Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.3 - basic charging scheduling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that message has come up during every update for me. i think it is simply that the fw install requires a routine where the battery and other systems are taken offline, which triggers the alert. i think it can be very safely ignored until the car restarts after an install.
This kind of reminds me of the engine light on every vehicle I've owned. At startup, that light shows briefly as part of a systems check -- meaning the owner should be glancing at it to make sure that light actually works.

My car updated to firmware 4.3 (1.25.40) today. My car will no longer lock. All my door handles stay extended forever (with the little LED lights on). They will retract when I'm driving, but then extend back out when I get out of the car and will not suck back in until next time I drive the car. I called Tesla, they re-sent the firmware, I let it install again, nothing changed. I already tried rebooting both screens, and I already tried removing/replacing both red fuses for the door handles. No luck. Any advice?

Last edited:
My car updated to firmware 4.3 (1.25.40) today. My car will no longer lock. All my door handles stay extended forever (with the little LED lights on). They will retract when I'm driving, but then extend back out when I get out of the car and will not suck back in until next time I drive the car. I called Tesla, they re-sent the firmware, I let it install again, nothing changed. I already tried rebooting both screens, and I already tried removing/replacing both red fuses for the door handles. No luck. Any advice (other than my local Tesla service center)?

I am sure you already checked, but anything odd with the control settings for 'walk away lock', 'auto extend' or anything in that realm?

My car updated to firmware 4.3 (1.25.40) today. My car will no longer lock. All my door handles stay extended forever (with the little LED lights on). They will retract when I'm driving, but then extend back out when I get out of the car and will not suck back in until next time I drive the car. I called Tesla, they re-sent the firmware, I let it install again, nothing changed. I already tried rebooting both screens, and I already tried removing/replacing both red fuses for the door handles. No luck. Any advice (other than my local Tesla service center)?

This is fixed by the Ranger (or Service Center) flashing the security module. It's exactly the same problem that I, and a few others, have had. If you tried the fuse, waited for few minutes, and replaced it then it needs Tesla to fix that module. It's a known version mis-match.

Just did the 4.3 (.40) upgrade.

One bug report: I had all the windows down in the garage at the time and after the update, the Tesla turned on the radio AT FULL VOLUME. I was upstairs wondering why someone downstairs turned up the radio so loud. I was then told my car had a mind of its own putting the windows down (that was me earlier) and playing the radio (that was the car!). :)

As with previous roll-outs it sounds like there are tweaks along the way and we should probably start noting the detailed info numbers.

I have v4.3(1.25.35) stable after initial security module issue.
They appear to be pushing out a new version of 4.3 (1.25.40). Mine DL'd overnight, and I just installed it now. No issues here with locking, music, windows, or door handles.

Hi Guys,

Totally lame (and embarrassing question), but here goes: what is scheduled charging practically used for? When I come home, I plug in, and forget about it. Why would I want to tell my car to begin charging any other time than 'now, and as fast as possible'?

Mark

Hi Guys,

Totally lame (and embarrassing question), but here goes: what is scheduled charging practically used for? When I come home, I plug in, and forget about it. Why would I want to tell my car to begin charging any other time than 'now, and as fast as possible'?

Mark

Some electric utilities offer time of use plans that offer discounts for consumption during non-peak hours. Scheduled charging allows you to take advantage of that.

Hi Guys,

There are three main reasons:

1. You live in an area where rates are much lower during a certain time of day.

2. You live where it's cold and you want the car to be warm when you start it and not have to use a bunch of energy at first to warm the battery or cabin.

3. You want a range charge to finish just before you take off to avoid battery degradation.

Brilliant. Thank you :)

App wishlist: prepare car for long journey in cold = top off batteries and heat the pack, as well as the interior, while plugged in!

There are two main reasons:

1. You live in an area where rates are much lower during a certain time of day.

2. You live where it's cold and you want the car to be warm when you start it and not have to use a bunch of energy at first to warm the battery or cabin.

4. You want to help your electric utility by drawing power when they have lots of excess capacity. (That's largely why I have done it with all of my EVs; here the price is the same all around the clock). Leveling demand also makes it easier for them to integrate intermittent renewables.

4. You want to help your electric utility by drawing power when they have lots of excess capacity. (That's largely why I have done it with all of my EVs; here the price is the same all around the clock). Leveling demand also makes it easier for them to integrate intermittent renewables.

Sure, but where can you go to get that kind of feedback concerning load balancing or other grid condition?

Sure, but where can you go to get that kind of feedback concerning load balancing or other grid condition?

Sometimes you can find specific information on the utility company's web site. But in general the peak hours are during the day and evening and the low usage hours are from midnight to five or six.

5. Related - some utilities use 100% green sources during off-peak and you don't want to use carbon based energy for your car.

For California folks, here is a good website with current demand and forecast peaks:
http://www.caiso.com/Pages/default.aspx (the CA ISO is in Folsom and does much of the regulation based on our generation statewide). Underneath the 25GW number, click on 'Supply & Demand' for a good 24 hours usage curve.

As ChadS mentions, during afterhour surplus is when we want to be drawing our charge... now we can do that automagically.

App wishlist: prepare car for long journey in cold = top off batteries and heat the pack, as well as the interior, while plugged in!

I think this is as easy as charging to standard overnight, then 30-45 minutes before you plan to leave, turn on range charge & climate control from the app. As long as you leave within a few minutes of getting all the way to full range charge, the effect on the battery should be minimal.