Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it's time for a lot of us to consider which tariff to move to. We're currently on Flux and benefit from a fairly large 10kwp + PV array and 19kwh of battery storage. We also have an infrequently used Model Y which sits on the drive other than say maybe a couple of trips per week. Most charging has been from solar over summer (other than road trips) but I guess we'll charge a max of once per week during winter from the grid.

My immediate thought was to jump back on Go (no Go Faster these days unfortunately) but it only gets our batteries to around 75% charged in the cheap 4 hour window. However, even on very poor solar days in winter, we still get 3 or 4 kwh. We've also just had A2A installed and I guess we'll be using something like 10kwh per day in winter. Taking into account average house usage plus the new A2A, some quick sums suggest we could be around 5kwh short on poor days if we use the Go tariff.

Looking at the Intelligent Octopus tariff, I see a 6 hour 'cheap' period. Also a lower unit price than Go. So I'm strongly considering switching to that rather than Go. If we can make it work properly, IO will give us full batteries and with our generation even on poor days, gets us very close to our requirements.

However, given our limited use of the car and infrequent charging needs, are we going to breach any of the IO terms please? I think I saw somewhere that you have to charge at least once per month? If so, no problem.

We have a Zappi and a 'dumb' charger, so no issue letting Octopus control the charging, However, can I just disable the intelligent bit other than on the (few) days when I need to charge the car? There was also a post in a similar topic which advised caution when using IO with batteries, but didn't say why exactly? Any idea what that might refer to please?

Given the above, any reason I'm possibly missing for not switching to IO rather than Go please? I'm aware that this isn't entirely in the spirit of what the tariff is intended for, but I'm damn sure Octopus have done quite well out of us historically so it doesn't worry me too much :)

Cheers

I’ve only done a couple of chargers on iO, I’m using a Tesla dumb wall connector, one thing I did notice, when plugged in it start charging at only 1kwh.

anyway drew57s method of setting both the car and the charger to the same value will ensure I receive the correct charge in future. Still, it’s a faff and I wish GO was still available.
GO is still available.

We have a Zappi and a 'dumb' charger, so no issue letting Octopus control the charging, However, can I just disable the intelligent bit other than on the (few) days when I need to charge the car? There was also a post in a similar topic which advised caution when using IO with batteries, but didn't say why exactly? Any idea what that might refer to please?

Given the above, any reason I'm possibly missing for not switching to IO rather than Go please? I'm aware that this isn't entirely in the spirit of what the tariff is intended for, but I'm damn sure Octopus have done quite well out of us historically so it doesn't worry me too much :)

The issue with house batteries relates to car charging draining these but if you can set a battery app block discharge period for 23.30-05.30 this will rarely happen (doing this, I set IO to have the car ready by by 05.30 so it almost always charges in the standard off-peak period & therefore has no impact on the house batteries).

I also disable IO a lot during the summer and let the Zappi charge the car with excess PV but make sure there is an occasional IO charge just to keep with the spirit of the tariff. There is no limit on how much/little SOC is required so if you don't need much each time that will be fine.

You will have no issue doing likewise & in winter, no doubt IO will be used more regularly.

Reactions: spon88
Looks like it's time for a lot of us to consider which tariff to move to. We're currently on Flux and benefit from a fairly large 10kwp + PV array and 19kwh of battery storage. We also have an infrequently used Model Y which sits on the drive other than say maybe a couple of trips per week. Most charging has been from solar over summer (other than road trips) but I guess we'll charge a max of once per week during winter from the grid.

My immediate thought was to jump back on Go (no Go Faster these days unfortunately) but it only gets our batteries to around 75% charged in the cheap 4 hour window. However, even on very poor solar days in winter, we still get 3 or 4 kwh. We've also just had A2A installed and I guess we'll be using something like 10kwh per day in winter. Taking into account average house usage plus the new A2A, some quick sums suggest we could be around 5kwh short on poor days if we use the Go tariff.

Looking at the Intelligent Octopus tariff, I see a 6 hour 'cheap' period. Also a lower unit price than Go. So I'm strongly considering switching to that rather than Go. If we can make it work properly, IO will give us full batteries and with our generation even on poor days, gets us very close to our requirements.

However, given our limited use of the car and infrequent charging needs, are we going to breach any of the IO terms please? I think I saw somewhere that you have to charge at least once per month? If so, no problem.

Cheers
In your situation, I would definitely favour Intelligent over Go. You get the longer and cheaper off-peak period. The current T&Cs are very vague in relation to the requirements, but my take on it is you just have to have a car active on the account; there’s no requirement to even charge every month or have smart charge enabled. I was recently away from home for almost 5 months with smart charge disabled (but the car still linked to the account) and Octopus couldn’t have cared less. If you remove the car from the account for over 30 days Octopus will likely come knocking. The only consideration would be to set it up not to discharge your house batteries if you do charge the car using IO and it gives you slots outside the standard 2330-0530 window, but you could opt not to allow the car to charge outside the window by setting the Zappi to Eco+ with a schedule between 2330-0530.

