Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.1 Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the silent turn signals issue today. It was a progressive failure... I first noticed that the turn signals would "skip" a click every 3-4 clicks... it's very obvious when that happens, the rhythm is interrupted and then it picks up again, though the dash shows the turn signal still blinking OK. It got worse and then in an hour or so, the turn signals were completely silent. Rebooting the screens fixed it temporarily.

I got the gamut of issues today over the course of the day.
#1 - turn signals failed to sound
#2 - outside temp failed (stuck at ---)
#3 - range graph failed to update
#4 - had set car to highest height to park and could not lower manually
#5 - reverse camera failed to adjust automatically to lights and focus properly (was really out of focus)

Reboot the screen and all is okay again. These did not all happen at the same time -- it took several hours and several short trips.

Also noticed that the HVAC settings weren't showing properly, and in the morning when I got to the car, I turned on the heat to HI for the kids while I unplugged and loaded bags into trunk, but the fan never started blowing and I could smell the heater.

Last edited:
Without calling myself an expert, what most of you are describing sounds like a memory leak issue, in which some piece of Tesla software goes out of control, and starts causing crashes of other applications. Because it's not an "intentional error", where your software does what you told it to do, just not what you intended, what will happen is instead pretty random side-effects as different applications are impacted. Some will get turn signal failures, some won't, other will have HVAC problems, others won't. And they will occur at random intervals and go away with a reboot, because then the software starts up fresh again.

If so, the good news is that the cause of the problem is probably very small - much smaller than the variety of issues you're seeing. And it's a trivial fix once you find the cause. Only downside is, these things can take some time to track down because the error reports you get in seem very random at first.

^^^ That's very helpful insight for us non-techies David. Thanks. Could it be that there is some action or combination of actions that triggers a memory leak? The majority of us aren't showing any of these problems whatsoever but it's my impression that they cascade and when someone has one problem they invariably have a list of them.

^^^ Could it be that there is some action or combination of actions that triggers a memory leak?

Yes, but that combination could be very hard to determine. And it could be down to extreme details. And as you say, once it's started, the errors tend to cascade until you reboot.

Just to give you an example I worked a while with mobile phone testing. I remember this one bug where if I sent a specific text message to the phone, the screen would go dark and the camera flash would light up :smile: Other text messages would work just fine. Basically as the phone was interpreting the text message, it would come across a specific sequence of content in the message that would trigger the bad behavior.

There are of course all kinds of smart ways to address this, and protect core software from failures, and I'm sure Tesla knows much more about this than I do. Just wanted to say not to worry too much - everything could have a very simple explanation.

The best thing you can do is probably report to Tesla, including what you did just before the errors started appearing, and if possible provide access to any log files the car may have. Because the problems you see and the root cause of those problems may be two very different things.

Yes, memory leaks are *fun* to track down. And these do seem like memory leak related issues. As stated, the good news is, these are software and can be fixed. Just need time to track down the leak.

- - - Updated - - -

Heard something most concerning today. A friend left his S in his garage in Northern California plugged in over the Xmas week. Came home to a dead car, presumably a dead 12v. Tesla came for the car and told him today that they "think" the most recent update didn't fully install. How would one know that an update wasn't fully installed, other than a dead battery? Hopefully he'll get some clarification.
Hi bill, any update on this?

Yes, memory leaks are *fun* to track down. And these do seem like memory leak related issues. As stated, the good news is, these are software and can be fixed. Just need time to track down the leak.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi bill, any update on this?
Tesla got back to him that they "thought" it was caused due to the last update not being fully installed. My concern is, how would you know that was the case prior to draining the 12v battery. Seems they've got a lot on their plate software-wise right now.

Tesla got back to him that they "thought" it was caused due to the last update not being fully installed. My concern is, how would you know that was the case prior to draining the 12v battery.

There's a large-ish center screen warning when the update isn't fully installed/downloaded. It has to be dismissed by clicking on the X so it's not one of those warnings which flash up and disappear. Of course, you have to be in the car to actually see it.

