Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if 5.6 is officially released at Thanksgiving, what are the software updates that Elon mentioned at the recent German Service center opening?
He was talking about 6.0 (or maybe 5.7). These things definitely aren't in 5.6. And I sure hope that they won't hold the 5.6 rollout until those are ready.
Since we are right now getting feature promised for June, I guess that December is late spring in 'normal' calendars. At the very earliest.

Well in EU we are waiting for the 5.7 to come out, as 5.6 is limited to charg at 13/16a
Resulting in my 600km trip taking several hour longer than planed
My local TC guy mentioned that 5.6 was a test, and that 5.7 should come in the next couple of weeks
So we again can charge at 16/16a or 32/32a

I know, and so was I, but that was before pricing was officially announced. Just wait for how loud it is going to get once people truly start to realize that they are going to lose maps,voice commands, etc, without paying for the package. I get the feeling there are still a large percentage of people that don't know that is going to happen. The level of complaining is going to be directly proportional to the cost of the package.

I'm really curious how they're going to handle this, because navigation and 7 years of free updates are supposed to be included in the price of the tech package. You can't hardly start charging people a monthly fee for their navigation to work when they already paid a large up front cost for the feature. Then there's the smartphone connectivity. There has to be some basic level of data to the car for connectivity otherwise you lose some of the crucial functionality. I'm not sure why they don't allow maps to be stored offline for your region to keep data usage minimized and then provide updates to it when they're available.

I called my SC yesterday to inquire as to upgrade, and was told I'm on the list (5.0 GPS issues), but that 5.6 is having bugs (didn't say what), and that it may be another 3-4 weeks to work those 5.6 bugs out before they send to all 5.0 users.

I called my SC yesterday to inquire as to upgrade, and was told I'm on the list (5.0 GPS issues), but that 5.6 is having bugs (didn't say what), and that it may be another 3-4 weeks to work those 5.6 bugs out before they send to all 5.0 users.

Oh jeez. A 3-4 week delay is pushing it for 5.6 to be rolled out by Thanksgiving.

Let's just hope that we get some update by the end of 2013 and that we get the "December" update Elon referred to by next summer.

Oh jeez. A 3-4 week delay is pushing it for 5.6 to be rolled out by Thanksgiving.

Let's just hope that we get some update by the end of 2013 and that we get the "December" update Elon referred to by next summer.

I'd far rather wait and get something that works correctly as opposed to getting something that's really buggy and leaves me stranded. 4.5 doesn't seem as stable as 4.4, so I hope 5.6 will be better.

I'm really curious how they're going to handle this, because navigation and 7 years of free updates are supposed to be included in the price of the tech package. You can't hardly start charging people a monthly fee for their navigation to work when they already paid a large up front cost for the feature. Then there's the smartphone connectivity. There has to be some basic level of data to the car for connectivity otherwise you lose some of the crucial functionality. I'm not sure why they don't allow maps to be stored offline for your region to keep data usage minimized and then provide updates to it when they're available.
Point of clarification...

My understanding is that "Navigon" navigation (in the instrument cluster) comes with the 7 years of free updates and doesn't require an internet connectivity plan (i.e. you could update via wifi or at the service center). The Google navigation (on the 17") requires internet connectivity.

I'd far rather wait and get something that works correctly as opposed to getting something that's really buggy and leaves me stranded. 4.5 doesn't seem as stable as 4.4, so I hope 5.6 will be better.

Yeah, but I'm really curious what sort of bugs Tesla is concerned about in 5.6. All the folks here have, for the most part, had positive experiences saying it addressed all of their navigation issues.

If the bugs turn out to be small annoyances like the display freezing up occasionally (which already happens to me on 4.5) then I would take 5.6 in a heartbeat.

Edit: Ok I forgot about EU owners complaining about slow charging. However, this does not seem to affect the US builds.

Yeah, but I'm really curious what sort of bugs Tesla is concerned about in 5.6. All the folks here have, for the most part, had positive experiences saying it addressed all of their navigation issues.

If the bugs turn out to be small annoyances like the display freezing up occasionally (which already happens to me on 4.5) then I would take 5.6 in a heartbeat.

Edit: Ok I forgot about EU owners complaining about slow charging. However, this does not seem to affect the US builds.

+1, although possible that bugs from upgrading earlier built cars from 4.5 to 5.0 or 5.6 are different or more serious than those with new cars that were delivered with 5.0.

I'm kind of confused where this is coming from. My impression iss that dominant (by volume) version in the "fleet" at this point is 4.5 and I've had no issues of note with 4.5 on my car.

The charge port is less reliable (almost never opens with the UMC, maybe 1 in 10 times). And before you ask, 'cause I know you will :) the UMC and charge port were both changed by service.
The backup camera blanks out when any of the drop-downs appear (every time).
The audio sometimes doesn't go back to the closed door volume after opening.
The steering wheel lights don't always dim.
The driver's door sometimes doesn't open.

Now none of these are consistent or even very frequent (other than the UMC and camera) and none are major issues, but they never occurred when 4.4 was installed.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, jerry.

They replaced all four of my handles (with "v5"ish, I was on v1) when this happened to me in July.

- - - Updated - - -

The charge port is less reliable (almost never opens with the UMC, maybe 1 in 10 times). And before you ask, 'cause I know you will :) the UMC and charge port were both changed by service.
Hm. First I've heard of this.

The backup camera blanks out when any of the drop-downs appear (every time).
The audio sometimes doesn't go back to the closed door volume after opening.
The steering wheel lights don't always dim.

Now none of these are consistent or even very frequent (other than the UMC and camera) and none are major issues, but they never occurred when 4.4 was installed.

I also have all these same issues on 4.5. Just consider them annoyances but wouldn't mind having fixes for them.