Cheers folks, from the answers it does seem that IO should be the choice. I'm used to charging the car with the batteries configured so they don't discharge, so no issues there. I reckon Flux is good for a few weeks yet (we'll push 20 kwh exported today) but I know it can take a few weeks to switch over, so I'll try to get some insight from Octopus sharpish - I know they're busy and don't want to get delayed too much.

I had a similar choice to make recently - and Octopus clearly want more people on IO as it just looks/is the more attractive proposition now than Go. For me it was 4hrs @ 9.5p per kw vs 6hrs @ 7.5p per kw - which made it a bit of a no brainer. Plus, 6hrs is the minimum but you may get more depending on what schedules you get. I was worried about IO but it's been pretty reliable for me so far.

Cheers folks, from the answers it does seem that IO should be the choice. I'm used to charging the car with the batteries configured so they don't discharge, so no issues there. I reckon Flux is good for a few weeks yet (we'll push 20 kwh exported today) but I know it can take a few weeks to switch over, so I'll try to get some insight from Octopus sharpish - I know they're busy and don't want to get delayed too much.
When I switched from Go to Intelligent it happened within hours if not minutes. Started switchover, connected the car and carried out test charge and was then showing on Intelligent later that afternoon.

When I switched from Go to Intelligent it happened within hours if not minutes. Started switchover, connected the car and carried out test charge and was then showing on Intelligent later that afternoon.
I thought I'd switched from Go to IO last Friday. I did test charge etc and had 2 nights of charge schedules that worked. Then I get an email today asking me if I'm still interested in IO as I've accepted the t&C's but not completed the switch. Crazy

I thought I'd switched from Go to IO last Friday. I did test charge etc and had 2 nights of charge schedules that worked. Then I get an email today asking me if I'm still interested in IO as I've accepted the t&C's but not completed the switch. Crazy
Look in the Octopus app.

If it shows you’re on the IO tariff and the device is show as connected in the Octopus app (the car), you’re on IO already and I’d ignore the email. 👍🏻

I switched to IO a month ago. Couldn’t be more happy. Switch was easy, all done in their app. It showed as all completed in the Octopus app within 2 days, everything was working on day 1 though after the test charge. Model Y, Tesla Gen 3 charger.

I set the off peak end time to 05:30 in the Tesla app and leave it plugged in all the time when at home. IO will top it up to the 80% set in the Tesla app and Octopus app during the 6 hour window of needed. But it won’t start charging immediately at peak rate when plugged in (but if it did, it would only be a short while and only a tiny bit from the batteries). All our charging was done within the standard 6 hour window (never arrived home with less than 22% car battery though). Which is a 58% charge to 80% on the Y ~ just under 42kWh to add, which at 7kW charge rate is just less than 6 hours! Perfect.
I’ve never seen it under or overcharge once.

During summer, I just modify the settings in the Tesla app to top up/ charge a bit from Solar at a reduced rate when there is excess solar (say 5A, or 10A, 16A, whatever works with your inverter(s) max output and allows for house background use without any peak input); The car charges fine from Solar that way without peak import or excessive export and in my experience Intelligent Octopus doesn’t take over and stop the car from charging from solar during the day. Then overnight (and in winter) IO will do its thing ((at 32A full rate) if needed).

I’m guessing you likely have a GivEnergy system of 2x 9.5kW batteries (to make the 19kW you say you have, maybe not though?) !
If thats the case you just set/ vary the off peak charging percentage in the GE portal/app to “timed charge” between 23:30-05:30 to whatever % you need depending on time of year (ie maybe 10% in summer, 100% in winter and whatever else for in between months). The batteries will then charge to and hold that %age until 05:30, while the car charges from grid at 7.5p. In the depths of winter you just have to accept that you may pull some peak when the batteries run out in the evening.

This works brilliantly for us, complies with their T’s and C’s, is zero faff and maximises total savings.

Hope all that may be of some help to you.

I have a question about Octopus IO. Do they use the data uploaded to Octopus from the smart meter for billing, or the meter reading from the smart meter?

I’ll try and explain!

I have switched to IO a few weeks ago using my Tesla as the connected car and charged it up successfully. The other day I charged our Nissan Leaf between the hours of 23:30 and 05:30. The data downloaded from Octopus shows it charged successfully between those times. The smart meter data uploaded shows we used 3.510kWh of standard rate electricity and 22.092kWh of cheaper for that day. But the meter built into the smart meter says we used 17kWh of standard rate electricity and 8kWh of cheaper rate.

Yes I do take the meter readings daily.

I have tried emailing Octopus but they (as usual) have not answered my email.

