Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon wing stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My drivers side falcon wing door stopped working this weekend. Called tech support and they had me try a couple things that didn't resolve the issue. Rangers picking up the X in a couple days. Luckily, the door was already closed so I can still drive around. It seems like it's not getting power because the light on the falcon door switch is not illuminated either. Ironically, I haven't had any problems with doors to date (other than being a little noisy imho.) Late 49xx vin with over 5000 miles. The most annoying part is the sensor in the falcon wing must not be working because the driver door only opens a few inches and i have to fight to open it the rest of the way to get in or out of the vehicle.

Anybody else had this issue?

I have the same problem. The driver side FWD stopped working. The door is closed all the way and it will not open. The other FWD and front driver's doors open normally. Tech support had me try all the methods of opening (e.g., inside button, outside button, touchscreen, keyfob). None of these worked. They also had me lock the doors and then try it. Still no luck.

I have had the vehicle ~2 months, VIN ~16,000 and it has less than 2K miles.

The local service center is calling me on Monday to schedule an appointment.

@Heater71, what did they do to your X to fix it?

My drivers side falcon wing door stopped working this weekend. Called tech support and they had me try a couple things that didn't resolve the issue. Rangers picking up the X in a couple days. Luckily, the door was already closed so I can still drive around. It seems like it's not getting power because the light on the falcon door switch is not illuminated either. Ironically, I haven't had any problems with doors to date (other than being a little noisy imho.) Late 49xx vin with over 5000 miles. The most annoying part is the sensor in the falcon wing must not be working because the driver door only opens a few inches and i have to fight to open it the rest of the way to get in or out of the vehicle.

Anybody else had this issue?

Exact same problem including the front don't opening just a few inches. I am hoping a firmware upgrade is the fix but apparently a hardware component was fixed for another vehicle? I still think it's some sort of a funky state for the firmware that needs a hard reset/reinstall..

I went to the service center today and they fixed it. They disconnected the 12V battery, waited a few minutes and then plugged it back in. That was it. I'm glad it was a quick fix.

Interesting...I wonder if my techs tried the battery disconnect before they ordered new part. Hmm. Seems like a lot of these falcon wing door stoppage thread are occurring recently. Makes one wonder if it's really a hardware problem or software.

I recently added this to the reset page after my wife's door was completely non-responsive after holding B-pillar, fob & touch screen functions for 20-30 secs with no response.
Ranger came out and showed me this technique. 2 mins later all is well.
Falcon Wing Door Complete Reset:
Remove access panel in funk area (no tool required)
Disconnect emergency services power loop located under the orange sticker that should be above your funk space.
Get a stubby 13mm socket and disconnect ground strap (black wire bolted to chassis under the area of the Emergency Services loop.) Wait 20 Seconds. Reconnect it.
Plug the loop back in.
Center screen will suggest you need to recalibrate the doors.
This reset is needed when no button pushes or holds work and the door is completely non-responsive.

I was gonna post that same tip from Ohman's reset sticky this morning. My FWD passenger failed 5 days ago and this morning I had the guts to try it out after the usual power reset techniques and button holding did nothing. It is pretty easy.

The frunk panel is the plastic one covering the bottom of the windshield wipers and just pops out when you pull it up and towards you. The power loop disconnects at the black housing by squeezing the sides together (do not tear the red coiled loop off). You can get a small 13mm ratchet down there and the nut comes off easily after two turns, just using your fingers. The black wire sparks a lot so after changing my underwear, I put on some rubber gloves. The car made a humming noise for about 20 sec and then went silent. I waited another 30 sec and reconnected (more sparks and anxiety that I was frying the electronics).

After that the car is off and you turn it on by pushing on the drivers latch and getting in as usual. The recalibration was easy and just had to pull up (open) on the manual B pillar FWD button for about 15 sec as it slightly opened and then closed on the other side. Repeat on other B pillar and bingo, it works now.

Cheers

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca