Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brilliant TMC Minds:

Has there been an appreciable change to the charging efficiency (as a % of usable kWh in the battery pack compared to what's pulled from the wall) in 5.6/5.8 with sleep mode engaged along with any other software modifications in the newer firmware?

Thanks,
Josh

Last edited:
It's still 5.8, just with the .25 extension. Not sure if its going out OTA. I got it when it was in the SvC. So, there's .22, .24 and .25, and I don't 'think there's any good info on what the differences are.

I heard from a Tesla guy on the support line (had a supercharger issue) that they are now up to .28. I have no idea what the additional fixes are...

I have a 60 and I am losing any where from 6 to 10 miles a night. I am parked outside and not plugged in. It has been cold in Oregon and nigh and it's expected to get really low for the next week so I am parking it at work in a garage. I do have 5.8

I noted back on post #368 that I too had regen reduction, sensation of reduced acceleration, and "looser" sport steering.

Now that I've done the toggle/reboot everything feels back to the way in was pre-5.8. The regen is much stronger, acceleration jolt is back, and the sport steering feels more connected again.

The grin is back...

Not sure if this was mentioned (a lot of pages in this thread), but after 5.8 I have a new glitch. When I go to leave every morning from the garage the home link always pops up and when this happens the reverse camera screen is just grayed out. Anyone else having this problem?

Slacker?

I noted back on post #368 that I too had regen reduction, sensation of reduced acceleration, and "looser" sport steering.

Now that I've done the toggle/reboot everything feels back to the way in was pre-5.8. The regen is much stronger, acceleration jolt is back, and the sport steering feels more connected again.

The grin is back...

Heard some folks lost access to Slacker when they rebooted. Did that happen to you?

Thanks . . .

Really? Mine still do. The car has to be "on" and the low beam headlights also have to be on, but that's how it's always been for me...

My fog lights still work as well, under the conditions you mention. That has also not changed for me.

Back to the "sideburn" lightpipes issue... I did some testing. I tried twice last night when it was dark, in case the headlight-sensor comes in to play, thus rendering my tests yesterday suspect. I tested once in a dark parking lot after an appointment, and again in my dark garage after I go home. Both times at least an hour had gone by since parked.

Using the proximity-unlock (i.e. NOT pressing the fob button), I got no sideburn lights. Using the fob button, I did get sideburn lights.

However, this morning I tried again in the dark garage with a fob-press, and I DID NOT get sideburn lights.

So I'm not sure what the variables are here. I also can't swear on the previous behavior, but I thought I had always gotten sideburns with just a proximity-unlock...

I'll do some more testing... I'm not sure what allowed me to get them once.

Last edited:
So... I had to run some errands this afternoon, and decided to test the "illuminating sideburns" issue some more. It appears that being daylight doesn't impact things. I tried proximity-unlock, fob-unlock, and phone app unlock. I ran one set of tets as I was running errands, and then another set when i got back to the parking lot, rapid-fire

Below are my tests and results. ("pass"=illuminated; "fail"=dark; "park-time" = time car parked prior to test ):

TESTRESULTPARK-TIMENOTES
ProximityFail4 hrsDoor handle lights, but no sideburns
FobPass45 mins
FobPass10 mins
FobFail5 minsIs there some park-time threshold?
AppPass<1 minI re-locked immediately after with app
AppPass<1 minI re-locked immediately after with app
FobPass<1 minI re-locked immediately after with fob
AppPass<1 min
So... it seems that the fob button pretty reliably does it on 5.8 (.22 flavor) for me. I'm not sure about the one time... maybe the car hadn't been left parked long enough?

I wonder if the sideburns not illuminating via proximity is intentional design, or has changed in the v5.x firmware? As I typically am near the driver's side door by the time the proximity is detected, I'm honestly not sure what the previous behavior has been...

Not sure if this was mentioned (a lot of pages in this thread), but after 5.8 I have a new glitch. When I go to leave every morning from the garage the home link always pops up and when this happens the reverse camera screen is just grayed out. Anyone else having this problem?

This was a problem in 4.5, fixed in 5.6. I guess it's come back.

I had an interesting occurrence today, probably in no way shape or form related to 5.8, but this is so strange it probably doesn't belong in any specific thread...

i was sitting in the drivers side waiting for my wife. I was listening to slacker "a tout le monde" radio (megadeth), when my wife got in and sat down in the passenger seat. As soon as the door shut, everything shut off. It must have assumed I got out of the car on the passenger side but didnt bother to sense the weight in the seats. So I opened my door and shut it again and everything came back to life. Slacker picked right back up and started playing "tout pour tout le monde" radio and I found myself listening to some soft classical guitar straight out of France complete with French lyrics and singing....

not sure where slacker decided to add a few words.

image.jpg

Ignore that bottom radio station.... That's the wife controlling slacker

I had an interesting occurrence today, probably in no way shape or form related to 5.8, but this is so strange it probably doesn't belong in any specific thread...

i was sitting in the drivers side waiting for my wife. I was listening to slacker "a tout le monde" radio (megadeth), when my wife got in and sat down in the passenger seat. As soon as the door shut, everything shut off. It must have assumed I got out of the car on the passenger side but didnt bother to sense the weight in the seats. So I opened my door and shut it again and everything came back to life. Slacker picked right back up and started playing "tout pour tout le monde" radio and I found myself listening to some soft classical guitar straight out of France complete with French lyrics and singing....

not sure where slacker decided to add a few words.

View attachment 37281
Ignore that bottom radio station.... That's the wife controlling slacker

In the spirit of all of this French: I think that last sentence is a double entendre. She controls the radio and you....;)

The grin is back...

Resetting screen gave me regen and steering back, but no jolt. My wife likes being a passenger more though.