Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty Worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

New to the forum here and new Tesla owner. Just bought a CPO 2014 Model S and it is coming up on the end of its 4 year 50K mile warranty. I'm at a cross roads here where I have the option to buy an extended warranty to carry me another 4 years for ~$4700 (around there).

Is it worth it?

Thanks for the advice,

Alex

How will you know that your car will be trouble-free for the next 4 year/50,000 miles?

Cabin heater (for human, not battery pack): $4,500
Cabin Air Conditioner: $4,000
17" Dislplay screen MCU: $4,000
Onboard Charger: $2,800 (but if you know how to do it yourself, it may cost about $20 for the fuse)
Noisy Instrument Cluster Fan: $1,000
Door Handle (each): $895
Charge Port: $600

Hey all,

New to the forum here and new Tesla owner. Just bought a CPO 2014 Model S and it is coming up on the end of its 4 year 50K mile warranty. I'm at a cross roads here where I have the option to buy an extended warranty to carry me another 4 years for ~$4700 (around there).

Is it worth it?

Thanks for the advice,

Alex
I bought 4 year ESA online 2 weeks ago, and on the order page the price was lowered to $4250. ! ... I called Tesla and they said "it was on special" .... it's a gamble ~ but lots of peace of mind.

Reactions: CBPfromTN
Just bought a CPO 2014 Model S and it is coming up on the end of its 4 year 50K mile warranty.

I don't understand...You said you JUST bought a CPO. How could it come to the end of it's 4 year 50K? If you just bought it, you wouldn't be at 4 years. Did you really drive 50K miles? I might have mis-read your post. But you don't need to extend the original 4-year 50K. It's a CPO that you just bought....Just roll the CPO warranty. Am I missing something?

Reactions: JPUConn
I don't understand...You said you JUST bought a CPO. How could it come to the end of it's 4 year 50K? If you just bought it, you wouldn't be at 4 years. Did you really drive 50K miles? I might have mis-read your post. But you don't need to extend the original 4-year 50K. It's a CPO that you just bought....Just roll the CPO warranty. Am I missing something?
My thoughts exactly! Maybe he purchased it from a 3rd party?

@thegooch49 it is from a third party. Car is a 2014, so the 4 year/50K will expire in 2018. Soon I️ will have to make the decision to buy the extended warranty to take me out to 2022 and 100k - correct?

That all sounds correct. The problems is that you said that you just bought a CPO car. CPO is Certified Pre Owned. These are purchased from Tesla directly, not from a 3rd party. So you do not have a CPO car, you just have a pre-owned Model S purchased from a 3rd party. Now that this is all straight, yes, I would recommend buying the extended warranty if it's available to you. This depends on where and who you bought the car from. If your 3rd party was a dealer, this may not be possible at all.

Reactions: Big Earl
It is from a dealer (vroom.com). I️ called and confirmed that the warranty does still exist with the VIN so purchasing an extended warranty should be possible. Tesla care has strict rules on disclosing information about particular VINs to anyone other than the title owner (which I️ can respect).

Thanks for the feedback.

TMC,

So the Tesla service center is telling me because I bought the car from a third party dealer they wouldn’t let me purchase an extended warranty plan when this one expires. Has anyone had this problem before and is it negotiable?

Thanks,
Alex

How will you know that your car will be trouble-free for the next 4 year/50,000 miles?

Cabin heater (for human, not battery pack): $4,500
Cabin Air Conditioner: $4,000
17" Dislplay screen MCU: $4,000
Onboard Charger: $2,800 (but if you know how to do it yourself, it may cost about $20 for the fuse)
Noisy Instrument Cluster Fan: $1,000
Door Handle (each): $895
Charge Port: $600

Those are some seriously crazy prices. 4500 for a heater? I see an extended warranty in my future.

That list of prices is scary, but every car maker touts a similar list when hawking its extended warranty. The thing that we need to know: do people really have to pay such prices and is it likely? Tesla is supposed to be a different kind of car company where service is not the profi center of the business. If this is true then would such “insurance” be needed? I’m coming up on my 4 year anniversary with my Model S so I’m seeking answers, too.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I think a search of the forums will reveal those prices are pretty much what some have paid for the repair out of warrenty.

My cabin heat went out, luckily right before warrenty expired. As it frequently does, it also took out the DC to DC converter. Service writer told me that would have cost about $4,000 if it had happened a few weeks later.

That prompted me to go forward with the Extended Service Contract (warranty). I haven’t bought these for several premium cars in the past. But I think the situation is different with Tesla. Costly repairs that can only be done by Tesla leaves you vulnerable.

And I can state, from personal experience, that the statement in post #13 is wrong.

That list of prices is scary, but every car maker touts a similar list when hawking its extended warranty. The thing that we need to know: do people really have to pay such prices and is it likely? Tesla is supposed to be a different kind of car company where service is not the profi center of the business. If this is true then would such “insurance” be needed? I’m coming up on my 4 year anniversary with my Model S so I’m seeking answers, too.
I am definitely going to purchase the extended warranty, but will wait and hope it doesn't go up tremendously in 4 years when my original warranty expires. I always get extended warranties on our cars and we have always used those warranties. I know when the 8 years is up, I'll be in the market for a new Tesla.