Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is what I heard... don't ask from where..

next version is 4.5
it will have 1,100 updates (so yes, the big one -- and will fix the audio issues previously discussed)
coming mid-may
there are 4 wires for sensors up front ... park assist??

From where?

Ha!

Four wires up front would seem to be unlikely for park assist, since the rear would be far more useful, and plenty of tear-downs have shown nothing useful back there.

Not sure what else they could be, but going back to the next announcement being 'under your nose', this could fit. Adaptive cruise maybe, but that doesn't do much for me. IR front camera for night driving? Could be interesting. KnightRider lights? Now we're talking :)

I'm getting a little weary of these incremental updates that add little to no functionality and that don't seem to address a lot of reported issues.
I found out from the service tech that there are a WHOLE lot of timing problems with inter-module communication in the car. These account for a lot of "spooky" hard-to-reproduce bugs which can be quite serious (door handles opening or closing at the wrong times, etc). I would expect that the programmers are spending much of their time trying to iron these out, rather than the more blatant bugs. Timing bugs are often a pain to fix.

Hey everyone!

Is there any guidance for a newbie on whether or not I should apply the update once it comes out? Should I jump on it as soon as possible or should I wait a bit?

Just picked up my Model S two days ago and was curious to the best course of action.

Hey everyone!

Is there any guidance for a newbie on whether or not I should apply the update once it comes out? Should I jump on it as soon as possible or should I wait a bit?

Just picked up my Model S two days ago and was curious to the best course of action.

It will kill you to wait! Sheer torture.

However.... Install updates while parked at home is my best suggestion.

Nothing is ever perfect, and some firmware updates will cause problems. Just like anything else will cause problems. Some people will therefore choose to wait and see if a given update causes problems before upgrading. Me, I choose to be more relaxed and trusting about this issue: I figure they released it because they think it's good, so I upgrade immediately when it's offered.

Personal style thing... your choice. :)

Hey everyone!

Updates are pushed to the car and only after that do you receive the clock symbol for installation. You won't get a different update by waiting unless you mean that you want to skip a version completely; do that and you risk mis-matched versions in the different modules.

I agree though do the update at home maybe after a full standard charge.

I've been so, so tempted to run the update at work but I am an hour's drive from home with no public transportation options. If something goes wrong at home in my driveway, well, I'm at home, and I live just a few miles from the Toronto Service Center. I've done 4.2 to 4.3 and 4.3 to 4.4 (at home) with no issues whatsoever.

Just came back from the Munich Tesla Store. They just received a new demo car and it has 4.5 installed. Just skimmed through the release notes and here is what I remember:

- Charger locations in map (superchargers and recently used chargers for now)
- improved battery heat management
- will draw power from wall socket when heating/cooling car
- front screen defrost option

And other things which I forgot right now. Sounds the winter update came a little late :)

- will draw power from wall socket when heating/cooling car

Aha! I've been telling folks mine doesn't draw shore power when pre-heating! Seems to be hit and miss with some cars as to whether it uses shore power or not.

- front screen defrost option

??? I think they've had front defrost from the get-go. One thing I don't like about my front defrost option is that it always puts the temperature up to max when I run it. I've never seen that before. All you need is to direct the air there, turn the fan up a bit and engage the a/c compressor (to dehumidify the air).

Aha! I've been telling folks mine doesn't draw shore power when pre-heating! Seems to be hit and miss with some cars as to whether it uses shore power or not.

Curious. I tried it the other day and it still worked. Go figure.

I think they've had front defrost from the get-go. One thing I don't like about my front defrost option is that it always puts the temperature up to max when I run it. I've never seen that before. All you need is to direct the air there, turn the fan up a bit and engage the a/c compressor (to dehumidify the air).

Maybe this is a new mode option for front defog... or maybe they've changed it so it works sensibly! The original full blast approach left you sweating in a few minutes. When you turned it off, it went to default settings instead of you previous tailored settings, with the inevitable result that it fogged over again a few minutes later. I sent them a detailed explanation of what I thought it should do back in December... hopefully they did that! Probably won't be able to really test this until next winter.

Last edited: