Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got this update while I was out for a few hours over 3G in a terrible 3G area... was quite surprised to see it when I returned to the car.

Applied it when I got home.

At one point during the update my center screen popped up the charging screen and showed 334 miles of range, lol. I actually caught a picture of it moments before in rebooted. :-D (will post when I get home)

Showing 240 miles of rated range at 90% now... was 237 or 237.

again, I think that they shifted the 0% reporting point. It probably is charging to the same amount, but it reports it as a lower percentage to everything (visible tesla, rest, dash battery icon). Then , because the algorithm has been fixed, some of the below zero miles has been moved above 0.

The biggest end result is that 0 miles remaining went from showing 20% or so left to 0%. Some of that 20% was lost when the algorithm was fixed! and the rest was lost when they changed how it reports battery SOC %

.... And everyone was saying something was wrong that my car was "sitting" after getting out....

Now my question is, did they change the algorithm calculating range based on Wh/mi? Some other posts on another thread have suggested that the number dropped, so that even though rated miles might be higher north of 0, there might be a net change t the negative -- meaning that the total distance we can drive before we reach 0 rated miles is less than it was on 5.8. Just asking is all.

Update: Last night, my rated matched projected at 291 Wh/mile. On 5.8, they were matching at 285.

Last edited:
I just had the SC stage my update, and I'm home performing it now. '1.51.94' I hope this squashes the reboot bug!
Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 1.57.41 PM.png

My SC manager told me that Tesla installed an OTA software "patch" in my car 3 days ago that fixed the center display reboot issue. The install did not change my firmware number, I am still on 5.9/1.51.88. See the topic I started on the center display reboot issue. He told me that the .94 firmware was being installed on a limited basis to "selected" owners. That's all I know.

My SC manager told me that Tesla installed an OTA software "patch" in my car 3 days ago that fixed the center display reboot issue. The install did not change my firmware number, I am still on 5.9/1.51.88. See the topic I started on the center display reboot issue. He told me that the .94 firmware was being installed on a limited basis to "selected" owners. That's all I know.

The SC manager needs to learn the psychology of the Tesla owner. If he says "it is going out on limited basis to selected owners", then everybody who hears starts getting insulted - "whaddaya mean, I'm not a "selected" owner? Why don't I get the "limited edition" software?"

He needs to say something like "it is going out on a limited, punitive basis to owners who don't seem to be competent to live with the current release." Then we'd all chill and think, "thank god I'm not THAT guy!"

Perfect, I live in LA!!! It may be a good idea to have a demo model where non-owners/non-deposit holders can ride along in. Myself, owning two very high maintenance cars in a location where living costs are sky high will not be able to afford one for some time unless some miracle happens. Id be bummed if i couldnt get at least a taste of the ability. keep me informed!!

I'm OK being special :)

On a trip from WA back to BC, we called the Bellevue SC on zero notice and asked if we could come by for 5.9. They said "sure!", so we did. They did insist on actually installing it, for safety's sake, so we were there about an hour, but worth it!

A few observations, hopefully some of them new:

1) The transition from "Standard" height to "Very High" (which we use all the time for the ferries, etc.) now seems to be about twice the speed as before. I have not measured it, but if someone still with 5.8 want to get a timing, I will too. Very welcome change, if I am not imagining it!

2) Love all the UI tweaks, even the subtle ones on the instrument screen. It just all looks more polished now.

3) Browser is now finally reasonably usable, as others have noted.

4) They seem to have fixed the charge current gymnastics of 5.8.x. When I plugged in to my HPWC at home, set to 60A, the car ramped slowly up to 30A, held there for may 30 s or 1 m, then ramped up to 60A. It seems it is trying the 'safe' level first, then going higher, just as the Superchargers do. I plugged in my Roadster at 40A simultaneously, and my power monitor showed a significant voltage drop, but no back down by the Model S. Here is the power monitor trace (Model S still charging at the end; bright red is voltage; dark red is Model S; yellow is Roadster; green is rest of house, mostly heat pump). BTW, yes we are blessed with 400A service and a private, new transformer so all this load is no problem.
Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 7.51.50 PM.png

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, BTW, it was the .94 flavour we got.

Not sure if others have reported this...

I usually keep the internet browser open on the bottom half of my touch screen. I think now with 5.9, the browser refreshes when I put the car in PARK, and possibly other times also often.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Not sure if others have reported this...

I usually keep the internet browser open on the bottom half of my touch screen. I think now with 5.9, the browser refreshes when I put the car in PARK, and possibly other times also often.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes, I have seen this also. Might have to do with location awareness, but it seems excessive. Might need some more tweaking on their part. At least it is better than the paralytic behaviour of prior version!

Wow, I'm really looking forward to this update. Every morning I look at the screen and... nope.

Fun to have the anxiety back again. It's kinda like waiting for my car to be delivered. Or the mythical Canadian Superchargers.
I'm puzzled they aren't rolling this out faster. I had hoped that the successful 5.8 rollout had given them more faith to go fairly aggressively...

Yeah, although TM pushed out 5.8 to all cars over the course of 3 days (as dirkhh mentioned it was fairly aggressive). 5.9 has been out for a couple weeks with no update in sight for my car. I guess the difference can be explained by them being much more trigger happy when it comes to taking away a feature than restoring it.

1) The transition from "Standard" height to "Very High" (which we use all the time for the ferries, etc.) now seems to be about twice the speed as before. I have not measured it, but if someone still with 5.8 want to get a timing, I will too. Very welcome change, if I am not imagining it!

Still on 5.8.8, the timing up/down varied quite a bit. Tried to measure by sound/height change, and by the visual circle thingy. Sometimes the sound/height change would finish but the circle remained active. Average everything together and I'd say between 12-15 seconds for raising or lowering to/from very high/standard. The first lower from v.high to standard was 9.5 seconds but I couldn't replicate that.