Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have the only MS that does not lose power.

I am pretty sure there are plenty more, maybe even more than 50%. People tends to complain on forums which skews the perception...

There are many details that have been described that consumes range overnight:
- Weak 12V battery
- Poking constantly with your phone app
- Leaving VisibleTesla active, basically anything that block the car from sleeping
- Cold temperature (my car sleeps at 18C)

Every time I get to my car the dash is sleeping and takes about 10sec to bootup.

Actually, I lied (so you win), my car lost 1km (0.6mi) overnight today (probably because it rounds the range and it loose less that 0.5km normally). 312km yesterday at 6pm and 311km this morning at 7am (13 hours).

I'm also in Norcal. When I checked the battery level percentage last night (~50 deg F) and compare to what I see in the morning (~32 deg F), without plugging in my 60 kWh car, the battery only seems to drop 1-2 percent, but rated-miles-wise I'm losing 11 miles of range. I suspect the range estimate is taking the outside temperature into account and the 208 mile EPA range is only at a specific temperature (70 deg F?). The range "losses" seem to correlate with the reduced ranges in low temps given in the official TM page: Your Questions Answered | Tesla Motors. I believe that battery percentage is a more accurate measure of kWh remaining.

5.8 has reduced my vampire losses, but at a bit of a cost. I lost 8 miles over 30 hours at about 30 degrees--much better than the 30 miles I would have lost at that temperature before 5.8. But for the first 5 miles of driving with the "battery is warming" message showing, I averaged 780 Wh/mile (driving 20-30 mph). So, 5.8 seems to let the battery get colder, but then uses more energy to warm it back up.

QWK, have you rebooted since? (Nice color roadster). I went from 4.5 to 5.8 and still saw high loss. But within a few days went in for Annual Maint which included a 12V batt and certainly a reboot and now I have 4 mi per day. We are getting a cold snap into the teens for the next few days so I will recheck numbers. Been in the 30s up to now. A solution to the battery warming is to slow charge overnight so that charging ends near your departure time, if you can. Batt will be warm then and not go into that message/mode.

QWK, have you rebooted since? (Nice color roadster). I went from 4.5 to 5.8 and still saw high loss. But within a few days went in for Annual Maint which included a 12V batt and certainly a reboot and now I have 4 mi per day. We are getting a cold snap into the teens for the next few days so I will recheck numbers. Been in the 30s up to now. A solution to the battery warming is to slow charge overnight so that charging ends near your departure time, if you can. Batt will be warm then and not go into that message/mode.
Yes. Rebooted, and have a new C&D 12V battery.

5.8 has reduced my vampire losses, but at a bit of a cost. I lost 8 miles over 30 hours at about 30 degrees--much better than the 30 miles I would have lost at that temperature before 5.8. But for the first 5 miles of driving with the "battery is warming" message showing, I averaged 780 Wh/mile (driving 20-30 mph). So, 5.8 seems to let the battery get colder, but then uses more energy to warm it back up.

I doubt that is correct. It takes a lot of energy to warm the battery pack; the car isn't doing that when powered down. More likely the weather has just gotten colder since upgrading.

I doubt that is correct. It takes a lot of energy to warm the battery pack; the car isn't doing that when powered down. More likely the weather has just gotten colder since upgrading.

No, but it does do that when it wakes up to maintain the 12 V. I have enough telemetry data to confirm it heats the pack before charging the 12V even at temps ~40 F. This leads to considerable range loss.