Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else disappointed that 4.2 "fixes" the issue with Chargepoints? It used to be that when charging was complete the Chargepoint station thought that the cable was disconnected. As of 4.2 it knows that it finished charging and is still connected (says that it's still drawing current, but very little). With the old behavior I was able to take advantage and "top off" the car remotely, but now I cannot, as the Chargepoint requires putting the connector back in the holster before restarting.

I think the old behavior would have also saved money at Blink chargers, but I've never seen them in person.

i got 1.19.42 a couple of days ago. I have not had too many issues, other than the sun roof, and the fact that the driver door somehow opened up by itself a couple of times. 4.2 did not fix the door issue.

While others are saying that the regen is stronger, I find it weaker in 4.2 than in 4.1. Today, I was relying on regen to slow me down as I exit the highway, for a short instant it released completely, then it picked up. Never saw that before.

Last edited:
i got 1.19.42 a couple of days ago. I have not had too many issues, other than the sun roof, and the fact that the driver door somehow opened up by itself a couple of times. 4.2 did not fix the door issue.

For others that have had this issue, the fix was a hardware issue. You'll want to contact Tesla about it and see about having the handle/door replaced.

In version 4.1, from the date of delivery, I had the tire pressure system monitor warning. The service center told me it was a software bug. Now I am on 4.2 and still have the same warning. I know others have had the tire pressure system warning on this board but I can't seem to find anyone that reports a fix. In terms of other differences between 4.1 and 4.2, I agree that regen seems to be more aggressive at lower speeds. And indeed the pano roof now works properly. That is about all. Just wish I could get rid of that pesky tire pressure system warning!

In version 4.1, from the date of delivery, I had the tire pressure system monitor warning. The service center told me it was a software bug. Now I am on 4.2 and still have the same warning. I know others have had the tire pressure system warning on this board but I can't seem to find anyone that reports a fix. In terms of other differences between 4.1 and 4.2, I agree that regen seems to be more aggressive at lower speeds. And indeed the pano roof now works properly. That is about all. Just wish I could get rid of that pesky tire pressure system warning!

Hate to ask this, but you have measured the tire pressure, right?

I did something today that locked up the 17" display and required a full reboot. This is on the latest and greatest v4.2 (1.19.42).

When I was leaving the house today I had gone back and forth between the camera display and the homelink menu. I must have done something wierd. I went to full screen nav and began guided navigation to my destination.

20 minutes later, my wife wanted the rear view camera on. I tapped the camera icon, and the video appeared in the top half of the display, but NOT framed by the UI bezel. Map was in the bottom half of the screen.

I then tapped the button to swap top and bottom, but the video remained on the top half, above the UI bezel.

I tried to fiddle a little more to fix it, then noticed that my map was frozen. Wouldn't pan, zoom, or update. Rebooting solved the issue (I rebooted just the main display, while driving).

I want to reiterate that other than this 1.19.42 has been pretty stable. Only one minor issue which has persisted since 4.1 for me. This one, while a bigger issue, seemed to require me to do something unusual to trigger it.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, i don't notice any regen differences in 1.19.42. When I get down to 6MPH, the regen tapers off, just as it always has.

Anyone else disappointed that 4.2 "fixes" the issue with Chargepoints? It used to be that when charging was complete the Chargepoint station thought that the cable was disconnected. As of 4.2 it knows that it finished charging and is still connected (says that it's still drawing current, but very little). With the old behavior I was able to take advantage and "top off" the car remotely, but now I cannot, as the Chargepoint requires putting the connector back in the holster before restarting.

I think the old behavior would have also saved money at Blink chargers, but I've never seen them in person.

How then, with Chargepoint stations, would you use pre-condtitioning, or long-term parking, if they cannot restart charging once it has stopped? Is this part of their design?

While others are saying that the regen is stronger, I find it weaker in 4.2 than in 4.1.

Stronger, weaker...or perhaps a little of both? I just got 4.2 today (although I upgraded from an older version, 1.15.14) and went for a ride in the wet. Of course it's hard to tell without driving the car with both versions side-by-side in the same conditions, but my impression was that it's weaker at first - or at least, a little slower to get strong - but then finishes slightly higher than it used to. I suspect they are trying to be less surprising to new EV drivers, and make it smoother (which helps in slippery conditions), but still get you lots of regen.

To put that another way, I find the transition from accelerating to regen when I take my foot off the pedal to be a tad slower than it used to be, but if you keep your foot off it ends up giving you as much or more regen as you used to get. My impression, anyway. The transition from fast to slow is definitely slower than the transition from slow to fast, which did indeed improve with the new throttle mapping, and is now closer to the Roadster. Daddy likes.

Today, I was relying on regen to slow me down as I exit the highway, for a short instant it released completely, then it picked up.

This could possibly be part of the slower transition; but it sounds more like TC briefly kicking in when you hit a slippery spot. ?

Which reminds me of another difference I noticed: less sliding around when you floor it or turn hard in the wet. I can still get a little tire spin, but not as much and it seems to get back to full acceleration faster. This is awesome as this is something the Roadster has never been great at - the Roadster IS great at keeping you from spinning the tires; but once it backs the power off to save your bacon, it's reluctant to put the power back on. The Model S recovered faster than the Roadster when I first got it; and after this update, it seems to recover even faster.

Last edited:
Hate to ask this, but you have measured the tire pressure, right?

Good question - I check them almost every other day. Although the error is that the system itself is not working not that the tires have low pressure. Frustrating, but only real problem that I have had...The most annoying part is driving others around because otherwise the car is flawless, and yet everyone that sets foot in the car focuses almost instantly on that warning.

Just got the update today, from 4.0. I may have missed this, but what happened to the rated vs projected bar that goes next to the speedo? It doesn't show up as an option, and I miss it! I think I looked at it more than anything else, and I relied on it to drive economically. Am I missing anything? Is projected a thing of the past? I hope not!

Just got the update today, from 4.0. I may have missed this, but what happened to the rated vs projected bar that goes next to the speedo? It doesn't show up as an option, and I miss it! I think I looked at it more than anything else, and I relied on it to drive economically. Am I missing anything? Is projected a thing of the past? I hope not!

I believe that went away with 4.0 actually
Model S software/firmware changelog - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

You can still view it in the energy app though.

I believe that went away with 4.0 actually
Model S software/firmware changelog - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

You can still view it in the energy app though.

Ah, upon looking at the notes, I think I had the one before 4.0 since my car never had sleep mode. So is there no way to see projected miles on the small screen with 4.2?

Also, I like to keep my screens set to daytime at all times. I noticed that the system no longer remembers my settings anymore, and defaults back to auto every time I get in the car.

Driver's side rear door handle problem since 4.2

The driver's side rear door handle refused to retract today (while on 1.19.31--before the update). Locked, all handles except that one retracted. Unlocked, and the rest came out. Rebooted, then tried again and it still didn't retract. I gently pushed it in. Didn't respond to touches. Tried opening the door, didn't help. Inexplicably, 20 minutes later it worked fine again.

a) Since 4.2, I have the same problem with te driver's side rear door handle; it simply does not work, the only way I can open this door is from the inside. It is also the only handle that the LED does not light when extended. The problem did not go away yet.

b) The navigation often locks on "Navigation initialisation"

c) I certainly have the feeling that the «regen» is more intense and I like this. I have the feeling that I can almost drive with only one pedal.

d) Roof work better but still stick one time out of three.

How then, with Chargepoint stations, would you use pre-condtitioning, or long-term parking, if they cannot restart charging once it has stopped? Is this part of their design?

I assume it's by design, so that you can't "hog" the charger. There might be a workaround: stop charging from the car before it would stop itself. I assume that it would come up with the same "plug removed" condition at that point, but I haven't tried it yet.