TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Falcon wing stopped working

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Heater71, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Heater71

Heater71 Member

My drivers side falcon wing door stopped working this weekend. Called tech support and they had me try a couple things that didn't resolve the issue. Rangers picking up the X in a couple days. Luckily, the door was already closed so I can still drive around. It seems like it's not getting power because the light on the falcon door switch is not illuminated either. Ironically, I haven't had any problems with doors to date (other than being a little noisy imho.) Late 49xx vin with over 5000 miles. The most annoying part is the sensor in the falcon wing must not be working because the driver door only opens a few inches and i have to fight to open it the rest of the way to get in or out of the vehicle.

Anybody else had this issue?

2. Patrick0101

Patrick0101 Member

I have the same problem. The driver side FWD stopped working. The door is closed all the way and it will not open. The other FWD and front driver's doors open normally. Tech support had me try all the methods of opening (e.g., inside button, outside button, touchscreen, keyfob). None of these worked. They also had me lock the doors and then try it. Still no luck.

I have had the vehicle ~2 months, VIN ~16,000 and it has less than 2K miles.

The local service center is calling me on Monday to schedule an appointment.

@Heater71, what did they do to your X to fix it?

3. Heater71

Heater71 Member

The "ASY, FALCON EM CONTROLLER (1062056-00-B)" needed replaced on my X. I guess it's located in the spine of the door. It took about 2 days to get parts.

• Informative x 3
  4. Patrick0101

Patrick0101 Member

Thanks. I hope mine is a simple fix too. The way my garage is, the driver side FWD is the only one that I can open in there so "just use the other side" is not as simple a workaround as it might seem.

5. passcore

passcore Member

Exact same problem including the front don't opening just a few inches. I am hoping a firmware upgrade is the fix but apparently a hardware component was fixed for another vehicle? I still think it's some sort of a funky state for the firmware that needs a hard reset/reinstall..

6. Patrick0101

Patrick0101 Member

I went to the service center today and they fixed it. They disconnected the 12V battery, waited a few minutes and then plugged it back in. That was it. I'm glad it was a quick fix.

7. OzSimon

OzSimon Member

Wow, I am paranoid about my x when it arrives shortly- is there a thread somewhere with all these workarounds listed?

8. Heater71

Heater71 Member

Interesting...I wonder if my techs tried the battery disconnect before they ordered new part. Hmm. Seems like a lot of these falcon wing door stoppage thread are occurring recently. Makes one wonder if it's really a hardware problem or software.

9. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r S85 since 12/8/12, X90 since 12/20/16

I believe it's this one: Model X Reset Techniques

10. passcore

passcore Member

Ugh... I dont suppose I can do that on my own without voiding the warranty? I just want to reset the damn thing. The car operates absolutely fine otherwise!

11. yaw20

yaw20 Member

Sadly, I got the same problem. At least it's stuck closed. it'd be a total pain if it is stuck open. Tesla should gave us a way to perform the 12V battery reset.

12. Pwdr Extreme

Pwdr Extreme Member

Wouldn't disconnecting the emergency "cut here" plug under the front cowling be a 12v reset? Just thinking out loud, if that truly would be a 12v reset, it would take all of about 45 seconds to do.

13. yaw20

yaw20 Member

But I am afraid once i pulled that tab, I wont' be able to put it back, then i can't drive:(

14. Lancew

Lancew Member

My passenger falcon wing door stopped working yesterday. Unresponsive on screen or with door handle. At the Raleigh Service Center it took them 5 minutes to "pull the fuse" and fix it. My wife took it in. Next time I will ask them which fuse they pulled. After that it was back to normal.

15. PedanticOne

PedanticOne MyTesla Refresh Champion

Someone had reported that holding the FWD inside button down for about 20 seconds worked as well. It's also listed in the Reset Techniques thread. Worth a try if you're in this situation. Sounds like there are several types of problems, though.

• Like x 1
  16. Roentgen

Roentgen Member

This just fixed my problem. Took my car to Tesla for no reason. Wasted time never to be recovered.

17. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

I recently added this to the reset page after my wife's door was completely non-responsive after holding B-pillar, fob & touch screen functions for 20-30 secs with no response.
    Ranger came out and showed me this technique. 2 mins later all is well.
    Falcon Wing Door Complete Reset:
    Remove access panel in funk area (no tool required)
    Disconnect emergency services power loop located under the orange sticker that should be above your funk space.
    Get a stubby 13mm socket and disconnect ground strap (black wire bolted to chassis under the area of the Emergency Services loop.) Wait 20 Seconds. Reconnect it.
    Plug the loop back in.
    Center screen will suggest you need to recalibrate the doors.
    This reset is needed when no button pushes or holds work and the door is completely non-responsive.

18. Epymian

Epymian Member

I was gonna post that same tip from Ohman's reset sticky this morning. My FWD passenger failed 5 days ago and this morning I had the guts to try it out after the usual power reset techniques and button holding did nothing. It is pretty easy.

The frunk panel is the plastic one covering the bottom of the windshield wipers and just pops out when you pull it up and towards you. The power loop disconnects at the black housing by squeezing the sides together (do not tear the red coiled loop off). You can get a small 13mm ratchet down there and the nut comes off easily after two turns, just using your fingers. The black wire sparks a lot so after changing my underwear, I put on some rubber gloves. The car made a humming noise for about 20 sec and then went silent. I waited another 30 sec and reconnected (more sparks and anxiety that I was frying the electronics).

After that the car is off and you turn it on by pushing on the drivers latch and getting in as usual. The recalibration was easy and just had to pull up (open) on the manual B pillar FWD button for about 15 sec as it slightly opened and then closed on the other side. Repeat on other B pillar and bingo, it works now.

Cheers

• Informative x 1
  19. yaw20

yaw20 Member

here is a twist to the holding inside button down- I did that to no avail, so I followed with lifting it up and hold for about 20s. then came the sound I have been waiting for and the button lit up. That's it, problem solved.

• Informative x 1
  20. Roentgen

Roentgen Member

I should add that, yes, i also had to lift my button. Holding it down did nothing.