Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.3 - basic charging scheduling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Argh, got the update notice on the 2nd day of our weeklong roadtrip, 200 miles from home. I so want to update, but will probably hold off...
The only noticeable item is charging schedule, so there's no reason to update on the road. Got mine today. It'll be convenient to be able to plug in when I get home and forget about rather than run downstairs just before bed to plug it in.

Sure, but where can you go to get that kind of feedback concerning load balancing or other grid condition?
@Seegem, living in NYC, you can get this info from the New York Independent System Operator. The top two charts on that page are what you should look at (Zonal Load and Zonal LBMP). LBMP = price. You're in Zone J ("NYC-J"). Notice as a general matter that load and prices are lowest from 11pm - 5am.

You'll always do you utility / grid operator a favor by having your charge completed during the morning ramp; finishing about 6am is perfect. The grid operators have to "push the gas pedal" of a lot of units to match the upswing in load as people get up, businesses open, etc. Often, power plants are sitting around (inefficiently) at minimum loading levels just before dawn so that there is enough "ramp up" capability on the grid. That's why system prices are usually lowest just around 4am. If you are charging during this lull, then stop charging as others are flicking on their coffee machines, you're helping reduce the steepness of the ramp.

Someday you might even get paid for providing this service!

Cross posting, but since the v4.3 update the Model S immediately uses shore power, when plugged in, to preheat/cool.

Shore Power used to Preheat Model S - YouTube

Evan, Via Tapatalk

Nice post. What would "convince" me is if we had a measurement of how much power is actually being drawn from the grid. I say this because, my MS when fully charged, on 120 v, shows 1 amp of draw when I warm the cabin using my iPhone app with the plug light flashing green. As you know, 120 V can do 12 AMPS when charging. The kWh requirement in general is around 6 kWh to heat the car. So, in my situation, the amperage should be 12 amps and not 1 amp.

The only caveat is that I am running 4.2 and not 4.3. I hope 4.3 uses shore power to preheat the cabin. In my case, that would be 12 amps at the plug, not 1 amp.

- - - Updated - - -

If you get on a TOU rate, at the very least you get a discount on electricity for doing so! In California the spread rate difference is about 2x between off-peak and peak pricing depending on your utility.

In Southeast Wisconsin, the spread is 5x between peak and off peak.

Nice post. What would "convince" me is if we had a measurement of how much power is actually being drawn from the grid. I say this because, my MS when fully charged, on 120 v, shows 1 amp of draw when I warm the cabin using my iPhone app with the plug light flashing green. As you know, 120 V can do 12 AMPS when charging. The kWh requirement in general is around 6 kWh to heat the car. So, in my situation, the amperage should be 12 amps and not 1 amp.

The only caveat is that I am running 4.2 and not 4.3. I hope 4.3 uses shore power to preheat the cabin. In my case, that would be 12 amps at the plug, not 1 amp.

So, interesting question. I just retested, and with rated range of 238 miles when I turned on preheating the car showed only 1 amp draw--presumably just enough to run the heater.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364244952.755363.jpg

Evan, Via Tapatalk

The charge station at our office has been instrumented and it logs all activity. On several occasions we have recorded my Model S using approximately 4.5A (about 1kW) of "shore power" during cabin pre-heat via the App.

I wonder if 1 kWh is enough? I am surmise that it would have to draw more than 1 kWh to support cabin preheat. What say all of you?

- - - Updated - - -

So, interesting question. I just retested, and with rated range of 238 miles when I turned on preheating the car showed only 1 amp draw--presumably just enough to run the heater.

Evan, my apologies. I see that it reports 6 kWh. My bad! Now, how does 1 amp x 248 v = 6 kWh. Should 1 amp x 248 v be more like 2+ kWh? I know I am missing something.

I wonder if 1 kWh is enough? I am surmise that it would have to draw more than 1 kWh to support cabin preheat. What say all of you?

The space heater in my office has three settings at 600, 900 or 1500 watts. If you put that heater in space the size of the car at 1500 watts it would get it toasty pretty quickly. 1000 watts doesn't seem unreasonable (btw, you mean 1kW, not 1kWh).

The space heater in my office has three settings at 600, 900 or 1500 watts. If you put that heater in space the size of the car at 1500 watts it would get it toasty pretty quickly. 1000 watts doesn't seem unreasonable (btw, you mean 1kW, not 1kWh).
And doesn't the Model S use a heat-pump for heat when it can like the 2013 Nissan LEAF SV/SL? That could be up to 3x more efficient than conventional resistive heat.

1A @ 248v = 248 W. Remember, the Model S has a heat pump, and is likely not using resistive heating unless it's really cold out. Heat pumps are more efficient. I could see somewhere on the order of 250-500W to heat the car.

Todd, All -

I have an Efergy energy monitor on my Nema 14-50 circuit to charge the car. When I preheat in the morning, I see it go from 0 to about 660 watts (.660 kW).

Aaron