Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was my first thought as well on reading the notes. I know some of the folks here love the flexibility, but what im most interested in is keeping my battery in as good a condition as possible when not range charging for a trip. Thats what the current standard charge purports to do, so should i keep charging to 90% or whatever, or will there be updated guidance? Really, i liked not having to think about it.

Agreed. The only time I would do differently (charge to 90% as a standard charge) is if I were to store the Model S for a long time. Then I would set it at 50%. The information I've read--that I consider to be the most authoritative--on battery life indicates that 1) Storage is best at 50% and 2) Driving is best between 90% and 50%. My opinion is that there won't be that much difference in battery life regardless of how it's treated unless it's either driven to zero frequently or left at 100% for longish periods.

Map rotation should be done locally in the car - and not require a new download as the car turns. I've had this in my Toyota/Lexus nav systems - and the Tegra processors in the Model S should be able to handle the rotation.

It's not as simple as rotating the squares. You want the street names and icons to remain horizontal in most cases.

Putting in 30% is just asking for trouble with a broader population I think. People here who understand the range limitations would be fine but would likely lead to others running out when unexpected trips come up or complaining the charge time is too long if they go outside their precisely defined commute.

Battery Support
When Model S is plugged in but not actively charging it will draw energy from the wall rather than using energy stored in the battery, e.g., when you've turned on climate control to cool/heat the cabin or when you're sitting in your car and using the touchscreen while it's parked.

Improved Battery Heating
Battery heating when charging on low wall power grid connections has been improved to ensure the battery does not discharge to heat itself.

"New Front Defrost Mode" still remains somewhat a mystery.

This does clarify a few things for me about the Model S battery. It wasn't clear if the battery used some of its own energy to heat itself in the winter (contributing to vampire loss during cold weather), but now it appears that the battery does self heat in some cases.

That's not meant as a driving mode though. You were supposed to charge to standard mode and charge before taking off.

Agreed, but the slider is a nice simple way to implement Storage mode, Standard mode and Range mode with a lot more flexibility. I wish my Roadster had the same. I usually top up to 50% since I don't need the full range and maintaining a lower SOC is easier on the battery.

The map should be layered - should be able to rotate the map layer - and then adjust the street names and icons in a separate layer.

Believe my older Lexus and Toyota vehicles did that.

This would be true if they were displaying custom maps. But they're just pulling good old Google Maps from the web which is a single layer. If you're saying they should use a different provider, that's a whole 'nother ball of wax. And for those with the tech package the navigation feature (Navigon) drops the "forward always up" view on the dash.

Personally, I think they should stay with a free, public mapping service for the big screen. More current, no subscription charges, available traffic without an upcharge, etc.

The Waze vs. Google Map debate can rage somewhere else, please :biggrin:

This would be true if they were displaying custom maps. But they're just pulling good old Google Maps from the web which is a single layer. If you're saying they should use a different provider, that's a whole 'nother ball of wax. And for those with the tech package the navigation feature (Navigon) drops the "forward always up" view on the dash.

The newer google maps API is vector based. Tesla would need to move to that to do the things people are asking for. Recent versions of Android and the google maps app for IOS use this now.

Let me know how sleep mode works out for you when you get it back. Still working great here. :)

Can't say for certain, but I would think that such a great and wanted feature would NOT be removed unless there were some significant issues with it. That you havent run into them is great. But, I suspect there's the possibility something not good or desired could happen. I'd keep an eye on your 12V battery for instance. Just a suggestion, not an indictment.