Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, read that. And fully understand your issue.

You’ve been given the solution many times. Just turn off the notifications, then they won’t wake you up, and you’ll wake up to a fully charged car.

Just silence and ignore them. If you need more than 6 hours, you’ll find that IO will probably give you more than 6 hours to get to whatever state you need to get to in the time you specify.

Or charge it without smart charge turned on using the cars schedule. Or plug it in more often.

I get a lot of spam notifications when I’m asleep but I don’t let it wake me up or get in a rage about, I just silence them. Imagine if I started raging about WhatsApp spam waking me up but refused to block it or silence it.

Chill out ✌️

Sometimes it’s just best to be blissfully anaware…

1686717133204.png

• Funny
Reactions: Cardo
Thanks for your help. What do you mean by read the octopus every half hour to disable PW discharge? Do you mean set up a script to do this? Is there a setting to stop the PW discharging? I cant find a setting to stop PW discharge.
To stop the Powerwall discharging you set the Backup Reserve to the current level - e.g if battery is currently 56%, setting Backup Reserve to 56% effectively stops discharge.

To stop the Powerwall discharging you set the Backup Reserve to the current level - e.g if battery is currently 56%, setting Backup Reserve to 56% effectively stops discharge.
That’s effectively what I do with my GivEnergy batteries if I don’t want them charging the car or being used to heat the hot water etc overnight…….
I fail to see why people get so upset when they lose 2-3% battery etc
IO, to me, works brilliantly

That’s effectively what I do with my GivEnergy batteries if I don’t want them charging the car or being used to heat the hot water etc overnight…….
I fail to see why people get so upset when they lose 2-3% battery etc
IO, to me, works brilliantly
Well, I don’t know how to code so can’t really modulate the PW behaviour to IO charge slots.
If I get a 1 hour slot outside the off peak hours of 23:30 to 05:30, that is 15% battery charge I lose needlessly (and that’s because I have a lot of storage, it’ll be more for people with smaller batteries).
It’s not a trivial amount, certainly not 2-3% battery :/ and it may deplete the batteries to the point when I’m then using peak rate electricity.

To be honest, I haven’t moved to IO yet so I have no idea how many slots I’m likely to get outside of off peak times so I may be worrying too much…

Well, I don’t know how to code so can’t really modulate the PW behaviour to IO charge slots.
If I get a 1 hour slot outside the off peak hours of 23:30 to 05:30, that is 15% battery charge I lose needlessly (and that’s because I have a lot of storage, it’ll be more for people with smaller batteries).
It’s not a trivial amount, certainly not 2-3% battery :/ and it may deplete the batteries to the point when I’m then using peak rate electricity.

To be honest, I haven’t moved to IO yet so I have no idea how many slots I’m likely to get outside of off peak times so I may be worrying too much…
I find it quite simple now…

It works as it should, if you set a charge limit which is realistic (ie what you expect to get in 6h IO - for me 50% M3LR) and tell it to be done by 05:30 then it will be. If you want to game the system and specify 90% charge and to be ready by 9am then it’ll likely run late. Yes house battery discharges but you’ve just blagged 3.5h extra off peak.

If you’re then smart you set the house battery to charge from the grid for a specified time until 9am to carry you until the solar charge exceeds the house load. All in the name of no peak usage.

Mostly the moans are those wanting more than 6h charge then complaining their battery is getting depleted.

Can have your cake and eat it if you’re smart.

Happy with my IO. It has its moments but when I really NEED a charge I switch it off and run dumbly for 6h.

If I’m going nowhere and arrive home empty I’ll chance my arm with a full charge ready by 05:30 when I plug in at 7pm and usually it’ll set a schedule immediately. I then get the washing done😎

Just my experience of the system so far that’s all. Happy days.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
cor haven't been here for a while and it's a bit spicy round here these days.

am I allowed to say I'm very slightly mildly miffed as I can't even get a smart meter out of Octopus yet so no smart tariffs for me at all.

mind you I do value my sleep, so any interruption might just tip me over the edge into moderately miffed, and can't be having that so will just keep my phone in a glass of water overnight - that should sort it.

(of course if my phone turns out to not be as waterproof as it claims and I miss an email in the morning then I will properly scatter my marbles)

• Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro
cor haven't been here for a while and it's a bit spicy round here these days.

am I allowed to say I'm very slightly mildly miffed as I can't even get a smart meter out of Octopus yet so no smart tariffs for me at all.

mind you I do value my sleep, so any interruption might just tip me over the edge into moderately miffed, and can't be having that so will just keep my phone in a glass of water overnight - that should sort it.

