Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 5.6 experience: in 24 hours I lost 4 miles range from a standard charge. I did have to back the car up and pull it forward once. So my guess is that it would have been 3 had I not woke the car up twice. It's a big improvement. With 4.5 I was losing 10-12 miles a day.

That's still interesting! That's probably Tesla home base communicating with the car. UDP/1194 is typically OpenVPN. Interesting!

Yeah, but I would think it would be the other way around. Model S should be the client connecting to TM servers. It's been a while since I did OpenVPN myself, but I seem to remember the clients being able to connect through firewalls easily (i.e. no need to port forward).

That's still interesting! That's probably Tesla home base communicating with the car. UDP/1194 is typically OpenVPN. Interesting!

This is my guess as well. I know Tesla can ssh or telnet (I sure hope it's ssh) into the cars. I doubt they would expose these interfaces to the public.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, but I would think it would be the other way around. Model S should be the client connecting to TM servers. It's been a while since I did OpenVPN myself, but I seem to remember the clients being able to connect through firewalls easily (i.e. no need to port forward).

It would have to be the car reaching back. You can't guarantee the car won't be behind a NAT, or that it has network connectivity at all for that matter. The Tesla side is guaranteed to be up 24/7 and not behind a NAT.

Recheck your range loss. It is more like 7 miles/24 hours with 5.6

I averaged 7.2 miles lost per day on 4.5 when it was parked for a week at the airport once. Saw a similar loss when I was on vacation and it was parked in the garage at home -- plugged in and it would top off every other night.

I don't have 5.6 yet -- but would be surprised if it still loses 7/day after I upgrade...

Well if that's true then vampire drain has not been cut in half as promised. I was hoping for something in range of 2-4 miles/day. Eagerly awaiting my update so I can test it out.

Someone who cares should do multi day test. Sure, the person with 200 mi daily commute and no place to plug at work should worry about first day loss. But I think that's rare vs the airport commuter who has to park 5 days w/o charge. I'll bet subsequent daily loss far less if car not woken up.