Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fellow car cleaning obsessives...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As with anything car cleaning, you want to use the least aggressive option that does the job. Start with just blasting them with the pressure washer. That won't remove them up all, unless they're fresh and on a protected car. Try a good snow foam or a citrus (wax safe) pre wash, or both.

My car is coated with Soft99 sealant and wax. The bugs came off easily after using BuiltHammer snow foam, followed by pressure wash and then some Autpfinesse citrus cleaner for the remaining bugs.

Anyone use deionised water for rinsing? Apparently very good for steak and water spot free rinsing, though I'm put off by the likes of filters costing around 100 quid when it looks like you could pick up 5 litres for less than five quid? Does anyone know why I couldn't throw it all over the car for final rinse? I mean all minerals are apparently eliminated, just can't find much info about people using this method lol only about using filters connected to hose pipes?

Anyone use deionised water for rinsing? Apparently very good for steak and water spot free rinsing, though I'm put off by the likes of filters costing around 100 quid when it looks like you could pick up 5 litres for less than five quid? Does anyone know why I couldn't throw it all over the car for final rinse? I mean all minerals are apparently eliminated, just can't find much info about people using this method lol only about using filters connected to hose pipes?
Those filters will deionise thousands of litres of water so work out cheaper.
The cheapest way of getting deionised water though is to use rainwater. I’m in Manchester so plenty of supply of that!

I've got one of the filters, it is great, however I don't know how you are supposed to know when the resin needs replacing until it's too late.

Which meant I had to buy some water spot remover to get rid of some of the marks left by letting regular tap water dry on the car. I've replaced the resin and it's all good again.

I’ve used the Gtechniq stuff before, but not needed it in a while, guessing they are easier to get off with a ceramic coating.

Normally once I’ve snow foamed and washed they’ve all gone :)

I just used the Gtechniq wash and the washmit with a bit of elbow grease - worked a treat.
I purchased all of the above and having used them today I would recommend all of them thoroughly.

Also worth noting, that the scratch shiled is deffo worth investing in for your bucket when washing. Here's a pic of the residue in the bucket after it had dried

20200524_125716.jpg

Anyway, needless to say, she looked great afterwards

20200524_164839.jpg

Reactions: DaveW
I just used the Gtechniq wash and the washmit with a bit of elbow grease - worked a treat.

I purchased all of the above and having used them today I would recommend all of them thoroughly.

Also worth noting, that the scratch shiled is deffo worth investing in for your bucket when washing. Here's a pic of the residue in the bucket after it had dried

View attachment 544488

Anyway, needless to say, she looked great afterwards

View attachment 544489

Top effort there, I’d really recommend Gyeon Wet Coat too, if you want to add a bit more gloss and make the finish more hydrophobic, Cleanyourcar.co.uk is a great place to get it from :)

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
How often do you guys use this stuff (gyeon wet coat) every wash? It will be over a poorboys wax.
Cheers
I've not got that one.

Although, on a related note, I have just coughed up another £45 on the following stuff over at cleanyourcar.co.uk;

Gtechniq G6 - Perfect Glass

Carbon Collective - Plush Microfibre Wheel Brush

Auto Finesse - Revolution Wheel Soap 500ml

And a new microfibre cloth.

Also probably worth pointing out that I snagged a diacount code through Google for 5% off. Enter 'DW05' at the checkout.

How often do you guys use this stuff (gyeon wet coat) every wash? It will be over a poorboys wax.
Cheers

Shouldn’t need to do it every wash, you’d have to see how well the car repels water on the wash and top it up if the water isn’t flying off.

I think it’s supposed to be 4-6 weeks on a ceramic, guessing maybe 2-4 weeks on a wax? Might be longer though :)

In the interests of balance, I've washed mine twice (badly) since I got it in August.

I’ll be writing a letter about getting that knighthood taken away with talk like that! :D

The link to the basic washing guide from the first post is here if you fancy redeeming your self ;)

Cleaning your Tesla - TeslaEV.co.uk

I’ve even updated the banner image on that page of my car looking very clean in a nice leafy location :)

Shouldn’t need to do it every wash, you’d have to see how well the car repels water on the wash and top it up if the water isn’t flying off.

I think it’s supposed to be 4-6 weeks on a ceramic, guessing maybe 2-4 weeks on a wax? Might be longer though :)
Thanks.
Sorry also how much of this do you usually get through in 1 go, how many coats from a 500ml roughly?

Cheers