Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evie EV charging networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Birkdale QLD shopping centre. Looking almost completed.
not listed on plugshare or Evie yet.

Attachments

• Birkdale QLD Evie fast Charging stalls..jpg
    Birkdale QLD Evie fast Charging stalls..jpg
    873 KB · Views: 126
Evie x2 at Lawson NSW. Don't charge too high if regen is switched on as you descend the Blue Mountains!

Last edited:
From the picture in this article looks like the Evie Mosman #2 site is almost ready.

Also a statement that council is negotiating with a private vendor for a 3rd site.

Only wish some other councils were so progressive

So I think that's Cameron Park, Lawson and Mosman awaiting activation (maybe one of them was that picture of the deep hole that Evie posted on it's socials)

Last edited:
Sydney council warns against draping power cords across streets to charge electric cars

The Inner West Council in Sydney is consulting on its “Electric Vehicle Encouragement Strategy” and one of the things it is considering is “Council should explore opportunities to develop guidelines for the safe charging of EVs for residents who do not have off-street access or a nearby public charging unit“

Which I read as… Council might approve things like cable pedestals or trip protection covers for people who have no option but to charge their EV while it is parked on the street. I reckon that’s pretty progressive!

The pop-up models featured in Melbourne recently are $5k+ and only useful if you can actually park in front of your house. That's a lot of public charging.

Yeah, I reckon any kerbside solution that requires digging is a non-starter, except in some niche situations. It just adds too much cost. And more cost means fewer units that can be installed. With a pop-up, I’d be really concerned with the mechanism failing after ingress of dirt and foreign material over time - serviceability would seem to be challenging.

Also there’s the disruption of digging up footpaths to install pop-up or bollards, cutting concrete, running underground power, putting in plinths or footings etc. It’s 1-2 days of work. And longer term we’ll need thousands of these - it’s just not scalable at reasonable cost!

Too many times people think ideas up that are “S3XY” rather than “simple” and in this case, the simplest solution is EVSE mounted to existing power poles with power run down in a duct from the wires from overhead. No digging, no concrete, more flexible (you could park +/- 6m from the pole and still plug in with BYO cable).

That is what will be trialled in the ARENA/Intellihub kerbside proposal, and what suppliers like Flo, charg.gy and EVSE LLC do.

The pop-up models featured in Melbourne recently are $5k+ and only useful if you can actually park in front of your house. That's a lot of public charging.
It's a permanent improvement to the property, though. At 5% p.a. interest that's only $5/week, so if it can save you $5/week in charging costs it's a rational purchase.

At 300km/week that's about 10c/kWh it needs to save you for it to add up - less as you drive further.

And that's ignoring the utility of not having to visit charging stations. That time is worth something I'd say.