Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.1 Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was informed this morning that "range mode" does more than just offer "eco" HVAC modes -- it makes the car go to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity (not 2 hours).

I did not know this.

Sometimes my car will say "charge port door open" and won't let me start the car. The charge port door is closed. I have to open it then re-close it before the message will go away and let me start the car.

I was experiencing this problem also & mentioned it when in Menlo Park for service for other items. They had a factory person there to demo the fix for the problem. They used my car as the demo. This fix makes sure there is good alignment between the charge port door & car sensor. [Problem was physical sensor alignment, not software] I haven't experienced this problem since the fix was done. Check with Tesla service.

The last 3 out of 4 times I've driven away, I get a alert sound, look down on the bottom of the speedo, and for about .2 seconds there is a message that I believe says Fob in it, then it goes away. The fob is in my pocket.

I am now only able to make one call via the Bluetooth. After that incoming calls don't show up on the display and I can't make outbound calls unless I reboot... And then only one call. This is extremely frustrating.

Mike, are you on 1.19.31? What version was your car delivered in? I haven't had issues making several calls at all, but could very well be due to the phone being used. I also have a theory that perhaps the reason some people are seeing issues and others are not (on the same version) is that the updates didn't completely replace everything...Just like a clean install of an OS is better than an "upgrade", I wonder if some upgrades have issues.

I also wonder if Tesla could do a "clean install" of v4.1, for instance, instead of an update...and if this would improve stability for those experiencing issues.

Main Screen Staying On Issue on 4.1

I know a bunch of other people were having this issue but figured I would start a new thread so that this particular issue is fixed quickly. I am on version 4.1 (1.19.31).

Here are the three parts of this issue.
1. The outside temp reading on the main screen shows "----[SUP]o[/SUP] F" even though the outside temp reading on the driver's dashboard is displaying correctly.
2013-01-06 08.44.17 am.png

2. The main screen stays on after you lock the car even though the driver's dashboard screen turns off.
2013-01-06 08.43.42 am.png

3. The rearview camera doesn't come on automatically when you go in reverse.

To rectify the issue, I have to reset the system by holding down both steering wheel buttons but the issue comes back in a couple days. It seems the three issues are linked somehow so hopefully it will be fixed on version 4.2. If you have the same issues, please reply so that Tesla realizes that it's not just one person.

Thanks,
Steven

Yes, I have experienced all of the issues mentioned for 4.1 and the reset corrects them. I called Tesla and that is why they have not rolled out the 4.1 in full. They are waiting until they resolve the issues before putting a different set of issues out to owners of 4.0. The Tesla person said the development team has been working some very long hours seven days a week. I'm just glad a simple reset resolves the issues.

Especially as the number of delivered cars continues to grow, Tesla really needs to get their software under better control.

1. They should set up a problem reporting/tracking system that customers can use to methodically report problems. The forums really aren't a good solution - and doesn't scale well. The system should allow customers to post detailed information (such as screen shots), and for customers to get feedback from Tesla as the issues are being addressed.
  2. They must have a better QA/testing strategy. While we all want to see missing functionality added and problems fixed, as quickly as possible, the current strategy isn't working - when each new release introduces new problems. Unfortunately, adding a QA/testing period will add more time to the release process - and could cause Tesla complications in their development process by forcing them to be working on multiple releases in parallel - but they can't continue releasing buggy software.
  3. They should allow customers to "opt in" as beta testers for new releases. Some of us would be willing to test out the software before general distribution - and provide feedback. Beta testers would understand they are dealing with pre-release software, and would be more tolerant of problems. While releases are under beta test, it's possible Tesla could push updates to the software frequently, as individual bugs are fixed - something they can't do to large distributions.
  4. There should be a way to "roll back" to previous, stable releases. That would be a failsafe way to ensure customers have a stable release. If there was a problem with a release - as a fallback, the customer could roll back to the previous release that they found acceptable. This would also provide protection for customers participating in a beta test - if a beta release was so buggy that it wasn't usable, then it could be replaced with an earlier release.
  5. All software has bugs - especially new or changing software. Any time any changes are made - new features or even fixes to bugs - the risk is there that something unexpected is introduced. And when they are trying to make changes quickly (right now, they are behind in delivering promised functionality), it's not surprising they are having problems. There best strategy would be to embrace this - and be more open about what's going on. If there is a problem in a release - notify customers - warn them, so they know what to expect, rather than being rudely surprised by something that Tesla already knows about and is already plan to quickly fix.
This is one of the areas where Tesla can establish a new model that the other manufacturers would not be able to replicate - establishing now a solid strategy for developing, testing and releasing their software - with involvement of their customers. Besides the EV technology - the onboard electronics are also a major differentiator - and something Tesla could establish as strength of their product line - if they handle the software process and customer relationships well.

