Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.1 Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on 4.1 (1.19.31) and started having a significant number or problems starting New Years morning. First, when I came out to my car in the morning, the doors were locked but the screens were on. I had the "--" temp issue, the camera didn't come on automatically when in reverse and when it did, it was not centered correctly. The car was in night mode even though it was in bright sunlight. A reboot fixed these issues but many of them happened again yesterday. I don't mind bugs like the sunroof issue (always has to be tapped three times before it works) but this is getting to be a lot.

I guess I had an issue this morning. The car was charging on 240V 5A over night and it was still 'on' when I came out in the morning. Dash screen was on and computers never went to a hard sleep + the charge port was still green blinking.
Not a big deal but the car should have been asleep, I think. (maybe she's keeping her eye open for police now ;?

I had this happen yesterday too (the screen never went to sleep). It happened twice:

Once when I got out of the car in the Wal Mart parking lot (yes, Tesla owners can go to Wally World). The only reason I realized what had happened, was that the music stayed loud when I opened and shut the door and when I walked away - or started to - the display was still bright (at night).

Once when I got out of the car to visit a friend's house.

I did the double scroll wheel press move and it rebooted fine. Has not had the issue since.

Noticed one minor issue this morning.

Had navigation taking me to a destination (Navigon on left console slot) and trip meter on right, Map on top of touchscreen and energy graph on bottom. Voice was directing me and music was playing. Put on the right turn signal, and the green background and arrow seemed to be flickering intermittently, not blinking at a steady pace. Left turn signal seemed fine. After navigation was cancelled, it seemed to correct itself.

I have noticed a new Behaviour (not sure it's a bug or not)...

Charged last night, all ok. Hopped into my Model S, backed out of the garage and out onto the street heading to work. Only then did I notice the image of my car with the little tiny arrow pointing to the Charge Port Cover, indicating that it was still open!!!

Prior to 4.1 update, the same situation would have resulted in the WARNING message and appropriate beeps as soon as I put the car into Reverse to back out of my garage!!!

So, the behaviour has changed relative to leaving the Charge Port cover open; but, I like the old behaviour better! Anyone else seeing this? NOte that it has happened twice now!

Yep, I get in a hurry in the morning and already thinking about work when I unplug the car!

Charged last night, all ok. Hopped into my Model S, backed out of the garage and out onto the street heading to work. Only then did I notice the image of my car with the little tiny arrow pointing to the Charge Port Cover, indicating that it was still open!!!

Prior to 4.1 update, the same situation would have resulted in the WARNING message and appropriate beeps as soon as I put the car into Reverse to back out of my garage!!!

So, the behaviour has changed relative to leaving the Charge Port cover open; but, I like the old behaviour better! Anyone else seeing this? NOte that it has happened twice now!

Yep, I get in a hurry in the morning and already thinking about work when I unplug the car!
I never had an audible warning or anything more than that subtle indicator with v4.0 or v4.1. Add my vote to the chorus of those who want a more noticable warning (on the touch screen) and an audible warning.

Running 1.19.29 since last week. Today the following started:

1. No turn signal sound
  2. Car stays on when I walk away, have to go to settings and power off - lost range this afternoon while I was at work as a result
  3. Backup camera doesn't show up when I put car into reverse
  4. Stuck in day mode unless I put it to night (even though auto)

Will stop in at Toronto Service tomorrow because the car not powering off is a bit concerning.

Running 1.19.29 since last week. Today the following started:

1. No turn signal sound
  2. Car stays on when I walk away, have to go to settings and power off - lost range this afternoon while I was at work as a result
  3. Backup camera doesn't show up when I put car into reverse
  4. Stuck in day mode unless I put it to night (even though auto)

Will stop in at Toronto Service tomorrow because the car not powering off is a bit concerning.

Reboot the touchscreen. Press and hold both roller buttons on the steering wheel for 10 seconds. If that doesn't clear it, then go to service.

I'm reading more and more of the "black screen" or "no turn signal sound" that I didn't see when v4.1 first came out. I'm wondering if we're seeing some kind of issue that is now becoming an issue because of persistent storage of some sort. Yesterday was the first time I had seen the "black screen" issue and in the past 2 days I've now seen it 4 times.

My car is set NOT to put the displays to sleep, yet they will still do it after 30 minutes or so.

EDIT: Now that I think about it... 2013 bug perhaps? Seems to have started Tuesday for a lot of people?

Last edited:
OK, to clarify, you meant the buttons on the steering wheel were non-responsive, not the steering wheel itself. A quick read might lead to the wrong impression.

Yes, sorry. Specifically the next and previous track buttons. But that is likely because the computer running the instrument software was laggy and it's directly connected to the steering wheel buttons.

Sometimes my car will say "charge port door open" and won't let me start the car. The charge port door is closed. I have to open it then re-close it before the message will go away and let me start the car.

Sometimes my car will say "charge port door open" and won't let me start the car. The charge port door is closed. I have to open it then re-close it before the message will go away and let me start the car.
I hope that's just a glitch with your car and not new default behavior. I've driven with the charging port open a few times (mostly when the J1772 adapter gets stuck). It would be very annoying if the car wouldn't start just because the charge port door is open. Fine, beep at me, but if it's pouring rain or something I may prefer to endure the indignity of driving around with it open for a while than climbing back out to close it.

I have also had much more frequent glitches requiring reboots since getting 4.1. Blank screen, radio off and won't come back on, etc. Haven't noticed the turn signal thing, but probably wouldn't.

Rebooting the Touchscreen

Reboot the touchscreen. Press and hold both roller buttons on the steering wheel for 10 seconds. If that doesn't clear it, then go to service.

Cool - I was wondering how that was done. I had been going to the "Power Off" option to try to fix things. This morning everything appears to have magically resolved - at least for now. Toronto Service indicates that they are firmware issues that will have to be fixed by a future update - no word on timing.

This is the same behavior that the 3.x firmware did. I made the same request to Tesla to make it an audible warning when I first got my car.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD