Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Height adjustments do seem faster now. Sometimes, the spinning circle does continue even after the shocks have adjusted already; it's a display bug, I think. Closing the Controls dialog and opening it again cures that.

Also, I find that the suspension adjusts a touch quicker if the car's in motion rather than when at a standstill and is less noisy too that way. Now that the speed thresholds have been raised for the high/very-high suspension levels, I'm going from Standard to High a good half-mile before I get home (to pull into my elevated driveway).

This often seems to happen with firmware roll outs. A bunch go out, then bugs appear, then they weeks of chasing down the bugs, sending out patches, fixing those fixes, etc.

Having run SW development for mass market online products, I think that is what's going on. Perhaps they are a bit more formalized that it seems. If I were running the show, I'd select a representative cross section of the environment and roll it out to them (think alpha test though I'm pretty sure they won't go near that term). Then monitor the results and fix any big problems. Better to have one or two flatbed cases rather than hundreds though none would be expected. I'd also monitor this site to hear what people are saying and maybe tweak anything that we are obsessing about. Then after a reasonable period of time, roll it out all the way. I also think the reason that they let the service guys update the FW ahead of mass roll out is that there is a good chance that the service guys will catch any major issues.

One possible bug I found in the week since I have 5.9 (v .88) is that the car no longer seems to remember the location-based amperage value to use when charging in my home garage (NEMA 14-50).

A few of the charges I did were at 20A (did not need faster charging), but the car always resets to 80A when the time comes to charge again. Minor annoyance to be sure, but it had not done this before.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes, Jeeps17 that problem has happened to me too. Always seemed to want to charge at 80 amps instead of my much lower prefered charging rate. Tesla told me to delete all of my charging history locations and since then it has worked fine. I think I am on version .92 though. I was also having my home charging location showing several different addresses in my history so I chalked it up to a GPS problem since most of the other locations were about a quarter to a third of a mile away from my house.

Height adjustments do seem faster now.

I haven't got 5.9 yet, but with 5.8.10 and earlier, the height adjustments happen with a "rocking" motion - raising back, then front, then back... This is only noticeable if you're parked, but it's pretty clear then. Maybe with 5.9 the front and back adjustments happen at the same time. Just guessing here - I don't know the details of how the air suspension works - but it would be hard to imagine that a software update could speed up the actual lifting motion. I would expect the motor that adds air is not variable speed.

Can someone with 5.9 try going from Standard to Extra High while parked and let us know if it raises "evenly" or rocking back and forth?

Height adjustments do seem faster now. Sometimes, the spinning circle does continue even after the shocks have adjusted already; it's a display bug, I think. Closing the Controls dialog and opening it again cures that.

Also, I find that the suspension adjusts a touch quicker if the car's in motion rather than when at a standstill and is less noisy too that way. Now that the speed thresholds have been raised for the high/very-high suspension levels, I'm going from Standard to High a good half-mile before I get home (to pull into my elevated driveway).

Does it auto remember where you select high? We have some speed bumps that we drive over regularly and I usually set it to high before I get to them but it never has auto adjusted for me.

I haven't got 5.9 yet, but with 5.8.10 and earlier, the height adjustments happen with a "rocking" motion - raising back, then front, then back... This is only noticeable if you're parked, but it's pretty clear then. Maybe with 5.9 the front and back adjustments happen at the same time. Just guessing here - I don't know the details of how the air suspension works - but it would be hard to imagine that a software update could speed up the actual lifting motion. I would expect the motor that adds air is not variable speed.

Can someone with 5.9 try going from Standard to Extra High while parked and let us know if it raises "evenly" or rocking back and forth?

It rocks back and forth.

No, there's no geolocation-aware memory for the height settings. It'd be a great feature though.
It does "remember" the height setting when you leave the car. So when you next use the car it is at that setting. Nice for us as we need it high when we back out of our garage, and it is already set, assuming you were "high" when you parked.

One possible bug I found in the week since I have 5.9 (v .88) is that the car no longer seems to remember the location-based amperage value to use when charging in my home garage (NEMA 14-50).

Has anyone else noticed this?

I think this is already fixed in .94. Seems to be fine at my home HPWC.

- - - Updated - - -

It rocks back and forth.

For me, it always has just raised the back first, then the front.

