Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2019.12.1.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember back on 2019.8.5, EM mentioned they were also releasing improvements to the Neural NW. Is this improvement dependent on the client side at all or everyday we have a potential of improvement in the back-end that's immediately felt by drivers?
It does seem like the SW in the car play a big part on how to interpret the data, regardless of how the NN evolves. The subtle corrections they mentioned on this release related to red light identification makes me think this is the case.

I think any updates to the Neural Net itself require a software update. That can't be done by the car.

Having said that, a lot of AP's behavior is dependent on the maps. Map updates can happen without a formal software update, and those can change AP's behavor in certain situations.

After installing 2019.12.1.1, my Iphone 6 plus wouldn't connect to car as key (tried everything and then scheduled a service appointment for next week to have it addressed). Then last night I got 2019.12.1.2 and that fixed it. So I appreciated the release, even if little value for most!

Reactions: ModelX
1.1 was fine for me. Backup cam worked great. Today on 1.2 AP worked great and it seems to hug the left side of the lane a bit less. Subjective for sure but it does appear that the car is more centered in the lane. Backup cam works great on 1.2 as well. Release notes were the same for both updates.

• Informative
Reactions: Relayer
Are you sure? The blog post said yesterday "That’s why we’re introducing these features beginning today via a free over-the-air software update, starting with Model 3 owners and gradually expanding to all cars that were built after October 2016. "

Right now 12.1.1 is still going to Model X and S and 12.1.2 is going out to Model 3's just like the blog post said.

I believe the confusion is anytime Tesla or Elon announce the availability of a new "driving" feature most people assume incorrectly that means it is coming out for general release.
In fact it only means early adopters will be getting it and then when they provide beta testing feedback it is likely to require several iterations of bug fixes and early adopter testing.
Advanced Summon is a case in point.

Reactions: Zoomit
FYI, new browser has a pretty severe bug with asking the user for permission to use location data. I've detailed it here:

Tesla Winds and Elevation Web Browser App

Short version: If a site that needs location data isn't working, close the browser and re-open it to force it to ask you for permission again.
Hm, thanks for that. It worked for Tesla Waze, but I can't get it to ask for permission with ABR. :(

I installed 2019.12.1.1 two days ago and yesterday I was surprised by seeing and hearing a “collision alert” red warning screen and three loud beeps. I had just carefully checked that lane to my left was clear, clicked on my left blinker (not on AP) and started to move over. Suddenly I heard multiple loud beeps and saw red flash on the instrument cluster “collision warning” so I swerved back into my lane. Shaken, I checked rear view mirror and say a black pickup doing at least 85 blast past me. Whew, thank you Tsla for this update, you almost certainly save me from a nasty crash.

1.1 was fine for me. Backup cam worked great. Today on 1.2 AP worked great and it seems to hug the left side of the lane a bit less. Subjective for sure but it does appear that the car is more centered in the lane. Backup cam works great on 1.2 as well. Release notes were the same for both updates.
Thank goodness.. aside from phantom braking, that's the one thing that I disliked about AP in certain situations - it always hugged the left lane too much. When there's a semi right next to me, I take over because it's just too close..

Just got 12.1.2 from 8.5 - will check it out tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: hcdavis3
In an effort to get this thread back on track of talking about 12.1.2 instead of arguing over features that haven't been released yet...

I've already had an issue with this release.

I, too, got 12.1.2 last night. This morning, on my first drive, I got a "Cruise Unavailable" warning and thereafter neither TACC nor AP were available. The only time I've EVER had that before was when the front bumper was covered with snow and ice (a situation that Tesla apparently doesn't care enough to fix, other than some cryptic "put some hydrophobic coating somewhere on the car" tweets from Elon).

The conditions this morning were 60 degrees and a very light rain / mist. I cannot imagine how that would have caused an issue with the TACC.

Anyone else had this today?

I experienced this exact same problem, except under 12.1.1. I upgraded to 12.1.2 and it instantly fixed it.