Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I noted up-thread, I was told on Friday that the roll-out was temporarily stopped.

My car has a minor bug that the Service Center assured me is fixed in v4.5 - When the MCU fan runs at 100% it doesn't dial itself back down to a lower speed again, which means you hear a constant light humming from behind the center screen; the temp fix is to pull the fuse. This only showed up after I got some very high interior car temps from parking in the sun.

As I noted up-thread, I was told on Friday that the roll-out was temporarily stopped.

My car has a minor bug that the Service Center assured me is fixed in v4.5 - When the MCU fan runs at 100% it doesn't dial itself back down to a lower speed again, which means you hear a constant light humming from behind the center screen; the temp fix is to pull the fuse. This only showed up after I got some very high interior car temps from parking in the sun.

I believe you're right about it being stopped. I have an alert to update but it won't let me download. The update arrived sometime while I was out of town last week. Went to update on Friday night and several times this weekend and won't download.

I've noticed this as well, very annoying....

Yeah! That was very very annoying.

They still start up before the car is activated by brake pedal, based on butt-in-seat weight... so close the door *quickly* if you don't want the wipers to dump a load of water on the inside of your door.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure Tesla avoids listing all bug fixes because the media will intentionally take those bug reports out of context just to make the company look bad.

Example fix: "Bug fixed where doors sometimes don't lock when blah blah blah..."
Media spin: "Model S doesn't lock it's doors. Car is unsafe and a bad investment, blah blah"

I asked about it, and was told it's a user experience thing -- too many fixes to list and deciding what to include in the release notes and what not to include was erring on the side of major changes only.

My opinion was that the windshield wiper thing was major, but the powers-that-be didn't think so. :)

They still start up before the car is activated by brake pedal, based on butt-in-seat weight... so close the door *quickly* if you don't want the wipers to dump a load of water on the inside of your door.

Wait a minute--I'm pretty sure this is the behavior I've been experiencing all along. My wipers would swipe immediately when I sat in the seat, not when I turned the car on.

I'm pretty sure Tesla avoids listing all bug fixes because the media will intentionally take those bug reports out of context just to make the company look bad.

Example fix: "Bug fixed where doors sometimes don't lock when blah blah blah..."
Media spin: "Model S doesn't lock it's doors. Car is unsafe and a bad investment, blah blah"

I understand that motivation, but it is not reasonable to expect me to update when I have no idea what the update will do. I expect to be able to make an informed decision about whether I want the intended changes the update is supposed to bring (and risk the unintended changes), and for that I need the release notes BEFORE I run the update, not after as is (sometimes) currently implemented. No release notes at all is completely unacceptable.

I think accepting updates should be mandatory. It's good to have the option of when you apply the update, but if you've ignored it and not applied it in 10 days, it should force update overnight.

I would hate to think that future development was being stifled because too much time was being spent supporting the laggards, for example, when they encounter issues on older versions of the software and call in to ownership support.

I think the release notes should ONLY contain areas where features that are documented in the Manual have changed.