Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0665.jpeg

It’s actually only 99.5% but you’ve got to love rounding 😄. And it’s only 5 days in to the current billing month so it won’t stay like that.

Yes it's mostly never going to be 7.5p exactly since we know how the system works but I had to put a figure down that we can all associate with. Its not like Im being pedantic about peoples grammar ;) 🤷‍♂️
My reply was with reference to the post from Basicbob that you had responded to. He didn't seem to understand why IOG keeps the 31p peak rate when other tariffs are reducing but overall with IOG the blended rate can be ridiculously low if used effectively.

Reactions: Js1977
My reply was with reference to the post from Basicbob that you had responded to. He didn't seem to understand why IOG keeps the 31p peak rate when other tariffs are reducing but overall with IOG the blended rate can be ridiculously low if used effectively.
My apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick. In all fairness, it would of probably helped if you had referenced his post instead of mine as to further explain what I tried to or at least mention @Basicbob as to draw his attention to your further explanation ;)

Reactions: Drew57
Was wondering if anyone could clarify something for me. I’ve been using IO for nearly a year but only really took interest in this last night.

I arrived home with 3% battery after a long journey yesterday. See IO to do its thing overnight, which it did fine, and charged to 90% for when I needed it this morning.

However, IO reported adding 64.51kWh, my Hypervolt charger reported 55kWh, and the car 50kWh.

Firstly is IO reporting the whole house consumption during the window, or just what was used for the charge?

I understand there are cable losses during charge, but the 15kWh difference between the car an IO seems like a massive (too large) loss, even the 5kWh difference between the charger and the car seems like too much?

Only thing the car does overnight is turn on sentry mode between 1:30 and 6:30. Doesn’t do anything else and I’ve had no previous battery drain issues.

Was wondering if anyone could clarify something for me. I’ve been using IO for nearly a year but only really took interest in this last night.

I arrived home with 3% battery after a long journey yesterday. See IO to do its thing overnight, which it did fine, and charged to 90% for when I needed it this morning.

However, IO reported adding 64.51kWh, my Hypervolt charger reported 55kWh, and the car 50kWh.

Firstly is IO reporting the whole house consumption during the window, or just what was used for the charge?

I understand there are cable losses during charge, but the 15kWh difference between the car an IO seems like a massive (too large) loss, even the 5kWh difference between the charger and the car seems like too much?

Only thing the car does overnight is turn on sentry mode between 1:30 and 6:30. Doesn’t do anything else and I’ve had no previous battery drain issues.
I'm sorry my post won't help answer your questions but, quite honestly, I really just ignore what the IO app reports.
What matters to me is the total home usage and, if you REALLY want to know what's being going into the car, perhaps you would like to consider a service like Teslamate or Tessie or something similar :)

I think you will find IOG reports all usage by car and house. If you look in the app you can tell what usage you had during the night and then look for a night when you didn't charge. Take the 2 away and you will be left with roughly what went into the car.

Your Hypervolt is probably reporting the correct figure.

Note: Your car reports what went into the battery and not what was taken from the supply. There could be a big difference if battery heater is used during the night to help charge you battery, as what happened for the last few nights...

I'm using TeslaFi that reports both what went into the battery and what was used from the supply. In the example below you can see that the battery heater was running

1705751876280.png

Reactions: browellm
Saw this on another EV site.
Would appreciate views/observations?

".....I have a Tesla 3 with a Zappi charger and the "Intelligent Octopus" was a nightmare. The car was constantly being "woken up" whilst plugged in, leading to significant unnecessary battery drain and sometimes the car did not charge as instructed. Octopus overrides the Tesla charge level set by the owner which is disastrous if a full overnight charge is planned for a long trip early the next day. I awoke on two occasions to find the car only charged to 60% when 100% was set. I had no choice but to use an en-route Tesla rapid charger. Tesla refused point blank to answer whether 3rd party access to their API is allowed but the insurance companies were much more clear. Giving Octopus your login and password so the Tesla API can be accessed by Octopus is an "illegal modification" as far as they were concerned and that invalidates your policy. I can sort of see their point. Your 2 ton car travelling at 70 mph can "theoretically" be controlled by a third party who has been given access to the car's software by the owner and not the manufacturer? Whole area is a legal minefield and I expect other manufacturers will pull out just like Ford...."

November; 7.42p average. December 7.81p average.

I Had two days where we ran out of battery in the evening one in December and one in Jan. It was when the temp suddenly dropped and the electric floors had to work much harder in the morning. Also the car defrosting/ pre-heating stole a lot of battery on those days. Made about £100 in the savings sessions in December as well. Plus a bit on export too.
All in all very happy.

IMG_8538.jpeg

IMG_8539.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8538.jpeg
    IMG_8538.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8539.jpeg
    IMG_8539.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 13

".....I have a Tesla 3 with a Zappi charger and the "Intelligent Octopus" was a nightmare. The car was constantly being "woken up" whilst plugged in, leading to significant unnecessary battery drain and sometimes the car did not charge as instructed. Octopus overrides the Tesla charge level set by the owner which is disastrous if a full overnight charge is planned for a long trip early the next day. I awoke on two occasions to find the car only charged to 60% when 100% was set. I had no choice but to use an en-route Tesla rapid charger. Tesla refused point blank to answer whether 3rd party access to their API is allowed but the insurance companies were much more clear. Giving Octopus your login and password so the Tesla API can be accessed by Octopus is an "illegal modification" as far as they were concerned and that invalidates your policy. I can sort of see their point. Your 2 ton car travelling at 70 mph can "theoretically" be controlled by a third party who has been given access to the car's software by the owner and not the manufacturer? Whole area is a legal minefield and I expect other manufacturers will pull out just like Ford...."
I’ve got a Zappi 2 which is integrated with IO. The first night it was used it didn’t add the full amount to the car that I had requested but it turned out to be a schedule set in the Zappi that was overriding IO (no idea how the schedule was set unless the electrician who fitted it set it up). Once that schedule was removed it has worked perfectly every time I’ve used it.

By the time I’ve plugged the charger cable in to the car and got my phone out of my pocket, the IO schedule is already there. And it’s added the exact percentage I’ve asked for every time since the first mistake. As I mentioned on here previously, it’s way better than integrating IO with the car.

That person you have quoted seems to have completely misunderstood IO and how it works. You don’t set any charge schedules in the car. The whole point is that IO is supposed to control the charging.

And the illegal modification thing seems a bit odd. I wonder if they got that in writing from an insurance company or if it was just a customer service rep giving their own opinion?! There are thousands of Tesla owners that use the API via third party apps (Tessie, Octopus, Home Assistant to name just a few). I’m pretty certain none of those can control your car while it’s moving.

Last edited:

First observation is that paragraphs are good.

Second observation is that it's stream of consciousness blather and doesn't provide any useful information as to what the issue might be to troubleshoot.

Signed up to IO last night and all seemed ok, managed to do a test charge after a few attempts but overnight the car didn't charge.

This is my setup:

Model 3 SR+
PodPoint Solo 7kW

This morning I saw the smart charge schedule had a slot between 8am and 9am but again, the car didn't charge.

I've since disconnected car and added it again but now I can't get a successful test charge no matter how many times I try. I've disconnected the car multiple times, reconnected it, etc. It just won't do a test charge.

There is no scheduling setup on the car or pod point.

Any idea how to fix this?

I plugged the car in and manually started to charge it, left it for a while and then asked the IO App to schedule by dragging the app page down to induce a schedule. This seemed to work.
The more experienced on here will come along soon to help you.
It might also help if you close the App down and relaunch? Same with the Tesla App?