Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. I tried the Hill Assist feature for the first time today on several hills on my area. It worked very well. Definitely uses the brakes. Not sure if it just the rear parking brakes or the "regular" brakes. Creaking sound on release seemed to come from the rear so my guess is the parking brakes.

@strider, my wife will also love this feature. Not so important to me, but certainly a convenience.

It's not the parking brakes as they're too slow and you would have heard them engaging/dis-engaging (if you've come to know what that sounds like).

Just got my car delivered today, and thought I would let you all know, 5.9 is installed by default in cars that came off the line around the 17th(ish).

Was funny because it was the first my DS had even seen 5.9, so thanks to this thread I knew more than my DS did about the car, and I was actually telling him about the new updates! haha!

Oh, also, my DS told me that it was good for me that it came with 5.9, since the way they do the OTA updates, not everyone gets it right away and they shoot it out in batches. So it is very likely that I would have had to wait a month or longer to get it. Just to let those who are really wanting 5.9 for the suspension lowering. However if your Service Center has it, then it might be worth it to just have them install it during business hours so you can get it sooner.

Here's the HTML5 Test results for 5.9:

http://html5test.com/s/7fe3a81f185efdce.html

It is definitely indicating support for Geolocation. Still gets a relatively bad score of 254 compared to most modern browsers. Can someone still running 5.8 go to html5test.com from the car browser and get the output? There is a button to save your results which will give you a URL like above. Would like to see what else might have changed between 5.8 and 5.9 as far as browser capabilities.

While I like that the speedo now goes to 140+, I'm disappointed they changed the logarithmic scale to linear. I thought the log scale provided better fidelity at lower speeds. If you look at the comparison below, you can see the distance between 40 and 80 MPH was much wider in 5.8 than in 5.9. Not a big deal but wish they'd kept the old style scale and just added 140MPH at the top end...

View attachment 45873

5.9 (Matt_D's photo)
View attachment 45874

The max speed and max kW are different for 60 kWh vs 85 kWh cars (at least in 5.8.x). If anyone has an S60 it would be interesting to see what the max values look like with 5.9 and if they are any different that before.

Agree. It's most certainly the normal brakes.

I have no doubt this is correct. This is the way that every other OEM has implemented this feature; my VW does it this way, as did my 2008 BMW. Neither of those cars were "brake by wire" and both have simple mechanical hand levers for the parking brake.

The ABS and stability control programs require control over brake caliper application, so programming in a slight delay in release is very straightforward.

While I like that the speedo now goes to 140+, I'm disappointed they changed the logarithmic scale to linear. I thought the log scale provided better fidelity at lower speeds. If you look at the comparison below, you can see the distance between 40 and 80 MPH was much wider in 5.8 than in 5.9. Not a big deal but wish they'd kept the old style scale and just added 140MPH at the top end...

Doesn't the car max out at 130mph anyway? What's the point of 140+? :confused: In case you go downhill with tailwind on a racetrack?

@pgiralt

Ran the html5 test using 5.8.10. Big difference. Only 164 of 255. I write a lot of html5 code for spherical photos to replace .swf so they will work on I devices. They will not run on the Tesla browser. Maybe 5.9 will make the difference? When I get it I'll see.

Here's the 5.8.10 code:

HTML:
http://html5test.com/s/a45dd91f188ceff4.html

Last edited:
@pgiralt

Ran the html5 test using 5.8.10. Big difference. Only 164 of 255. I write a lot of html5 code for spherical photos to replace .swf so they will work on I devices. They will not run on the Tesla browser. Maybe 5.9 will make the difference? When I get it I'll see.

Here's the 5.8.10 code:

HTML:
http://html5test.com/s/a45dd91f188ceff4.html

So the 5.9 browser got 254 out of 555 possible. 5.8 only 164. My iPad 2 on iOS 7.1 (Safari) got 422, just for comparison. Chrome on my iPad got 412.