Here is a screenshot of the Octopus data:
IMG_0685.jpeg

I switched to IO a month ago. Couldn’t be more happy. Switch was easy, all done in their app. It showed as all completed in the Octopus app within 2 days, everything was working on day 1 though after the test charge. Model Y, Tesla Gen 3 charger.

I set the off peak end time to 05:30 in the Tesla app and leave it plugged in all the time when at home. IO will top it up to the 80% set in the Tesla app and Octopus app during the 6 hour window of needed. But it won’t start charging immediately at peak rate when plugged in (but if it did, it would only be a short while and only a tiny bit from the batteries). All our charging was done within the standard 6 hour window (never arrived home with less than 22% car battery though). Which is a 58% charge to 80% on the Y ~ just under 42kWh to add, which at 7kW charge rate is just less than 6 hours! Perfect.
I’ve never seen it under or overcharge once.

During summer, I just modify the settings in the Tesla app to top up/ charge a bit from Solar at a reduced rate when there is excess solar (say 5A, or 10A, 16A, whatever works with your inverter(s) max output and allows for house background use without any peak input); The car charges fine from Solar that way without peak import or excessive export and in my experience Intelligent Octopus doesn’t take over and stop the car from charging from solar during the day. Then overnight (and in winter) IO will do its thing ((at 32A full rate) if needed).

I’m guessing you likely have a GivEnergy system of 2x 9.5kW batteries (to make the 19kW you say you have, maybe not though?) !
If thats the case you just set/ vary the off peak charging percentage in the GE portal/app to “timed charge” between 23:30-05:30 to whatever % you need depending on time of year (ie maybe 10% in summer, 100% in winter and whatever else for in between months). The batteries will then charge to and hold that %age until 05:30, while the car charges from grid at 7.5p. In the depths of winter you just have to accept that you may pull some peak when the batteries run out in the evening.

This works brilliantly for us, complies with their T’s and C’s, is zero faff and maximises total savings.

Hope all that may be of some help to you.
That's great, appreciated. I do indeed have a GE system with 2 x 9.5 batteries. I'm gleaning that it will be possible to follow our normal winter regimen with IO without too much concern. The only difference compared to what we did on GO appears to be toggling IO charging on/off for the infrequent car charging we do these days. The 6 hours at what looks like a very competitive rate is a big bonus. Day time grid draw, even on the worst days in winter, should be marginal.

As we have quite a meaty array, we will get some decent days where generation is in excess, so I may look for a decent export tariff to mop that bit up. There are better options than Octopus SEG these days I believe but not researched it yet. However, may not be worth the hassle for a few quid, so might just stick any extra in the batteries and reduce overnight charging.

Reactions: Pete UK
I have a question about Octopus IO. Do they use the data uploaded to Octopus from the smart meter for billing, or the meter reading from the smart meter?

I’ll try and explain!

I have switched to IO a few weeks ago using my Tesla as the connected car and charged it up successfully. The other day I charged our Nissan Leaf between the hours of 23:30 and 05:30. The data downloaded from Octopus shows it charged successfully between those times. The smart meter data uploaded shows we used 3.510kWh of standard rate electricity and 22.092kWh of cheaper for that day. But the meter built into the smart meter says we used 17kWh of standard rate electricity and 8kWh of cheaper rate.

Yes I do take the meter readings daily.

I have tried emailing Octopus but they (as usual) have not answered my email.

Here is a screenshot of the Octopus data:
View attachment 969712
It's not really an IO specific question, but your bill comes from the readings stored in your meter. That's the one version of the truth.

And by meter, I mean the box on the outside of your house not the IHD which shouldn't be used for any billing calculations.

It's not really an IO specific question, but your bill comes from the readings stored in your meter. That's the one version of the truth.

And by meter, I mean the box on the outside of your house not the IHD which shouldn't be used for any billing calculations.
It is an IO sort of question as does this mean that they charge full rate if I charge my Leaf in the cheap period.

Also I am not looking at the IHD (I don’t have one) I am comparing the data the smart met has sent to Octopus against the rate 1 and rate 2 meter readings stored on the meter itself. Because they disagree with each other, for instance the day rate (rate 1) on the meter says 54kWh but the data uploaded to Octopus says 48.736kWh…

It is an IO sort of question as does this mean that they charge full rate if I charge my Leaf in the cheap period.

Also I am not looking at the IHD (I don’t have one) I am comparing the data the smart met has sent to Octopus against the rate 1 and rate 2 meter readings stored on the meter itself. Because they disagree with each other, for instance the day rate (rate 1) on the meter says 54kWh but the data uploaded to Octopus says 48.736kWh…
Those rate registers are legacy Economy 7 though. They're nothing to do with HH readings that IO uses. Check your statement when it arrives - everything will be fine.

This is an example of the daily summary you get on the statement
1693488027002.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Planky