- - - Updated - - -

One other new observation. I tried out the hill hold today, and it definitely held for at least 2 seconds. Maybe this was also tweaked in .92 and/or .94.

I think this is already fixed in .94. Seems to be fine at my home HPWC.

- - - Updated - - -

For me, it always has just raised the back first, then the front.

- - - Updated - - -

One other new observation. I tried out the hill hold today, and it definitely held for at least 2 seconds. Maybe this was also tweaked in .92 and/or .94.

We still have 88 and ours holds at least two seconds also. Though not as long as the Bimmer we sold held it. It's no problem even on the steepest of hills. Though we drove manuals our whole lives so our view may be somewhat subjective.

I'd call that a pretty major bug. The car should remember the lower amperage setting. I'll see tonight if my car does the same. What subversion are you on?

For me, 5.9 removed the charger history from the nav system and started from scratch, so it's likely it lost the memory of charging currents as well.

Charge current storage isn't guaranteed, whether due to an update, or a different address detected (my home has had 3 different addresses for the same HPWC in the past), and why I am a strong advocate of using the right Tesla adapters instead of engineering one's own 14-50 to 10-30/14-30/6-30/6-20/6-15/etc. adapter cable.

We still have 88 and ours holds at least two seconds also. Though not as long as the Bimmer we sold held it. It's no problem even on the steepest of hills. Though we drove manuals our whole lives so our view may be somewhat subjective.
My problem with the hill assist is not the amount of time it holds but I found that it didn't seem to work on more gradual hills even though they were steep enough to roll backwards. I was hypothesizing that because creep was turned on when I upgraded, and I now have it turned off, maybe it behaves differently - grasping I know. I restarted the center screen with creep turned off and it seemed to me that it might be better though I had no scientific basis for this. Since then I've observed another interesting behaviour: sometimes I take my foot off the brake to test it on moderate hills and it starts to roll back. After putting my foot back down , then it seems to hold when I release my foot for the second time. I'm not sure if there is some secret action like pushing the brake harder or pushing it twice that forces the feature or if I have some unique issue. Given that no one else seems to be complaining about this feature I may talk to a service rep about it.

My problem with the hill assist is not the amount of time it holds but I found that it didn't seem to work on more gradual hills even though they were steep enough to roll backwards. I was hypothesizing that because creep was turned on when I upgraded, and I now have it turned off, maybe it behaves differently - grasping I know. I restarted the center screen with creep turned off and it seemed to me that it might be better though I had no scientific basis for this. Since then I've observed another interesting behaviour: sometimes I take my foot off the brake to test it on moderate hills and it starts to roll back. After putting my foot back down , then it seems to hold when I release my foot for the second time. I'm not sure if there is some secret action like pushing the brake harder or pushing it twice that forces the feature or if I have some unique issue. Given that no one else seems to be complaining about this feature I may talk to a service rep about it.

I noticed you do have to be at a complete stop before you let go of the brake for it to work.

We'll, I'm fairly frustrated. I was gone for a week while my car was parked in my garage with a great signal to my router/wifi and still have not received the update. Now I know there are those that are gonna say "Just enjoy the car and be happy you can get updates at all!" Notwithstanding they are usually the fellas who have already received 5.9 or probably drove to their respective service centers to have it installed. I just don't think tesla should advertise that those on wifi will have priority to updates because when that isn't true their credibility suffers.

Ive noticed the exact same thing. It's ok to me but I wondered if there was something wrong.

I just don't think tesla should advertise that those on wifi will have priority to updates because when that isn't true their credibility suffers.

Did they actually advertise that? I've seen it speculated here at TMC, but I don't recall anything official from Tesla. In general, it's better to be towards the end of the push rather than the beginning because you're likely to get a later version that will be more trouble-free.

Did they actually advertise that? I've seen it speculated here at TMC, but I don't recall anything official from Tesla. In general, it's better to be towards the end of the push rather than the beginning because you're likely to get a later version that will be more trouble-free.

My recollection is that Tesla did state this. I've recently turned my wifi back off as the hand-off between wifi and 3G is still problematic at times. The car doesn't regain connectivity after dropping out of wifi and a reboot is required to fix it.

Yes they did say that, I think it was in the release notes for the first version that added wifi. It was an inducement to set up wifi, otherwise why bother if you had a good 3G signal in your garage? It did say priority for "future" updates, if I recall, so maybe the future hasn't arrived yet.