Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree. I've been on WiFi and seem to be in the middle as far as roll-outs, and the last one appeared when I happened to not be on WiFi. I'll be on the freeway all day next week. Was looking forward to getting the lowering air-suspension before then...!

Ive had an upgrade download while I was inside of a best buy in the middle of the day.

And I've had them show up after having been in the parking lot at work during the day.

I'm pretty sure they stage the cars in reverse numeric order of the 7th digit of the VIN, but only on odd days of the week unless the month has an even number of days in it.

And I've had them show up after having been in the parking lot at work during the day.

I'm pretty sure they stage the cars in reverse numeric order of the 7th digit of the VIN, but only on odd days of the week unless the month has an even number of days in it.

I'm almost certain that they make sure to push it out only on days that end in a "y".

I am certainly not an early adopter (car delivered to me 12/21/13) and I don't have the air suspension. Don't know why I got 5.9 two days ago.

I'm curious to see if I get the update tomorrow. as far as I can remember, ALL of mine have come on Thursdays. wonder if they batch by day
I think the whole announcement about people being on wifi will get it sooner is a bunch of BS. Just putting that out there as I'm always on wifi, got my car last June and am always seemingly the last to get an update. Maybe I'll just take it off wifi and see what happens...

Wonder if firmware pushes happen only at night (in your local timezone). And, wonder if they go through at all when the car's deep asleep. I don't plugin at night when the car's garaged at home and only plugin during the day at work...

I am pretty sure it is entirely random. Every time you try to assign order to it, someone will come out with an exception. I am not an early adapter (delivery 12/21/13), comparatively speaking, have 85kWh battery, smart air suspension, got the last update on a Sunday, and this one yesterday, afternoon when I got off work, when the car was not on WiFi.

... I thought Elon had hinted at moving to Chrome soon so why would they be working on improving the existing browser instead of just working on getting Chrome working?

Aren't you familiar with the term 'soon' when Elon uses it? :wink:

I'd like to take a brief moment to point out that no matter how well it has or hasn't been implemented, how frickin' cool is it that a feature like this was added over the air after we all bought the car? Can you imagine if BMW owners whined that they wanted a hill hold feature and BMW decided to add one, what exactly that would entail? Tens of thousands of cars coming into the service centers, loaner cars being provided, etc.? The fact that this is even possible--even if it means they take away a beloved feature temporarily and once in a while (or I should say "beloved" since if it weren't for these forums I would long have forgotten about auto-lowering...I use air suspension to clear the dip in my driveway and the parking blocks that are just a little too high)--continues to amaze me. Since getting the car, I've gotten creep, supercharging, hill hold, free data and free Slacker for 4 years, and more. My old car added absolutely nothing over 3 years. So yeah, Slacker may get stuck fairly often, and not everyone may like superchargers being persistent on the map, and so on...but think about what we're getting and consider marvelling more and whining/complaining less! Remember, frowining can lead to early wrinkling of your forehead, so smile more! :)

I have a different opinion. We all love our Tesla, and everything that comes with it. But I don't think the cost of getting what we get is that we lose our right to ask for more, or criticize anything about Tesla. The perks we get (if you can all them perks) contribute significantly to Tesla's popularity. Everything good they do, does give them returns. So I don't think we should just accept everything that comes our way with gratitude, and not whine or complain. We owners are the biggest advertisers of Tesla. I have never seen a Tesla owner, myself included, ever let anyone get a bad impression about the car, no matter how much we whine here. We are always all praises. But here, in this club thread mostly among owners, I think it is healthy to whine. I consider it only constructive criticism. By comparing with other cars, we are belittling Tesla, in my opinion. We whine that it is not easy to make a playlist or that the album art displayed is not right, when no one makes a big deal of other cars that may not do even 1% of what the media player in Tesla can do. I see it a as a good thing, and this whining only shows how highly we regard our car. When I see such complaints and whines and frowns from owners, it makes me feel proud, in a way. So, let's have more of those wrinkles :love:

I think I'll stop having my car leech free internet, no matter how small the bandwidth, from my WiFi if having WiFi enabled does not get updates faster than those using only 3G.

And how can I get the Fremont Service center to take in my car to update it to 5.9? The last time I called them just to update my car, I was given a load of BS like, "we cannot do that", "those other service centers aren't supposed to be doing that", and "don't believe everything you read from the forums". Do I need to remind them that I paid for a service plan? Complain that the air suspension feature I paid for doesn't work?

I think I'll stop having my car leech free internet, no matter how small the bandwidth, from my WiFi if having WiFi enabled does not get updates faster than those using only 3G.

And how can I get the Fremont Service center to take in my car to update it to 5.9? The last time I called them just to update my car, I was given a load of BS like, "we cannot do that", "those other service centers aren't supposed to be doing that", and "don't believe everything you read from the forums". Do I need to remind them that I paid for a service plan? Complain that the air suspension feature I paid for doesn't work?

From what I heard, you have to bring the car for some kind of service. When they fix that, they also update the firmware. You cannot just go over, and ask for an update.

By the way, even though I said I got the update notification in the afternoon, when the car was not on WiFi, the car does connect to my home WiFi whenever it is parked at home. So it's not like I never use WiFi.

Navigation with traffic input. I noticed that the Tesla Nav gave me a different direction than my iPhone Google Maps apps. That seems to imply that the Tesla NAV doesn't appear to take traffic into account as it was directing me into lots of traffic, while the phone was finding me a better route. Is that true?

Ok, so I get my Model S tomorrow, do I'm yet to experience firmware anxiety.

What I don't get though is why all cars don't get this at the sale time. Are Tesla hosting their downloads on an old PC under Elon's desk or something?

Staged roll outs are a common way to release updates in software design. allowing to catch any bugs that got through beta testing before they hit 100% of the customers.

Ok, so I get my Model S tomorrow, do I'm yet to experience firmware anxiety.

What I don't get though is why all cars don't get this at the sale time. Are Tesla hosting their downloads on an old PC under Elon's desk or something?

It's standard practice to roll OTA updates out in batches. For several reasons: problems are isolated to small groups and found before affecting the entire customer base,
loads for server infrastructure can be balanced, etc. The first reason has already been important in a few prior updates.