Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What happens if you're connected to something that can't deliver 26 amps? Does it take what it can from the wall, and the rest from the battery?

I'd suspect yes.

I would bet that just about everything is run FROM the battery pack... and the chargers simply replenish that reserve. If the charger is supplying that energy "real time" at the same rate as the draw, then it's largely academic... you might as well say that the load is being supplied by the shore power.

It's a giant laptop, really.

Just got the 4.5 last night.. i noticed the fan is much quieter, and i think the airflow is less than before .. ie) at level 4 before, i remember hearing and feeling more airflow, now with '4' i can barely hear it, and feel significantly less airflow.. anyone else notice this ?

Still waiting on getting the update alert? anybody hear still waiting....thought it would get pushed to everyone simultaneously?

No there are many many reasons why they roll these out slowly (and probably somewhat randomly). Bandwidth and bug checking being the major ones. 4.5 roll out already got halted once.

I would expect that once Tesla feels a release is bug free, the whole roll out will be about 2 weeks.

Just got the 4.5 last night.. i noticed the fan is much quieter, and i think the airflow is less than before .. ie) at level 4 before, i remember hearing and feeling more airflow, now with '4' i can barely hear it, and feel significantly less airflow.. anyone else notice this ?
What version were you on before? At some point, I think they added more levels of fan. It used to have 8 and now has 11 if I recall correctly (I'm on 4.4). Consequently, level 4 of 8 is more powerful than level 4 of 11.

What version were you on before? At some point, I think they added more levels of fan. It used to have 8 and now has 11 if I recall correctly (I'm on 4.4). Consequently, level 4 of 8 is more powerful than level 4 of 11.

I was on 4.4 before , and i also had the 11 levels before.. btw, i spoke to Tesla service, and they did get some internal notes that the fan noise has been reduced in the new update, but they werent sure if that also meant reduced airflow.. so can anyone whom has 4.5 confirm this as well ?

I was on 4.4 before , and i also had the 11 levels before.. btw, i spoke to Tesla service, and they did get some internal notes that the fan noise has been reduced in the new update, but they werent sure if that also meant reduced airflow.. so can anyone whom has 4.5 confirm this as well ?

I noticed (on 4.4 at least) that in Range Mode, the fan will only go up to 8.

I installed 4.5 a couple of nights ago. Now there is an audible, and constant, hum from behind the display. It doesn't stop when the car shuts down. The dash also feels warm, but I never checked it before so don't know if that's new. It also seems like the battery drain while the car is sitting is heavier. Anyone else have this new behavior?

Darmok, search threads for the display fan noise. All kinds of people have had issues with the fans that cool the display. If they ever get up to 100% on, they do not back down. There's a fix where you pull and reinstall one of the fuses, and it's worked for everyone. Using the hint that you are in Las Vegas, I'm guessing you had a hot day and the displays had to cool.

I installed 4.5 a couple of nights ago. Now there is an audible, and constant, hum from behind the display. It doesn't stop when the car shuts down. The dash also feels warm, but I never checked it before so don't know if that's new. It also seems like the battery drain while the car is sitting is heavier. Anyone else have this new behavior?

The hum from behind the display started when temperatures got really got in the car, pegging the cooling fan to 100%. The firmware wasn't allowing the fan to drop back down. 4.5 was supposed to fix this, but this was not *caused* by 4.5. It was evident in 4.4.

BTW, the fan does stop when you get out of the car.

Darmok, search threads for the display fan noise. All kinds of people have had issues with the fans that cool the display. If they ever get up to 100% on, they do not back down. There's a fix where you pull and reinstall one of the fuses, and it's worked for everyone. Using the hint that you are in Las Vegas, I'm guessing you had a hot day and the displays had to cool.

I'm not finding anything on a quick search, but I'll look up which fuse it is. Another trip into the fuse box. (previously for a stuck door handle) Joy!

It has been warm here, but the fan staying on is definitely new to 4.5. I sat in the car while it updated, and after the update the fan came on, and was the first time I had even heard it. I have shut the car down manually and the fan continues. It's sort of like the light in the refrigerator problem, though--there's no way to know if the fan is on without being in the car.

I get the impression the "old standard" charge was 92-93% and the "new daily max" charge is 90%. I'll keep an eye on the REST logs, but that's my initial impression.

Sounds about right. My previous standard charge netted out at 184 miles. Woke up this morning to 179 (with not much time for vampire load after charging up).

I'm not finding anything on a quick search, but I'll look up which fuse it is. Another trip into the fuse box. (previously for a stuck door handle) Joy!

It has been warm here, but the fan staying on is definitely new to 4.5. I sat in the car while it updated, and after the update the fan came on, and was the first time I had even heard it. I have shut the car down manually and the fan continues. It's sort of like the light in the refrigerator problem, though--there's no way to know if the fan is on without being in the car.

Fuse 51. Thread here: Model S Technical/Mechanical Issues

Dropped my car off at the Fremont service center today and mentioned that, post-4.5, the touchscreen fan hum is present constantly (although it's not as loud as it was with 4.4 before I did the fuse thing). My car hadn't even been out in the sun post-4.5. The service advisor was going to get it looked at and touch base with Engineering if necessary.

i'm still on 4.4

wtf

24121677.jpg

I'm also on 4.4 BTW... happy to wait out the bugs.