Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question about this, as I have 4.5 (the .43 flavor), and I notice that the shore power does indeed come online when the HVAC system is active, but the indicators are the charge-port and HPWC green-LED activity. Are you saying in .44 the dash actually reports the power consumption for this as well?

Also, when plugged in an not charging, my HPWC and charge-port seem idle... yet you say there's a 1A draw... do you get any charger indicators at the same time?

When I'm sitting in the driver's seat, but car still in park (ie. not "on"), on the driver's console at the very top (not the 17" screen), I get a nice little energy use indicator saying something like 4A at 240V when connected to shore power. And yes, there is also a draw of 1A with no AC, again connected to shore power and it shows up as such in the driver's console. 1A at 240V is about 240 watts, which is what I'd think the car would use to power the console, car computer, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course, now that I go back to my car, the driver console DOESN'T show the current shore draw, it instead shows that charging in scheduled at 12:05am. IN between I had taken the car out for a drive. I am guessing that the shore power draw on the driver console will only appear AFTER the car has been charged, and continues to be plugged into the wall. At any rate, you can still see the shore power draw on the 17" charging screen. Note that the car takes a little while before it starts to draw shore power if you've just plugged it in, so be a little patient.

When I'm sitting in the driver's seat, but car still in park (ie. not "on"), on the driver's console at the very top (not the 17" screen), I get a nice little energy use indicator saying something like 4A at 240V when connected to shore power. And yes, there is also a draw of 1A with no AC, again connected to shore power and it shows up as such in the driver's console. 1A at 240V is about 240 watts, which is what I'd think the car would use to power the console, car computer, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course, now that I go back to my car, the driver console DOESN'T show the current shore draw, it instead shows that charging in scheduled at 12:05am. IN between I had taken the car out for a drive. I am guessing that the shore power draw on the driver console will only appear AFTER the car has been charged, and continues to be plugged into the wall. At any rate, you can still see the shore power draw on the 17" charging screen. Note that the car takes a little while before it starts to draw shore power if you've just plugged it in, so be a little patient.

Very interesting... thanks. Now that I think about it when I've finished charging for the night via HPWC (all of twice, lol) I've not sat in the seat before disconnecting... so the dah was already powered down. I'll try this tomorrow, thanks.

Do you see any indication on your HPWC/UMC LEDs that you are drawing the 1A power?

I also wonder if this implies no vampire losses while plugged in but charging completed? (I seem to still have losses in .43)

Just installed 4.5 and played with it a bit.

As cosmacelf said, if you open the charging screen, you can always see the power draw when running on shore power. For instance, I just had my A/C on in the garage and it was drawing 5 amps @ 240V. The UMC was doing its green light dance during this time. If charging is scheduled, the shore power draw does not seem to be displayed on the driver's console, as cosmacelf noted.

I then turned off the A/C. After a few moments, power draw dropped to zero and the green light dance on the UMC stopped. This is a little different than what cosmaself saw.

This was interesting to me: the release notes state that using the touchscreen will draw from shore power if not charging. And yet after I turned off the A/C, the power draw dropped to zero and my UMC stopped dancing. This implies to me that touchscreen use alone does not draw from shore power.

Anyone else care to try it out and verify? Perhaps the power draw is small enough that it doesn't register, or perhaps the release notes are wrong. Or perhaps I am wrong.

My experience has been the car will draw shore power *on occasion* if you're not running any large accessories like HVAC. It will cycle the UMC/HPWC to briefly replace the power that was used running the low-power accessories. Basically it's keeping the pack input balanced with output as much as reasonably possible. Watch what happens when you're in the car, it's not drawing any power (voltage = 0) and you turn on the A/C. The amperage will ramp up to ~15 and quickly ramp back down to whatever's needed to balance input/output.

Just installed 1.33.44 on mine.

"I think we're gonna need a bigger battery."

NearestSupercharger.png

Seriously though. WTB WA & OR SCs, ASAP; TYVM.

SuperchargersList.png

This UI was new to me. I don't recall seeing it in the release notes, or in the previous version. I don't know if it's actually new or not.

RecentPlaces.png

Upgraded to firmware 4.5 (1.33.44) and now I'm getting loud fan noise from behind my touchscreen. It's always there, even on a cold night in my cold garage. I've owned the car 5 months and I've never heard that fan ever in my life before. It started right after the firmware upgrade to 4.5

Anyone else?

I tried rebooting both screens, and tried pulling fuse 51 & replacing it, no help.

Two quick things I forgot to mention:
1. The charging maximum UI auto-dismisses after 30 seconds or so (which leaves you at the familiar charging screen).
2. The charging maximum UI doesn't show numbers, where I previously thought it would.

As for duration of the update installation...

I started at 09:00pm, so really at 09:02pm. Sometime after 09:04:29pm the car stopped responding to REST queries.

As early as 09:25:57pm, the car was responding to REST queries with the new version number.

So 21.5 minutes "roughly".

Upgraded to firmware 4.5 (1.33.44) and now I'm getting loud fan noise from behind my touchscreen. It's always there, even on a cold night in my cold garage. I've owned the car 5 months and I've never heard that fan ever in my life before. It started right after the firmware upgrade to 4.5

Anyone else?

I tried rebooting both screens, and tried pulling fuse 51 & replacing it, no help.

Ach... I have the same issue. Fuse 51 reseat worked for me when I first had this symptom with v4.4 but, it's back with 4.5 now and I haven't tried the fuse yet. Taking it into service today for several other issues so, will have this looked at. Being discussed here:

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues - Page 169

My fan was on as well after the update, but it shut down on its own sometime later. I didn't check the exact time, but somewhere like about an hour or less...

I sat in the car and watched the update begin, and it wasn't very elegant...Displays flashed, driver display rebooted and then "call service" messages came up on both screens with a larger window on the 17" that said update in progress...No response to UI, etc. I left it alone and it finished just fine....