(of course if my phone turns out to not be as waterproof as it claims and I miss an email in the morning then I will properly scatter my marbles)
My brother just moved to Octopus start of June, and when he logged into online account a message popped up offering him smart meter appointment a month later. Unless there are other issues with your set up, then it might be worth chasing them up.

As of 15 June 2023, some questions :

Q1. Has anyone had any joy using a Zappi charger (from myenergi) with the any of the Octopus 'smart' TimeOfUse (ToU) tariffs - and especially with the IO tariff ? It is still not showing as a compatible charger in the Octopus drop-down lists. Also there are reports that it was supposed to become a supported charger by May 2023 but no update after this one,

Q2. We have a Zappi car charger which gets used by visitors. We also have ~8kW of solar PV and 30kWh of storage, all on SolarEdge. However when I work through the eligibility criteria that Octopus are imposing it requires that we either own an EV or have one on order, neither of which are yet the case. Therefore this seems to bar us from using the better ToU tariffs (Intelligent Octopus = 7.5p/kWh; and Octopus Go = 9.5p/kWh), push us to the worse tariffs of which the best available seems to be Octopus Flux (best import rate 20p/kWh). I guess we could place an EV order then cancel or postpone it, but does anyone know of any workarounds that Octopus are happy to accept ?

Q3. I hear that GoodEnergy have now licenced the Octopus Kraken module for domestic ToU tariff management and are now going through internal beta testing. Has anybody any more info than this ?

I'm using Zappi with the Model 3. You need to configure IO to control the Tesla rather than the Zappi. Anyone else charging at yours will get the 6h default (23:30-05:30) from IO. Just configure the Zappi to limit charging to these hours when charging any other vehicle than your Tesla.

For charging the Model 3:

- I have found that setting a schedule on the Zappi can start charging outside the IO window.

- So I tend to limit it to starting at 23:30

- If I don't need a charge, still plug in, but Zappi is set to Eco+

IO will then schedule the charge anyway. Zappi will block it (until there is solar). IO gave us 11.5h of cheap rate last night. So the house almost runs for free given solar is currently covering nearly all of the rest of the time.

IO will stop the charge at the end of the window. So this morning, I get up, and at 8am car stops charging (off solar) having used no mains since Zappi prevents that. I then go to Tesla app, start charging again, this overrides IO's control, and I get some free charge.

Sometimes I miss out on some solar (eg if I sleep in and the IO window stops before I get up) but the nearly 12h of 7.5p seems to me to be worth that.

Q1. Has anyone had any joy using a Zappi charger (from myenergi) with the any of the Octopus 'smart' TimeOfUse (ToU) tariffs - and especially with the IO tariff ?
You can use literally any EVSE with Tesla IO integration as long as all smart features and schedules are turned off.

You may be referring to Zappi integration with IO, analagous to what Ohme have. That's still under development and hasn't been released.

Reactions: petit_bateau
You can use literally any EVSE with Tesla IO integration as long as all smart features and schedules are turned off.

You may be referring to Zappi integration with IO, analagous to what Ohme have. That's still under development and hasn't been released.
I appreciate that in principle one could use a Zappi (with a Tesla), but the Octopus dialogue won't allow that option. Instead one has to pretend only to have a three-pin plug etc.

Octopus Energy

But indeed it seems pretty that Octopus hasn't released the Zappi integration yet.

What's more Octopus call centre refuse to discuss giving storage customers (without EVs) access to the IO or IGO tarrifs. They will literally put the phone down on a caller. Octopus call centre won't say why this is either. (Intelligent Octopus = import rate 7.5p/kWh; and Octopus Go = 9.5p/kWh <<<<< versus >>>>> best available storage tariff Octopus Flux import rate 20p/kWh). Octopus won't reveal why this is, just "go away".

Hmmmm .........

I appreciate that in principle one could use a Zappi (with a Tesla), but the Octopus dialogue won't allow that option. Instead one has to pretend only to have a three-pin plug etc.
That is completely wrong.

In January 2022 I selected Tesla Model 3 and Zappi (7kWh) when signing up to IO. The test charge completed and I used it without any issues for 11 months.
....I deleted this combination on the day I purchased a new car.

In December 2022 I selected Tesla Model Y and Zappi (7kWh) when re-connecting the new car to IO. The test charge completed and I have used it without any issues ever since.

Nothing 'in principle' or not allowed, no pretending - simple to set up, easy to use, reliable.