Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning, first morning with 5.9, I was curious what the range would say after a routine overnight charge.

Normally when I get up and check the car, the 80% is 197mi. When I checked this morning it was 209 mi.

It may just be a tweaked algorithm, but I like. :)

- - - Updated - - -

On a separate note about 5.9 . . . what is this I see on the map now, in my local area? I see gray charger icons, three of them, one for my garage, and two others on nearby streets.

Which begs the question: are these home chargers? Is Tesla really showing me the location of other personal chargers in residences? And are other local Tesla owners seeing MY home's NEMA 14-50 on THEIR maps?

What's going on here, exactly?

These are places you have charged before, now Grey. Superchargers have remained large size and red.

Anyone else get "call Tesla service" on the dash after the update? Hasn't gone away for me yet, even with a few reboots and miles of driving. Car drives fine. SC thinks its a code that needs clearing.
Happened to me and SC said there was some sort fault being reported. I have to take it back in to get it cleared, which is a bit annoying. They assured me that driving in the meantime not a problem.

Back before "Low-Gate"... when Low worked as originally designed. It would drop into Low mode at 60mph, and then return to Normal height the moment you hit 25mph. As I exited freeways, I could keep the car in low for quite some time (minutes), until I had to come to a stop light/sign etc.

It will be interesting to compare this now. I'm still waiting.

2am....do you ever sleep Greg?

On a separate note about 5.9 . . . what is this I see on the map now, in my local area? I see gray charger icons, three of them, one for my garage, and two others on nearby streets.

Which begs the question: are these home chargers? Is Tesla really showing me the location of other personal chargers in residences? And are other local Tesla owners seeing MY home's NEMA 14-50 on THEIR maps?

I had the same thing, and I had noticed it before 5.9. I think what you are seeing are erroneous GPS positions (weak GPS in your garage, for example) that are logged when you did some charges.

The way I fixed it was to back out of my garage to get a good GPS fix, zoom in on the map to make sure I was in the correct spot on the map, then use the delete charge locations to delete the erroneous locations that were at 0.1 and 0.2 mi from my current position. This cleaned up my map nicely.

At least with 5.9, I can delete the clutter on my map.

The biggest problem with the old software was that for people who did not regularly charge to 90% the algorithm would more and more under-estimate the remaining capacity. So how much you gain back appears to depend on how much the algorithm got out of whack by your charging habits.
While we're batting theories around again, I thought the magic number was 100% not 90%....

This morning, first morning with 5.9, I was curious what the range would say after a routine overnight charge.

Normally when I get up and check the car, the 80% is 197mi. When I checked this morning it was 209 mi.

It may just be a tweaked algorithm, but I like. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the range increase is an algorithm change - lots of discussion of this earlier in this thread.

The grey icons are places you have charged before. Some near your house may be inaccurate GPS locations from you charging at home. They can now be deleted in the Nav app.

These are places you have charged before, now Grey. Superchargers have remained large size and red.

Nope, can't be. They're right down the street, here in the village of La Jolla. Only place I have ever, ever plugged in here is home. So I have no idea what these other things are or why they're showing up.

Yeah they must be inaccurate GPS locations. But jeez, they're really inaccurate. Like blocks away.

mknox, the Hill Assist feature cannot be turned off. I looked in the controls and didn't find anything.

I like Hill Assist. Try it a few times, you might too.

Maybe it sounds silly, but I like to pull into the center of my drive to let passengers out, then just take my foot off the brake and coast back before pulling into the right side of my garage without having to shift gears. Now I have to wait or shift. Not the end of the world, but I'm surprised it isn't switchable on or off.

Maybe it sounds silly, but I like to pull into the center of my drive to let passengers out, then just take my foot off the brake and coast back before pulling into the right side of my garage without having to shift gears. Now I have to wait or shift. Not the end of the world, but I'm surprised it isn't switchable on or off.

It's only about a second wait, but if you want it to release sooner, tap the accelerator lightly.

Nope, can't be. They're right down the street, here in the village of La Jolla. Only place I have ever, ever plugged in here is home. So I have no idea what these other things are or why they're showing up.

Yeah they must be inaccurate GPS locations. But jeez, they're really inaccurate. Like blocks away.

