Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Problems I've had since update

1. Internet is flaky and hit or miss even though I have a good signal and haven't had trouble in the past
2. Radio/Bluetooth to my phone sometimes won't work now. Says its playing but no audio
3. Update killed 12v during update while plugged into a 15amp 120v

Oh and I have a rattle thumping coming from trunk when I go over bumps... I know no software but I'm ranting lol

I've had the .61 flavor of 4.5 for a few weeks now... when reading jomo25's comments, i recall that I also had the dome light reset to "off". I had to change it back to auto.

I've also noticed handle-extension problems a couple of times... nothing consistent that I can determine... just seems finickier than the previous two flavors of 4.5 I had....

I've had the .61 flavor of 4.5 for a few weeks now... when reading jomo25's comments, i recall that I also had the dome light reset to "off". I had to change it back to auto.

I've also noticed handle-extension problems a couple of times... nothing consistent that I can determine... just seems finickier than the previous two flavors of 4.5 I had....

Since updating to .61 my passenger side handles (both) no longer open when car is unlocked by pushing on them to extend. Driver side doors (both) extend fine. Unlocking with key fob extends all four handles. Arrgh.

I don't recall a single person reporting a bug/glitch that .61 fixed, but almost everyone has reported bugs/glitches that it has created.

It fixed at least two things for me:

1. The screens no longer go to the day settings at night when entering the parking lot. (This was very annoying.)

2. The Nav screen goes from night to day instantly now rather than requiring me to toggle the traffic button to get a change.

The two new bugs are:

1. The backup camera greys out when a drop down appears. (Everyone knows about this.)

2. Bluetooth connection sometimes doesn't connect to the phone. (Requires going to the BT menu on the phone and then selecting Okay when the dialog box asks if you want to pair the phone. It doesn't require deleting the phone on the Tesla.)

So overall it's just a bit better.

You must be really bored waiting for your Model X to be reading firmware update threads! I didn't start reading this thread until I had a Model S in the driveway...

Maybe bug-ridden mess was overstating things a bit, but I'm still not convinced this was a worthwhile update.

I don't recall a single person reporting a bug/glitch that .61 fixed, but almost everyone has reported bugs/glitches that it has created.

I have never had a problem with any of the updates.

I also have had no problem I can DIRECTLY attribute to .61 or any other update.

I've had occasional failure of door handles to auto present, but happened plenty before .61, so I cannot pin it on the specific release.
Also have had issue of occasional bluetooth disconnects from phone, but that also happened occasionally before .61.

Though I believe there are some posters who have evidence to directly correlate a problem to a release, I sense that quite a few posters relate a problem to the release under which they first NOTICED the problem - though the problem may have long preceded that release.

I still believe that all of the things here are mere nits, and given that Tesla appears to listen well and address the nits (screen cooling fan noise, day/night map caching, etc.), I take every "bug ridden" release with full faith that minor problems get ironed out eventually.

I would rather have frequent "over the air" releases that introduce major new enhancements and get all of the additional testing/illumination of this forum than traditional once a year "visit the dealer" releases that are opaque. Just me, maybe.

I tend to agree Tomas. And I fully put myself in the category of having noticed a few things recently, and I happen to have .61... but human perception being what it is, i may have just been more attentive after having read this thread.

All in all, I believe the car continues to improve with the updates, and I applaud Tesla for continuing to rapidly address issues. This doesn't even factor in introduction of major new features such as anticipated for major releases (i.e. v5.x)...

I've got some fixes to report:

1. I have not had my "schizophrenic door handles" issue (search the threads) since updating to 4.5. When opening the doors after parking, often my handles used to extend, retract, then extend again. Now they just extend once, as it should be. So that's been fixed.

2. I believe .61 in particular has fixed the issue in which my sunroof would open to vent occasionally after opening a door. It happened 8 times on an earlier 4.5 release (.44), but I don't think I've seen it with .61.

Unfortunately, half of these issues were both introduced and fixed in 4.5...so that doesn't count as forward movement overall.

Of course we need to bear in mind that everyone is not running the exact same firmware, even when you are on the same "version". There are different hardware versions of the various processors, etc., in the car. Cars built around the same time tend to have all the same hardware; but after service they might have a unique mix. If your car has a unique combination of hardware releases, Tesla has to assemble a unique build for your car.

Of course we need to bear in mind that everyone is not running the exact same firmware, even when you are on the same "version". There are different hardware versions of the various processors, etc., in the car. Cars built around the same time tend to have all the same hardware; but after service they might have a unique mix. If your car has a unique combination of hardware releases, Tesla has to assemble a unique build for your car.
I wish they made this visible to the owner. I'd be happy with REST queries; I don't need Tesla to invest in the front-end UI for it.

I stumbled across a way to save the usb music location once you exit the car. Before leaving the car on 4.5 you've got to switch to FM. Once you reenter the car you can switch back to USB and it will have remembered your last location on the USB. An annoying bug that is hopefully fixed in version 5

This may have been discussed, I just can't find it anywhere, but I'm seeing a discrepancy in my battery usage.

Starting range (EPA) - 224
Completion range (EPA) - 110
Difference - 114
Actual Miles - 100 @ 290/wHr

Given my usage, 290, I should be able to beat the EPA prediction. Not less than...

Anyone else see this happening?