Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving yesterday with the navigation on, and it just quit before I reached my destination. So I selected my destination again from the "recent" list, it started again for a little while, and quit again. I probably tried 10 times and each time it kept silently dropping out of nav mode. I was not in a areas with poor 3G signal. I was very low on charge ( <10 miles remaining) but that shouldn't effect the nav function. Anyone else see this issue? I am running 1.33.44 firmware.

I totally agree this "Battery Support" feature should be disable-able. With my SDG&E TOU2 plan, if I start drawing wall power in the afternoon, I'm paying about twice as much as the midnight - 5 AM period.
With 4.5, I have to plug in the UMC just before I head up to bed (I have scheduled charging to begin at 12:05 AM) in order to avoid higher TOU rates.
You lost me. Are you running the HVAC or sitting in the car w/ the radio/touchscreen on between when you come home from work and midnight? If not then why do you care? It shouldn't be drawing wall power if the car is just sitting.

This really only draws power when you decide to preheat or precool your cabin I thought, right? If you sit in your car listening to the radio you could unplug before you do that. I guess you could run out to your car and unplug it before you preheat or cool your cabin too. I don't think this is a major issue but I don't have TOU rates.

Last edited:
If you are concerned about TOU rates while using the radio/touchscreen, then the Model S is not for you. Even the base model would be WELL outside your price range. Do you worry about keeping the TV/radio off in the house during daylight hours?

If you are concerned about HVAC usage before you go to bed, then I question why you're heating or air conditioning your car's cabin before you go to bed.

Folks, I don't get it either. Why the hubub about accessory usage and off-peak rates? The power draw for such things is minimal, and rare.

If you are concerned about TOU rates while using the radio/touchscreen, then the Model S is not for you. Even the base model would be WELL outside your price range. Do you worry about keeping the TV/radio off in the house during daylight hours?

If you are concerned about HVAC usage before you go to bed, then I question why you're heating or air conditioning your car's cabin before you go to bed.

Folks, I don't get it either. Why the hubub about accessory usage and off-peak rates? The power draw for such things is minimal, and rare.

Best comment to wrap up this debate!

If you are concerned about TOU rates while using the radio/touchscreen, then the Model S is not for you. Even the base model would be WELL outside your price range. Do you worry about keeping the TV/radio off in the house during daylight hours?/QUOTE]

Todd:
Do you leave the lights on and the tv running all day? Keep your criticism and your uninformed statements about my finances to yourself. You don't know me.

The rest of this is NOT directed to you:

I am talking about battery conditioning more than anything else. In the summer the battery is cooled and in the winter it's warmed. You do not control this; it's done automatically by the car.
There are other things that use power. Haven't you ever gone out to the garage and heard the Tesla's fan running?

I would just prefer that this power be taken from the battery rather than the wall. Why should this "improvement" end up costing me money?
Whether it's a $1 a day or a nickle a day, I want to be able to disable this feature.

If you are concerned about TOU rates while using the radio/touchscreen, then the Model S is not for you. Even the base model would be WELL outside your price range. Do you worry about keeping the TV/radio off in the house during daylight hours?/QUOTE]

Todd:
Do you leave the lights on and the tv running all day? Keep your criticism and your uninformed statements about my finances to yourself. You don't know me.

The rest of this is NOT directed to you:

I am talking about battery conditioning more than anything else. In the summer the battery is cooled and in the winter it's warmed. You do not control this; it's done automatically by the car.
There are other things that use power. Haven't you ever gone out to the garage and heard the Tesla's fan running?

I would just prefer that this power be taken from the battery rather than the wall. Why should this "improvement" end up costing me money?
Whether it's a $1 a day or a nickle a day, I want to be able to disable this feature.

And I'd prefer that it came from the wall, to reduce wear on the batteries and so I've got the range I expect.

In the summer the battery is cooled and in the winter it's warmed. You do not control this; it's done automatically by the car. There are other things that use power. Haven't you ever gone out to the garage and heard the Tesla's fan running?

My understanding and experience is that this battery conditioning typically only happens once a charge cycle is started. I've only had my car since early March, but we did have some very cold weather and I don't think the pack heater ever came on just while the car was sitting. There probably is some hot/cold threshold where this does happen, but I haven't bumped into it yet. At that point, I wouldn't care where the power came from as long as the battery was being protected. I've never come out to the car to hear a fan running unless it was in the midst of a charging cycle.

Todd:

You missed my point. I'm not criticizing you, nor do I claim to know anything about your finances. What I was saying--rather tongue in cheek--was that the cost of accessory use during peak periods is going to be no more than a blip in an electric bill, if it's visible at all. That's what my comment was directed at.

The power usage by the touchscreen/radio is very, very small. We're talking equivalent to maybe a few hundred watts total. I'm sure you know that. Now multiply that by the amount of time you sit in your car fiddling with the screen and listening to the radio in the garage while plugged in. Maybe what, 15 minutes a day? I'm sure that's probably an overestimate, but let's roll with it. Ok, that's 300W*.25= 75 Wh. Now, consider that when you use the touchscreen/radio, the UMC doesn't typically go on right away. That's because it will only go on when the 12V battery that powers it drops below some threshold requiring a top off from the main pack. Likely you won't even hit this threshold, so the actual use is much less, perhaps even zero. Ok, so there's a contribution of maybe 0-45 Wh....and that's an overestimate...on a daily basis. Remember, this assumes you sit in your car for 15 minutes a day in the garage, listening to the radio and fiddling with the touchscreen.

Ok, let's look at HVAC next. This could be significant power draw, so I can see the argument for user control here...but how much are you all conditioning your car for? For me, it's no more than about 10 minutes. Given about 1kW average for the heat pump, that's about 200 Wh used in those 10 minutes. The winter is worse. Maybe 5 kW, let's say. So in about 15 minutes, we're talking maybe 1,250 Wh.

As for battery pack conditioning, there is very minimal active thermal management unless the car is in very high or low temperatures (I believe the numbers were ABOVE 120°F or below 30°F, or something to that effect). I actually believe there's much less of this in recent firmware updates. But regardless, to my knowledge 4.5 did not change any of this behavior. Active pack management still draws from the battery, unless specifically preheating or cooling the car. I have never seen my UMC click on while the car was just sitting in the garage. I could be wrong, but I don't believe it's doing this.

FWIW, I've noticed my car drawing ~20 amps when I've been sitting in the car fiddling with the screen (saving favorite web sites and tune-in stations). But it stops shortly after getting out of the car (under 30 seconds). Most of that is the HVAC draw.

Overall, this is a nit -- I've spent perhaps 20 minutes total doing that -- and it won't be a common thing. And it was nice to sit in a cool car in our hot AZ garage...

I'm still running on 4.4 since I took delivery 6 weeks ago. How does Tesla select who gets the upgrades, who doesn't, and when they show up? I'm in no rush to upgrade, but wish it was a bit predictable, like a Windows Patch Tuesday or something.

I'm still running on 4.4 since I took delivery 6 weeks ago. How does Tesla select who gets the upgrades, who doesn't, and when they show up? I'm in no rush to upgrade, but wish it was a bit predictable, like a Windows Patch Tuesday or something.
I took delivery on 4/18. I still havent had 4.5 pushed to me. But based on what I'm seeing in this thread, I'm in no hurry as 4.4 has been rock solid for me (knocks on wood).