I had a couple of spurious ones near my home too. I had my home "charging location" that was auto-remembered by the car off by a couple of house addresses (i.e. minor GPS error), but these were a couple of blocks away.

After mulling over what they could possibly be, I just deleted them.

4) They seem to have fixed the charge current gymnastics of 5.8.x. When I plugged in to my HPWC at home, set to 60A, the car ramped slowly up to 30A, held there for may 30 s or 1 m, then ramped up to 60A. It seems it is trying the 'safe' level first, then going higher, just as the Superchargers do. I plugged in my Roadster at 40A simultaneously, and my power monitor showed a significant voltage drop, but no back down by the Model S. Here is the power monitor trace (Model S still charging at the end; bright red is voltage; dark red is Model S; yellow is Roadster; green is rest of house, mostly heat pump). BTW, yes we are blessed with 400A service and a private, new transformer so all this load is no problem.
View attachment 46560

That's great that the voltage sensitivity issue has been fixed. Regarding the "hold at 30A" behaviour you mention, I believe this had always been the case with twin chargers when you charge above 40A, even on old firmware <5. Apparently the car first ramps up on primary charger to half the desired current, then enters a hardware negotiation phase of about 1 min. during which the slave charger comes on line, and then ramps up to full current. You could test by choosing, e.g, 50A and see if the pause point is at 25A.

BTW I'm still on 4.5 and enjoying this thread and the car. 4.5 has been rock solid for me and that's mainly what I care about, and I can't take advantage of faster supercharging on later software due to my "A" battery, plus I have my full lowering capability. But it looks like newer software versions might be catching up slowly to 4.5. :)

That's great that the voltage sensitivity issue has been fixed. Regarding the "hold at 30A" behaviour you mention, I believe this had always been the case with twin chargers when you charge above 40A, even on old firmware <5. Apparently the car first ramps up on primary charger to half the desired current, then enters a hardware negotiation phase of about 1 min. during which the slave charger comes on line, and then ramps up to full current. You could test by choosing, e.g, 50A and see if the pause point is at 25A.

BTW I'm still on 4.5 and enjoying this thread and the car. 4.5 has been rock solid for me and that's mainly what I care about, and I can't take advantage of faster supercharging on later software due to my "A" battery, plus I have my full lowering capability. But it looks like newer software versions might be catching up slowly to 4.5. :)

Ramping to half, waiting, and ramping the last half has always been there (if you're over 40 amps) -- but the ramp period is MUCH longer in 5.9 than previous builds so it's a lot more noticeable.
Also interesting (not new), set it to 40, let it ramp, then set it to 41. You'll see it immediately drop to 20 amps and then hear the second charger click into play and it'll ramp to 41.

I have 5.9 (1.51.94) and am finding it won't remember my charging amp settings at home. It defaults back to 80 amps each time I return, but I need to charge at 16 amps and must remember to set it back manually. I think I read of others with this problem, but don't recall if there was a resolution.

I had a couple of spurious ones near my home too. I had my home "charging location" that was auto-remembered by the car off by a couple of house addresses (i.e. minor GPS error), but these were a couple of blocks away.

After mulling over what they could possibly be, I just deleted them.

How'd you delete them? I tap 'em and get the little popup but the choice is to navigate to there, not to delete. Is there another way to delete?

You're not alone on that. I really liked the feeling of driving a manual. Luckily you can sort of "learn" when it will do its thing and counter it. Hopefully it will be customizable going forward.

I have 5.9 (1.51.94) and am finding it won't remember my charging amp settings at home. It defaults back to 80 amps each time I return, but I need to charge at 16 amps and must remember to set it back manually. I think I read of others with this problem, but don't recall if there was a resolution.

Seriously?? They STILL have this bug in .94? This is a really bad bug - please email ownership and let them know.

Yes, it messes me up too. I'd love to turn it off.

However, I have a more serious problem. 5.9 wiped out almost all my favourites and marked them all as unknown. Now there are not only no titles and no album art, but there isn't even that time scale while the music is playing. The pictures were taken when the music was playing. (and yes, I have a case open with Tesla on this.)

music2.jpg
music1.jpg