Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excuses for a drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
There’s been a lot of downcast threads lately (and with good reason).

With the advent of a lot of new M3’s on the road and the shadow of lockdown 2 (3,4 or 5 in some places) I thought this thread might form the basis of some light hearted amusement and maybe even a good reference library if the need arises.

as we all know, you can’t choose having a 20 mile “eyesight test” that one’s been used. o_O

my best one to date was an early evening:
“I’m just popping down the road dear”
“It’s dark”
I havent driven it in the dark yet”
:)))

For me, driving in the dark was a nice experience - dark mode on the screen looked good and headlights give good extra-white light.
My concern was that very last bit - parking in reverse in my limited space driveway so I could (a) still get out of the drivers side and (b) have enough room to plug the charge cable in and still walk past it.
Parking forwards at night is ok but reversing at night is my nemesis :(

There’s been a lot of downcast threads lately (and with good reason).

With the advent of a lot of new M3’s on the road and the shadow of lockdown 2 (3,4 or 5 in some places) I thought this thread might form the basis of some light hearted amusement and maybe even a good reference library if the need arises.
:)))
The excuse that I used this morning was to drive away from my garage, and go somewhere without my Wifi, so that I could find out what my ip address was, and hence whether Spanish or Dutch!

Reactions: Adopado and Doudeau
Courtesy of the joys of COVID Working from home my darling wife sees way too much of me and she finds it disconcerting (she is now dreading my retirement). So I don't need excuses to go for a drive - she practically throws me out of the house :p

Agree with above, a night time drive with a random spotify playlist (making sure you pick a route that allows for some fun traffic light getaways) is a very satisfying and relaxing experience.

Tesla your build quality may be variable but I am immensely grateful for you giving me back the joy of driving

We have some ground on the other side of the road where the car is sometimes parked ... but the charger is on the same side as the house obviously ... so I need to drive the car across the road, through our gates and park beside the charger ... and for some reason this distance is frequently about 12 miles ... strange!!

There is a technical term for this - its called "going the pretty way round" :)

Reactions: Adopado
Oh really, we could do with an extra banana? I'll pop out and get it.

I've got to say, I really do do a lot of errands these days, and plentiful school runs, and it is an absolute pleasure;
-The fun driving
-the kid loves being in the car
-knowing I'm not polluting the community
-knowing it's costing a fraction of the fuel
-it's incredibly unstressful and non-tiring
-Looking out to see the reactions I get (today, a waving blue M3, some pointing kids, and one kid just standing there giving me the bird all the way past :D)

Agree with above, a night time drive with a random spotify playlist (making sure you pick a route that allows for some fun traffic light getaways) is a very satisfying and relaxing experience.
Very important to get those traffic lights in! Even more joyous when it's next to a revving corsa. Or, well, anything.

Before Tesla: please stay green please stay green
After Tesla: ah it's on green, ok, just feed in a little regen, not enough to get the brake lights on, that's it, we're slowing down now, come on - you've got this, annnnd it's changed to red. Phew, almost hit a green!

I drove 20 miles round trip “to try out charging” on the car’s 3rd night when I had just charged it to 80% at home, with the excuse that I needed to try 50kw DC charging “in case there was a problem”, having already supercharged a couple of times on collection day.

My wife looked at me like I had stalks growing out the top of my head.

It worked. You have to be sure.

Very important to get those traffic lights in! Even more joyous when it's next to a revving corsa. Or, well, anything.

Before Tesla: please stay green please stay green
After Tesla: ah it's on green, ok, just feed in a little regen, not enough to get the brake lights on, that's it, we're slowing down now, come on - you've got this, annnnd it's changed to red. Phew, almost hit a green!

It seems crazy but I tend to drive via the city and all its traffic lights if I have a choice. Love being at the front or alongside a dinosaur and blowing all the gasping ICE's into the wind as I fly away up to the legal limit when I roll off.

Have you noticed how easy it is to do with regen controlling the inertia compared to an ICE that would fly past the speed limit if accellerating hard up to it.

Big boys (or girls) toy is what it is!

Reactions: Dilly
It's 3 miles to the nearest shop but 12 miles to the nearest supermarket and 15 miles to the nearest Lidl. My OH dropped and broke the marmite yeaterday while I was out getting a few bits. She did text me but I 'missed' the text. I'll pop out to Lidl to get the marmite later because she doesn't know about the spare jar in the larder...

• Funny
Reactions: Dilly and Adopado