Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pardon my ignorance, a little late to the party
Like many of you, i'm anxiously waiting for 5.9
So the question is
If the energy save mode is on, would you have less chance of an update?
My car is always on wifi with good connection, but i'm not sure how to "prep" the car so i have better chance of getting new firmware

Finally got .94 yesterday. My 80% went from 185 to 199 rated so a gain of 14 miles. I wonder why there's so much variability in how miles we gain back post-update.

If the energy save mode is on, would you have less chance of an update?
My car is always on wifi with good connection, but i'm not sure how to "prep" the car so i have better chance of getting new firmware

No. I have sleep mode enabled. The car wakes up periodically to maintain the 12V, charge at night, or drive. It will download during one of these windows.

Got 5.9 last night. Some weirdness in the update. I told it to install when I got home. My car was plugged in, but that doesn't kick in until 10pm. After the update, it was charging. I stopped the charging and let it charge at it's normal 10pm time and in the morning the car said there was a charging issue and to check the source or cable. But it was fully charged, nothing unusual I could tell.

We'll see what happens tonight.

Finally got .94 yesterday. My 80% went from 185 to 199 rated so a gain of 14 miles. I wonder why there's so much variability in how miles we gain back post-update.

My car "shows" a "gain" of 15.4 rated miles at miles at 80%. I just posted my data analysis from 5.8 -> 5.9 on my car. It MIGHT be able to help explain things a little. Unfortunately I conclude that it's just optical illusion...

Decreasing rated range. - Page 121

Peter

The biggest problem with the old software was that for people who did not regularly charge to 90% the algorithm would more and more under-estimate the remaining capacity. So how much you gain back appears to depend on how much the algorithm got out of whack by your charging habits.

No. I have sleep mode enabled. The car wakes up periodically to maintain the 12V, charge at night, or drive. It will download during one of these windows.

The download begins whenever Tesla wants to push it to your car--it doesn't have to wait for the car to be in a "naturally" woken state. Tesla can wake up our cars whenever they want--just like the smartphone app can.

I was on 5.9 yesterday (must be the 88 build, since I got my 5.9 update in the very early days). Called the service center to help clear my music cache. They said the firmware needs updating. They pushed a newer 5.9 (build 94, which I guess is the latest right now) OTA.

Music cache is still not cleared though :(

This morning, first morning with 5.9, I was curious what the range would say after a routine overnight charge.

Normally when I get up and check the car, the 80% is 197mi. When I checked this morning it was 209 mi.

It may just be a tweaked algorithm, but I like. :)

- - - Updated - - -

On a separate note about 5.9 . . . what is this I see on the map now, in my local area? I see gray charger icons, three of them, one for my garage, and two others on nearby streets.

Which begs the question: are these home chargers? Is Tesla really showing me the location of other personal chargers in residences? And are other local Tesla owners seeing MY home's NEMA 14-50 on THEIR maps?

What's going on here, exactly?