Another reason a tech told me for the slow roll outs was ATT was being overloaded with data. I'm not sure this rings true since the data could be rolled out in the wee hours. I hope we soon have the ability to have the car connect to our home wifi. My cell coverage is poor in my garage and it interrupts slacker when working on the car.

Especially as the number of delivered cars continues to grow, Tesla really needs to get their software under better control.
They must have a better QA/testing strategy. ...

Or perhaps a better DEVELOPMENT strategy. You can't improve quality by "testing it in" at the end.

All software has bugs - especially new or changing software.

Yes, all software has bugs. But this isn't a word processor or an mp3 player. This is a 4700 pound, potentially deadly machine. If software in a Vehicle fails—even something simple that distracts the driver—people can die. If your iPod skips a song, no one will die. For that reason the Software Development and Quality Assurance practices for vehicular software must be drastically different than desktop or consumer electronics software. (the same goes for medical software... you never hear the phrase, "Well, all medical software has bugs." Because then people die... read RISKS Digest to learn about the results of medical and flight control software bugs.)

Tesla is (by observation from the outside) using the wrong processes and methodologies for software development. By comparison, look at the software in any other modern vehicle: Far fewer bugs. (yes, there are some, but not to the level that Tesla is allowing out the door). The other manufacturers have equally complex software systems, they just have different user interfaces. But the other companies ship software that doesn't RELY on the ability to update in the field over the very convenient 3G connection; they know they need to get it right the first time.

In my humble opinion.

(I love my wife's Model S, by the way, and wish I had one of my own. )

They must have a better QA/testing strategy. While we all want to see missing functionality added and problems fixed, as quickly as possible, the current strategy isn't working - when each new release introduces new problems. Unfortunately, adding a QA/testing period will add more time to the release process - and could cause Tesla complications in their development process by forcing them to be working on multiple releases in parallel - but they can't continue releasing buggy software.

Fisker was facing the same issues early on in their delivery cycle. When Tom LaSorda came in from Chrysler in March 2012 he created a test fleet of more than a dozen cars. The release candidate software was installed in the fleet and they were driven for 16-18 hours per day and charged overnight for multiple days. There were a variety of routes the drivers had to follow including stop and go, freeway, desert, mountains, etc. and any problems were logged and addressed before the new release went to customers. This process had a dramatic effect on maturing the software and eliminating regressions. Fisker shared information on this testing regimin with their customers in one of their Town Hall Forum webinars, and it also helped to increase customers' confidence in their QA process.

We're still on pre-4.0 software and it is fine. So it seems that they've gone sideways on getting new features of 4.X out.

Blaming bad software on QA is a pet peeve of mine, but so be it. It appears they're using an unofficial beta program with these at the moment.

But saying that other cars have better software... I'm not convinced. Other cars have less software. I've seen plenty of bugs in my 2010 VW, some that annoy and distract me relating to the audio system. I don't even have the Nav on that car either, so how many things could go wrong?

<3 the Model S too. Would hope to have a system where we could be a little more in control of which software we load, but can see where there would be issues with any system like that.

Wishing the Dev and Test teams the best tho.