The phone app should display duplicates of all warnings so you'd be alerted even if you're absent from the car. (N.B. This is my WAG)

Without calling myself an expert, what most of you are describing sounds like a memory leak issue, in which some piece of Tesla software goes out of control, and starts causing crashes of other applications. Because it's not an "intentional error", where your software does what you told it to do, just not what you intended, what will happen is instead pretty random side-effects as different applications are impacted. Some will get turn signal failures, some won't, other will have HVAC problems, others won't. And they will occur at random intervals and go away with a reboot, because then the software starts up fresh again.

If so, the good news is that the cause of the problem is probably very small - much smaller than the variety of issues you're seeing. And it's a trivial fix once you find the cause. Only downside is, these things can take some time to track down because the error reports you get in seem very random at first.

Although it could be a memory leak, I've noticed the time I've had to reboot my screen are usually right after I turn on the car. The screen gets somewhat stuck in the startup sequence and I notice that it happens more often in areas of low or bad 3G signal. I'm actually thinking that this problem is related to a synchronous network call that is trying to use a bad 3G signal that is blocking the main thread. If the call completes correctly, then everything is OK. If not all the other processes that need the main thread (temperature sensor, turn signals, etc.) are blocked. Does anyone else see a correlation between having to reboot the screen and low/absent 3G signal?

I got the gamut of issues today over the course of the day.
#1 - turn signals failed to sound
#2 - outside temp failed (stuck at ---)
#3 - range graph failed to update
#4 - had set car to highest height to park and could not lower manually
#5 - reverse camera failed to adjust automatically to lights and focus properly (was really out of focus)

Reboot the screen and all is okay again. These did not all happen at the same time -- it took several hours and several short trips.

Also noticed that the HVAC settings weren't showing properly, and in the morning when I got to the car, I turned on the heat to HI for the kids while I unplugged and loaded bags into trunk, but the fan never started blowing and I could smell the heater.

I've had all of these issues every day. And on reboot the center screen has to be rebooted at lest 5 times because it loads up in a screen of stripes. Yesterday it took 15 times to get it to work normal. Wednesday I took it to the costa Mesa service center for this and my paint issues. They determined the "UMC"?? computer needed to be replaced. Supposed to be in next week. Wife's a little upset because of all of the computer problems almost every time we drive it. Hopefully the new computer fixes the issues.

^^^ That's very helpful insight for us non-techies David. Thanks. Could it be that there is some action or combination of actions that triggers a memory leak? The majority of us aren't showing any of these problems whatsoever but it's my impression that they cascade and when someone has one problem they invariably have a list of them.
We didn't have any of these issues until the Tesla "elves" worked on our car overnight to check on the 12V message. Since then we've been getting all of these. Can someone send me the "whole car reboot" sequence as maybe that will clear some of this up? Rebooting the center screen fixed it for that drive but then they're all back the next time you drive the car.

I talked to service today as I was picking up my Roadster (getting new carpet due to spilled latte - ugly sour milk smell) and the service folks were aware of all of the bugs and said that 4.1.5 or 4.2 would be out "soon" but no more info than that.

I don't think that was ever published (I may be wrong but it's not showing up in a site search). It has been reported where Tesla talked an owner through removing a fuse to enable a full car reboot. Did the service folks not want to give you that tidbit?

I've asked as well and have been told there is no such thing as a "whole car reboot". I suppose the 12v system dying qualifies as one, though. :) That one particular fuse that was mentioned doesn't really do much more than the difference between rebooting your PC, and power-cycling your PC. It forces hardware attached to the center display computer that was "wedged" to be reset, but that's about it. It does not reset some of the other systems (although there's a hint that they're attached to other fuses :) ).

v4 Bugs, v4.1 more sever bugs ... seriously?

First let me start by saying I love my Model-S since I got it on Xmas eve, but I'm very disappointed in Tesla's effort here.

I turn on my car this morning and things just started gong screwy:
  1. Rear Camera didn't turn on when I shifted to reverse
  2. The display didn't even wake until I touched it (I have mine set to power on all the time)
  3. The display lighting was in night mode and didn't seem to recognize it was day time
  4. Once I start driving the Navigation was about as fast as an update using a 24.4K modem
  5. Then I noticed the turn signal "clicking" sound stopped

I realize none of these are major issues, but then I couldn't change the suspension settings either and it just seemed like I was at the mercy of whatever was going on in the firmware and who knew what else was off or not working.

