Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can confirm the audio sounds a ton better! Thx to those who noticed. I flattened my eq now with dolby off and music is MUCH more clear than before!

super pleased as well with the apparent sound system "upgrade"!

Just out of curiosity, which sound system seems to be improved; The Sound Studio (original $1K audio upgrade), the UHFSS (recent, more expensive offering), or both?

I have premium so not sure about regular. According to my service the new more expensive option is the same equipment with higher price tag.

mine is premium sound.

you're all hearing things. it's all in your head. I bet they changed nothing. it's not like they would make a change like this and then not put it in the release notes, right? ;)

you're all hearing things. it's all in your head. I bet they changed nothing. it's not like they would make a change like this and then not put it in the release notes, right? ;)
The pattern has been:
  • advertise (release notes and web site) improvements [120 kW supercharging] even when they only apply to new cars
  • say nothing about ninja nerfs until called on it by owners that discover it [suspension lowering]
  • hide some nerfs behind improvements [changed energy app, remove projected option for instrument cluster]

I expected better of Tesla from 2011-2013. For 2014, this is the new normal that I expect. Hopefully this means I'll be pleasantly surprised more often than disappointed; in contrast to 2013.

Can someone who's been keeping up summarize the following regarding 5.8.4 (vs. the prior firmware):

1. Known PROs
2. Known CONs
3. Things some people suspect changed
4. Things we'd like to research about the preceding firmware

I'll probably upgrade tonite, so I'm most interested in #4.

Um, yes, the sound system in the S, especially our first one, was so terrible that if I were Tesla, I would quietly scramble to improve it without mentioning a thing. It was like the fuse in the booster amp was blown, which it may have been, it was just crap for a $100K+ luxury sedan. When we traded up it was night and day better, but even now, all the horsepower is in the dashboard, crammed into and facing the windshield... it gives a very narrow band forward heavy feel. there is practically no way to achieve a real lush surround sound feel, adjusting backward simply robs fidelity. at least now, the sound is pleasing enough that I can forget about it's idiosyncrasies. The car needs some more of the speakers moved behind the front seats, period, IMHO! If I'm in the minority, then fine, I could see why they haven't changed the design, but really, I've owned much less expensive cars with better sound. That said, I'm still over the top infatuated with the P85+.

Last edited:
Um, yes, the sound system in the S, especially our first one, was so terrible that if I were Tesla, I would quietly scramble to improve it without mentioning a thing. It was like the fuse in the booster amp was blown, which it may have been, it was just crap for a $100K+ luxury sedan. When we traded up it was night and day better, but even now, all the horsepower is in the dashboard, crammed into and facing the windshield... it gives a very narrow band forward heavy feel. there is practically no way to achieve a real lush surround sound feel, adjusting backward simply robs fidelity. at least now, the sound is pleasing enough that I can forget about it's idiosyncrasies. The car needs some more of the speakers moved behind the front seats, period, IMHO! If I'm in the minority, then fine, I could see why they haven't changed the design, but really, I've owned much less expensive cars with better sound. That said, I'm still over the top infatuated with the P85+.

diddo

I agree Rob, we should have an option of saying charge anyway.

If this were done, it would become acceptable to upgrade.

The "screw up charging" downgrade arrived while I was on a rather difficult road trip. It's lucky that I read TMC and knew enough to refuse to accept the upgrade. It's going to be an annoying nag to turn off every morning, though. Along with the stupid nag screen about WiFi (no, I don't have WiFi, that's my neighbor).

- - - Updated - - -

This is why I'm so concerned about potential "false-positives" with this firmware update. The vast majority of public charging sites are not going to call an electrician out just because a sensor went off in your car. Maybe they should, but they won't. The real-world result is you just lost 25% of your charging capacity at those sites. Unacceptable, IMO.
Completely unacceptable.

- - - Updated - - -

At home my voltage drops from 256 when starting, down to 239 under load. At at least one of the public chargers I used, it started at 209 and dropped to 189 under load; at another, IIRC, started at 213 and dropped to 195. These chargers are all just fine, of course. But will Tesla's new paranoid software slow down charging? I can't risk it.

- - - Updated - - -

If Tesla sits down and reads this chart which mknox provided, and makes sure that the Model S charges at "full speed" for anything within slightly beyond the "extreme range" of this chart (remembering that voltage will drop a little on its way to the charger from the utility connection), then I think we'd be OK.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/25608-Weak-power-at-new-place?p=536776&viewfull=1#post536776

The trouble is that Tesla seems to have chosen an overly paranoid algorithm.

Yeah, I think this was an overreaction - dropping 25% is probably overkill. I can completely see dropping 20%, then slowly increasing to 95% of the requested charge rate. Instead, I think the current algorithm backs off too far for too long... and gives up too easily. We also need push notifications to let us know if the car has a charging fault. I absolutely want the car to be sensitive to electrical conditions and if it could, help avoid melt downs and fires. It's now a matter of tuning the algorithm to give us what most of what we want, but help keep us out of trouble.

