Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought maybe it was my imagination, but the couple of times I've used the voice command since 5.6 it has worked nicely. I'd basically given up on it previously because it worked maybe one in ten times I'd tried. Even the Ranger couldn't get it to work and sent it up to engineering for a fix...

I'm still on 4.5 but mentioned poor voice recognition at my last service visit. The work order says they replaced "both" microphones. It is still the original-looking grill over the mirror and not the new style with the microphones clearly visible, but it seems much better nonetheless.

My 4 month-old S85 was updated to 5.6 yesterday at the SC at ~5500 miles (first tire rotation). The overnight test of sleep mode surprised me: 0 miles lost in 13.5 hours!

Some conditions I was aware of: The SC had left remote access OFF and I had connected the car to home WiFi upon my arrival. Temps were probably optimum in the garage overnight.

I'm also pleased at at the map update since my first road trip (to Napa from Orange County) starts Friday...:smile:

I have noticed since upgrading to 5.6 the slacker voice control seems to work better. Previously, I could only get a request to register while stopped (or driving very slowly) presumably due to background road noise. I have had more success even at highway speeds since the upgrade.

I wish there was somewhere to set the language (I assume there is on EU builds)? I'd really like UK English, then I'd stand a slightly better chance of it understanding me. Right now I have to sound like a tobacco-chewing cowboy (it's really the only American accent I can do, and it's still bad!) to stand a chance of it understanding me. I'm still on 4.5, but ever hopeful...

I wish there was somewhere to set the language (I assume there is on EU builds)? I'd really like UK English, then I'd stand a slightly better chance of it understanding me. Right now I have to sound like a tobacco-chewing cowboy (it's really the only American accent I can do, and it's still bad!) to stand a chance of it understanding me. I'm still on 4.5, but ever hopeful...

Try this as a guide:

[Moderator: adult language at one point, but it's Scottish and may not be understood by Americans plus it's too funny to delete]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd really like UK English, then I'd stand a slightly better chance of it understanding me. Right now I have to sound like a tobacco-chewing cowboy (it's really the only American accent I can do, and it's still bad!) to stand a chance of it understanding me.

Welcome to my world! I tend towards using a North East accent (lived in NY for a while years ago) and that works quite well but my 10-year-old still thinks it's hilarious entertainment.

I'm in much the same boat. Rated range is now sub-200 rather than the advertised 208? This really changes the value prop of the 60. I wonder what a new 60 shows on 5.6. One would hope it would match the advertised 208, but perhaps with 5.6's enhanced forecast accuracy, the distance is somewhat shorter than advertised. Nuts. I configured a car with battery range starting at 208... is that distance a flawed estimate? An incorrectly high number?

I contacted the Service Center today and they have forwarded my concern. I'll keep you posted.

This does seem to be a common theme among the 60s. Maybe it needs it's own thread?

I got 5.6 when my car was in yesterday for "service bulletins."

I like the updated nav, and Wifi is nice. I was surprised the fonts seem small across the board. As for rated range, I generally charge to 225 rated, and this AM is showed 222 (but that isn't uncommon). I don't think it slept over night, so need to move my key a little further away from the car. Anyone know what the minimum distance is?

I talked to service today, and they told me 5.6 is a controlled release. They are monitoring the cars that get the release for bugs. It could be another 3 weeks before I get it. Nothing I can do to push the download.

Anybody notice that the info screen (after tapping the Tesla logo at the top of the 17" screen) has changed and no longer dynamically shows the status of the exterior lights? I was curious about when my brake lights go on during regenerative braking. Is the exterior light information elsewhere now?

It's still available if you tap the battery icon to call up the charging screen. The lights still show dynamically including brake lights on regen.

I went through the release notes and the user manual and didn't find this anywhere...

Does an option actually pop up on the car's screen for you to be able to have the text read to you or skipped?

I meant to say didn't find this in release notes. there is no option in the screen, VR automatically says new text message from .... skip it or read it. if you don't say anything, it continues with your music or whatever you were on.

I meant to say didn't find this in release notes. there is no option in the screen, VR automatically says new text message from .... skip it or read it. if you don't say anything, it continues with your music or whatever you were on.

What kind of phone are you using? If it's a Windows Phone, then it's definitely the phone doing it and not the car.