While driving I got the notice that I should take it into maintenance so I did and the service folks were very helpful, but basically said this sounded like a known firmware bug in v4.0 ... that just appears. I'm a Sales guy for an enterprise software/hardware manufacturer so I've been on the receiving end of these conversations plenty so I was very understanding. He also mentioned that there was an update v4.1 that was deployed in limited fashion but there were some other bugs ... namely that it would put the car in sleep mode and not wake up. "Are you kidding me? How does this make it past QA? How are they putting firmware in cars that people are driving that could have such a major bug?"

What I'm not understanding of is that Tesla doesn't PROACTIVELY warn it's owners of KNOWN BUGS. I didn't pay $100K to be a beta tester and what really has me concerned is that I sure don't want to risk the safety of my kids in a car that apparently could shutdown on me at random times or have firmware issues that could do god knows what while I'm driving.

Come on Tesla. Get it together. This isn't some website where if you have a bug people can't shop ... this is a car with REAL people in it and if the firmware has bugs ... it can pose a major risk to people's safety. Please get this right ... for all of our sakes ... I love this car and I want to be supportive, but man up here take care of your customers.

There's a large-ish center screen warning when the update isn't fully installed/downloaded. It has to be dismissed by clicking on the X so it's not one of those warnings which flash up and disappear. Of course, you have to be in the car to actually see it.
Is there an owner-friendly mechanism to repeat / finish the update?

1. Rear Camera didn't turn on when I shifted to reverse
  2. The display didn't even wake until I touched it (I have mine set to power on all the time)
  3. The display lighting was in night mode and didn't seem to recognize it was day time
  4. Once I start driving the Navigation was about as fast as an update using a 24.4K modem
  5. Then I noticed the turn signal "clicking" sound stopped
  1. Firmware 4.1 Issues - Page 3
  2. Double-check that the setting hasn't reverted. People have reported this problem with other settings.
  3. My understanding is that it's not time based, but light based. Was it dark that day (or in your garage)?
  4. Not sure on this one.
  5. Firmware 4.1 Issues - Page 9

I have two thoughts to share:
Firstly, you're not alone. These appear to be general software quirks, and hopefully Tesla will make good on fixing the issue. While it can be frustrating to "downgrade" quality with an update (or feel like it), you should take some consolation that these are not hardware issues that need physical servicing (like some of the 12V issues others have faced).

Second, please contact [email protected] to let them know of your issues. It can only help (you, other owners, and Tesla) to report your issues. Thanks on behalf of other owners for your time in reporting your issues so that Tesla knows about them and to the degree they are impacting multiple vehicles.

ETA til mods merge this into one of the other two threads: 7 minutes.

First let me start by saying I love my Model-S since I got it on Xmas eve, but I'm very disappointed in Tesla's effort here.
What I'm not understanding of is that Tesla doesn't PROACTIVELY warn it's owners of KNOWN BUGS. I didn't pay $100K to be a beta tester and what really has me concerned is that I sure don't want to risk the safety of my kids in a car that apparently could shutdown on me at random times or have firmware issues that could do god knows what while I'm driving.
I disagree. We are early adopters and while I'm going to plunk down as much as you, I consider myself a proud beta tester. It will take several thousand of these marvellous cars to be on the road to get all the kinks out.

I've yet to take delivery but when I do (Feb?), I fully expect to see some quirks like everyone else.

Part of the fun ... and yes, like all software, frustration. But I am happy to test it!

In addition to an error log, they should have -- at least -- a(n owner's only?) web page with the known issue for the firmware installed on the vehicle. Those pages should be updated more frequently than the TMC forum threads on the same topic.

I think I'm mostly agreeing with srafail here.

...what really has me concerned is that I sure don't want to risk the safety of my kids in a car that apparently could shutdown on me at random times or have firmware issues that could do god knows what while I'm driving.

Oh come on, are you seriously playing "safety of my kids" card?!? That is completely ridiculous because if you HONESTLY thought you were jeopardizing the safety of your children you would/should sell your car IMMEDIATELY. If this is HONESTLY a concern (and not just hyperbole) then you would have no choice because there are absolutely no assurances that there will no future bugs as they continue to increase the complexity of they on-board systems and add new functionality.

It's ok to be frustrated with the problems you've encountered but I think this kind of post doesn't serve anyone and needs to be dialed back a bit.