Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no ambiguity. The release 5.6 is already out there. That means it is "done". There's ample evidence they are rolling it on all new cars, europe, 5.0 cars, and beginning 4.5 cars. So what they say is what they mean. End of November is a month, and there's no reason to doubt that is realistic.

Just stop with the software release anxiety. I can understand the frustration of the guy with the 200 mile commute, but for 99% of us, I really think it's just something to fret about -- got the greatest toy in the world, but can't be happy unless it's on the absolute latest software release. Seriously, just be happy and not so darned cynical about a company that has delivered an amazing car and by and large has lived up to every commitment?

I think someone had a bad day at the office today. :rolleyes:

I'm not fretting or anxious, but that doesn't mean that I can't have a little fun on this forum from time to time with a little healthy sarcasm. If you're so serious you don't get the humor, just move along.

While I am not losing sleep or threatening bodily harm to any Tesla employees over it, I would like to have the new software upgrade to reduce my vampire drain, something that the company has promised would be released very soon since I took delivery early in the year. During that time I have sung the Company's praises, and heaped praise on this car, despite its occasional flaw (such as when my doors wouldn't open or my touch screen stopped working or when my UMC got a little too toasty). If you think I'm cynical, then I'd hate to see what you say in response to a true skeptic.

Hopefully you're right and "done" means everyone on 4.5 will be migrated to 5.6 by the end of November versus the upgrade path for those on 4.5 to 5.6 will be done by the end of November when the upgrades will start. Just because 5.6 is out in new cars doesn't mean the upgrade path from 4.5 to 5.6 is "done." In the meantime, I'm hoping your interpretation of "done" is correct.

Last edited:
Have we seen any indication of this, yet? I am still looking for the sign of the first 4.5 being updated OTA...

There were at least reports of service center updates from 4.5 in this thread, and I thought I saw OTA as well. Not sure what the euro 5.6s updated from??? Unless someone has inside info, or direct experience, no reason to suspect OTA wouldn't work from 4.5.

My guess (sorry, it's boring with no evil Tesla intentions:biggrin:): 5.6 enables features needed in Europe, therefore rolled out there first. 5.0 viewed as unstable release, so 5.0 drivers moved to 5.6. Tesla seems to use the same beta test group repeatedly, so most of them were on 5.0 early, and moved to 5.6 early. 4.5 viewed as stable release. No rush to move. Better to do it gradually to ensure stability in all configs.

If, as posted above, service center personnel are opening the door to providing update at service visits late Nov, then the people with 200 mile commutes will make the effort to get their updates for sleep mode.

Even if - as speculated by some, but not me - there is a problem with OTA update from 4.5 to 5.6, there's still no reason to assume end Nov is unrealistic to have that sorted... and worst case if it is not, then there would be alternative for people who really need or want it to go to Service Center.

There were at least reports of service center updates from 4.5 in this thread, and I thought I saw OTA as well. Not sure what the euro 5.6s updated from??? Unless someone has inside info, or direct experience, no reason to suspect OTA wouldn't work from 4.5.
I didn't say that it wouldn't work. I said it hadn't happened. And I have searched for this and have not seen a single 4.5 to 5.6 upgrade, not even in a service center, that has been reported here. So to the best of my knowledge (which of course is partial and incomplete) so far only "beta testers" which aren't allowed to even acknowledge that they ARE beta testers have received 4.5->5.6 upgrades.

If, as posted above, service center personnel are opening the door to providing update at service visits late Nov, then the people with 200 mile commutes will make the effort to get their updates for sleep mode.

There is another class of user who needs the 5.x update: Those who need to do a range charge at a supercharger before doing the next leg of a trip. Grants Pass to Woodburn, OR is a good example.

I drive from Boulder to Pagosa Springs multiple times a month (300 miles each way). The fastest route is via the Silverthorne supercharger, but because its 237 miles from Silverthorne to Pagosa Springs, I need to do very close to a range charge in my P85 to make that leg of the drive. I typically use about 110 rated miles from Boulder to Silverthorne. With 4.5, putting that back in the battery at a supercharger takes over 1.5 hours. With 5.x, that same charge should be 0.75 hour (45 min) or so. This would be a huge improvement for me.

I have asked the Service Center when I had my annual maintenance done and multiple other times to get the upgrade, but to no avail. It would be really nice to get the upgrade before I do this drive again next week...but it will probably be a few more laps before I get the upgrade...I wait patiently...

Dirk, I know you are all over this thread, and would know if it had been reported, so fair enough that we haven't seen report of 4.5 updated to 5.6 yet, and we do not know if any of the beta testers took that path because they can't tell us. So, we don't know what we don't know. The good news is, if as reported SCs will have capability for update in Nov, those with real upside in 5.6 (vs. just "I want it" or "they owe it to me") like the 200 mile commute poster who needs sleep mode, or the poster with a regular trip involving a supercharge who needs faster supercharge.

That started happening long ago. I was part of the chorus on that one.

I know, and so was I, but that was before pricing was officially announced. Just wait for how loud it is going to get once people truly start to realize that they are going to lose maps,voice commands, etc, without paying for the package. I get the feeling there are still a large percentage of people that don't know that is going to happen. The level of complaining is going to be directly proportional to the cost of the package.

I know, and so was I, but that was before pricing was officially announced. Just wait for how loud it is going to get once people truly start to realize that they are going to lose maps,voice commands, etc, without paying for the package. I get the feeling there are still a large percentage of people that don't know that is going to happen. The level of complaining is going to be directly proportional to the cost of the package.

I think that the majority of owners is unaware.

Whenever I meet other owners I am quite surprised how little those know who aren't regulars here on the forum. And I read somewhere (danger, danger) that only about 10% of the owners are actually here...