Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
There should be a way of forcing IO to stop the charge and create a schedule, but I haven't found one yet. Even changing the %age charge or departure time doesn't seem to prompt IO to create a schedule.

Interestingly, I woke up at 6am today, checked the Octopus app and as soon as I refreshed it, it gave me a schedule of 6:00am to 8:00am and started charging.
Try waking the car up by unlocking it and locking it again.

I've recently been having issues with my Zappi 2 & Tesla 3 in that I cannot get the Octopus app to create a charging schedule. I plug in with the Zappi in "FAST" mode, stop the charge using the Tesla app, and then usually I get a schedule appear in the Octopus app within a few minutes, but in the last few days I have just get the message about waiting for the car to be plugged in.

It has work successfully for months, so I wonder what has changed? Is IO trying to schedule via the Zappi?
I’ve recently found IO taking a while to generate schedules. I’m using the Zappi integration rather than the Tesla one, but I occasionally find the car is plugged in for hours before a schedule is generated. However, I generally find an easy way to force an update is to change the IO settings, either SoC target or ready by time. Turning off/on doesn’t seem to make any difference.

This was one of the reason I got the Zappi a while back (as it was rumoured to become IO compatible) and to compliment the forthcoming solar installation. Turns out that Wallbox which I also have became available first on the octopus app (without request) and it works (for the past month at least) flawlessly. Typically running 4 EV's here plugging in at different times, it turns out for most part the only peak times are 16:00 to 18:30.

The Zappi for the most part is somewhat redundant as far as solar goes at the moment since ive setup the powerwall to export all the solar since it pays double of that I buy from the grid. Amazing!

Im not to sure of what the difference is between the the wallbox and Zappi integration with IO since they both work through ocpp but it might just be early stages for the Zappi on this and its a far more complex unit to setup than the Wallbox hence more likely to have a few gremlins at start.

Octopus are rapidly making the great features of myenergi hardware redundant.

Their 15p export means the eddi is no longer financially viable to divert excess solar. And now the io features of compatible cars and ev chargers are neutering the zappi.

Yes indeed. I was also set on buying another battery as well as more panels but at this rate the panels will definitely be happening but im seeing little need for the battery at the moment since most of my electricity rate is already on cheap rate to the point that half of the storage from the powerwall would more than suffice. The only sense I could make on another powerwall would be the most definite eventuality of changing the gas cooker to induction and possibly needing a bit more pulling power.

Myenergi was shown as part of the initial IO/Tesla sign up right from the beginning & I have used a Zappi since I joined the tariff in January 2022. It has always worked without fault (or gremlins).
Thats great and I dont doubt it. However, being that you've had it working with IO since january 2022 and its been in beta testing until very recently and not available on IO without invite, im sure there have been hurdles to overcome. As I said. there is allot more to the setup on a Zappi toward lets say a wallbox and its not really helpful that still up to date, its not very user friendly with allot of the setting up and settings only being possible through the unit itself and not the app. Im really happy with mine but other than being able to see the total house consumption (my powerwall cant see the chargers) there is at present no other benefit on having replaced the other wallbox that I had since the ability of using the extra solar is (at this point in time at least) null and void per say unless there is a power cut during the day so at least there is that.

My FIT is only 15p but that's on 50% of the entire generation, plus export rate, whereas 15p on the Octopus deal is only on export.. So it's still more profitable to stick with FIT.

(If I could get Octopus to actually pay FIT, which is a long story).
Almost the same for me however we do still export a considerable amount via the second set of panels but no easy way to differentiate the FIT part from the rest because the Smart meter will only record the total.

British Gas manage my FIT. Initially it was very efficient and prompt then a nightmare in 2021 when they migrated IT systems, then OK for about 8 months followed by three periods where their system decided we had three conflicting accounts so payments were delayed while I 'fought' with them. Without explanation everything for the past two quarters has been back as it used to be in the beginning & payment happens within a few days of submitting the FIT reading. Throughout all this I must say I had dealings with one person in the UK complaints department with a level of customer responsiveness that I have not experienced either prior or since - simply exceptional, especially within such a huge and cumbersome organisation.

I wouldn't be surprised if things change again for the worse again though.

I was with BG back in the day.. they used to insist on sending a cheque which was a PITA to put into the account (cheque imaging not being a thing then). You had to give a reading by phone and it was a different set of people each time due to the churn in the company. Glad to hear it got better.

I'm still waiting for my June FIT from Octopus.. Their support have been exceptional too, but not in a good way..

email from octopus, last week, about my export meter

Hi ******,

Thank you for your email.

So the smart team let us know that we can’t add the export on currently due to the Export MPAN not being recognised as Export. They have sent off a flow to hopefully get Ecoes updated so we can then raise the issue with the LLF (what we use to determine whether it’s exported or not.

Please check back with me next week on the status of this, and I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Best wishes,

My FIT is only 15p but that's on 50% of the entire generation, plus export rate, whereas 15p on the Octopus deal is only on export.. So it's still more profitable to stick with FIT.

(If I could get Octopus to actually pay FIT, which is a long story).
I switched my FIT payments to Octopus, it was painless and they pay in 2-3 days rather than 2-3 weeks with Scottish Power or 2-3 months with Southern Electric!

Seems to be a Tesla API authentication issue at present in the Android app. Can get SSO token from Tesla, car gets identified, Kraken unable to connect.

1699801826430.png

I'm thinking of switching from Go to Intelligent Go, mostly to get the 15p export rate but also for the longer low rate hours and lower rate (7.5p against 9p). I've one question though, regarding solar batteries. I have a 4kW PV array and GivEnergy 5.2kWh battery. With IO, if it, for example, sets a charge slot during the day, this is going to result in my battery rapidly discharging into the car, which is not what I want. Other than constantly going in to the GivEnergy app to stop the battery discharging is there any way around it?

With IO, if it, for example, sets a charge slot during the day, this is going to result in my battery rapidly discharging into the car, which is not what I want. Other than constantly going in to the GivEnergy app to stop the battery discharging is there any way around it?
Yes and no.

To stop this happening for me most of the time I set the finish by time to be 05:30 which is also the time I tell GivEnergy to stop charging my battery. For the occasions where I need a large charge that will need to start before 23:30 you have to manually set the minimum discharge % to match what you SoC currently is within the GivEnergy settings (and then remember to lower it again the next day).

• Helpful
Reactions: KennethS
Yes and no.

To stop this happening for me most of the time I set the finish by time to be 05:30 which is also the time I tell GivEnergy to stop charging my battery. For the occasions where I need a large charge that will need to start before 23:30 you have to manually set the minimum discharge % to match what you SoC current is within the GivEnergy settings (and then remember to lower it again the next day).
+1

This is what I do with the Powerwalls as well.