it at the beginning of every window not realising the car is done.

Reactions: a900ss
Hi all, sorry for the total newb question.. Picked up MY today, switched to IO this afternoon and am confused about the best way to set the charge schedule up. I've set the target SOC and departure time in the Ohme app (octopus app told me to do it in the Ohme app) and haven't set anything charge related in the Tesla app. Is this correct? Sorry for being an ignoramus!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230324-200034-615.png
    Screenshot_20230324-200034-615.png
    244.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20230324-200215-297.png
    Screenshot_20230324-200215-297.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20230324-200151-644.png
    Screenshot_20230324-200151-644.png
    30 KB · Views: 26