We are in such completely uncharted territory from so many perspectives, that I'd give the benefit of the doubt to Tesla, but also let them know how we feel about things.

How about this?

I was charging at 25A and had a 'fault' due to my UMC handle before charging was complete (still 2% to my set pt). Managed to get VT(app) to restart charging but it was charging at 30A now! not the 25A I set.(not a big deal in this circumstance..but) Isn't this essentially worse than what the 25% reduction is supposed to be for? anyways, next update fixes this

...I can make just about any system throw up a BSoD ;>

I think it is really hard to differentiate a faulty wiring/connection transient from additional loads being placed on the circuit. Given that most HPWC and UMC circuits are less than a year old, I'd bet the number of truly faulty EVSEs/outlets is an order of magnitude lower the poll shows.

Hopefully, this is a temporary measure similar to the road debris change in 5.8 and we will see a more well thought out solution in a future update. soon.

A question, have there been any instances of 5.8.4 trips for HPWCs?

I think time will tell if it's an over reaction, however, if no more UMC's melt and no more fires associated with the S in any way, followed by a substantial revision/improvement in the UMC, then I think we can all agree it was a success!! I think it's understandable that they take a path that assures, with virtually 100% certainty, that there will be no melting or fires related to the car going forward... it's super high stakes at this point, IMHO, it's just too early in the game for Tesla to absorb too many more hits without it having a lasting effect on momentum.

I would like to point out that I actually had the charge current dropped to 30A at home on my "backup" nema 14-50 for no reason, wires over-rated (and very short from main panel, like 6 feets gauge 3) and no significant voltage drop, 1 month old UMC...

I complained to ownership and they probably inspected the log because I tested again today and it charges at full 40A like it did before the 5.8.4.

My HPWC never dropped and still charges at 79A like it always did, before, after and now.

I think it is really hard to differentiate a faulty wiring/connection transient from additional loads being placed on the circuit. Given that most HPWC and UMC circuits are less than a year old, I'd bet the number of truly faulty EVSEs/outlets is an order of magnitude lower the poll shows.

Hopefully, this is a temporary measure similar to the road debris change in 5.8 and we will see a more well thought out solution in a future update. soon.

A question, have there been any instances of 5.8.4 trips for HPWCs?

Yes, I was charging at 80A the other day with my HPWC and it did trip near the end of a charge. This was the first time I've seen this happen. I also just happened to be running VT, and I could see the logged Voltage drop from my houses unloaded norm of ~248V to the low 200s. While none of my wiring was under any additional stress, it looks like the local transformer was.

If this were done, it would become acceptable to upgrade.

The "screw up charging" downgrade arrived while I was on a rather difficult road trip. It's lucky that I read TMC and knew enough to refuse to accept the upgrade. It's going to be an annoying nag to turn off every morning, though. Along with the stupid nag screen about WiFi (no, I don't have WiFi, that's my neighbor).

- - - Updated - - -

Completely unacceptable.

- - - Updated - - -

At home my voltage drops from 256 when starting, down to 239 under load. At at least one of the public chargers I used, it started at 209 and dropped to 189 under load; at another, IIRC, started at 213 and dropped to 195. These chargers are all just fine, of course. But will Tesla's new paranoid software slow down charging? I can't risk it.

- - - Updated - - -

If Tesla sits down and reads this chart which mknox provided, and makes sure that the Model S charges at "full speed" for anything within slightly beyond the "extreme range" of this chart (remembering that voltage will drop a little on its way to the charger from the utility connection), then I think we'd be OK.

Weak power at new place

I'm having real trouble buying into the "paranoid algorithm" argument. The idea that because you have done something without incident 99 times, that it's perfectly safe to do it again is a real flaw in thinking. It's the same type of thinking that has caused a number of very high profile disasters and has been sited repeatedly as one of the issues at NASA.

You should realize that a drop of 10% of voltage is very significant and a sign that something in the system is being stressed. Perhaps is isn't your stuff, your car is fine, your wiring that you just had installed is fine, your breaker is fine, but your neighborhoods transformer might not be. We have already seen the Model S cause transformers to boil over and to catch fire. Perhaps even in your single particular case it would be fine 99.9% of the time, but that would mean that somewhere out there, 1 time in 1000 something would go wrong. What should the criteria be for charging safely, that it's safe, each time, every time, with only one failure (Fire) in a Million?

I would cut them a lot of slack that if things look strange at the car, they back off charging. Personally, I'm surprised they only cut things back by 25%. Personally if I had set the back-off current I would have set it down 90% or so, or simply halted charging completely, which is what my personal design does.

Peter

How about this?

I was charging at 25A and had a 'fault' due to my UMC handle before charging was complete (still 2% to my set pt). Managed to get VT(app) to restart charging but it was charging at 30A now! not the 25A I set.(not a big deal in this circumstance..but) Isn't this essentially worse than what the 25% reduction is supposed to be for? anyways, next update fixes this

...I can make just about any system throw up a BSoD ;>

I had same thing happen. Was charging at 25A by choice. Car sensed a 'fault' and then resumed charging at 30A. Tesla needs to fix this. Not good