Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Using 5.9 for the first time on a loaner. The UI seems slower to respond to button presses. I was fighting with the thermostat controls tonight. I pushed up a few times and it didn't respond so I pushed it again, but then it went too far. Pressed down and it did the same thing. I had to slowly push one by one and wait for the car to register it.

Hi
With regards to the different behavior with hill hold
My guess is they are using the breake light sensor to detect when to activate it
On old cars the breake light is controlled by a small switch that is mounted on the breake pedal
Some time it need to be adjusted for when it activated
So if this switch on some cars need a slightly more pressure to activate that others
This could explain way some need to press harder to activate hill hold than others
If this it the case a simple adjustment to the switch is all that is needed

i think think you misheard what is being reported. In my car, sometimes I only need a little pressure, and sometimes I need a lot of pressure to trigger hill assist to kick in. It seems to be that less steep hills require more pressure. Also, on the least steep slopes, it won't come on at all.

I always switch to high when I go up my driveway because of a dip.

I have not seen the car lower after I park.

But I do hear the brake booster pump start up when I exit the car.

I've also noticed that I cannot manually lower the car height from high after it's stopped. I get an error message.

I've observed the same. Seems really bad for the car to lower after parking.

I think I saw this mentioned before, just got 5.9 and have the auto lowering set to come on at 55. I now notice that every time I exit the vehicle the suspension seems to lower on its own. Why when you are driving under the limit set and the car is in standard does it lower when you get out of the vehicle?
it does something, and whatever it does, it lowers the front end. It also only happens with auto lowering on and not a specific height set (it will maintain very high if you set that). It clearly seems to be something programmed in that says when the car parks go to low mode.

- - - Updated - - -

I always switch to high when I go up my driveway because of a dip.

I have not seen the car lower after I park.

But I do hear the brake booster pump start up when I exit the car.

I've also noticed that I cannot manually lower the car height from high after it's stopped. I get an error message.

it only does it if you leave it in auto lowering. Since you are setting high, you have prevented it from doing this.

i think think you misheard what is being reported. In my car, sometimes I only need a little pressure, and sometimes I need a lot of pressure to trigger hill assist to kick in. It seems to be that less steep hills require more pressure. Also, on the least steep slopes, it won't come on at all.

Seemed like an interesting theory but my car is fairly new. I find if I double pump the break it nearly always works. Still haven't got round to calling service to investigate.

Just got back from a trip and had 5.9 (.94) waiting to install. It seemed to install quickly (didn't time it). No issues to report whatsoever. Return of auto-lower has me very happy. Really missed the feeling of lower at highway speeds. Hill assist is great, missed that from my Acura.

Last edited:
Got 5.9 mid last week. The option to save this location as Home is driving me bat$hit crazy. If I click the button that says "Don't ask me again" then DON'T ASK ME AGAIN!!!!! But no, EVERY time I get in the car in my garage it prompts me to save the location as home. Hey Tesla, surely someone there speaks English and can parse the meaning of the words on the button?

Got 5.9 mid last week. The option to save this location as Home is driving me bat$hit crazy. If I click the button that says "Don't ask me again" then DON'T ASK ME AGAIN!!!!! But no, EVERY time I get in the car in my garage it prompts me to save the location as home. Hey Tesla, surely someone there speaks English and can parse the meaning of the words on the button?

maybe they hired the same person who did usaa's "is this a private/public location" interface... Every time in click private, which is supposed to get around having to do an extra layer of passwords from then on for that device, it never saves it.

Over Christmas the update to 5.8 killed my left rear door handle. This time 5.9 killed the right rear door handle.

Also tow mode behaviour changed and does not follow the instructions on screen or in the manual. To disable you now have to touch Tow, then touch and hold the red button for 15 seconds.

Let Tesla know about that and maybe just save anything in there so it's happy until they fix it.

Do you live on a fault line? :scared:

Hill assist is brilliant! I was a bit worried about the feature because sometimes I want to roll back a little (when parking in the garage, for example). But the software is smart enough to know when it should kick in: it seems to be "activate hill assist only after the brake pedal has been depressed for a few seconds." Well done!

Hill assist is brilliant! I was a bit worried about the feature because sometimes I want to roll back a little (when parking in the garage, for example). But the software is smart enough to know when it should kick in: it seems to be "activate hill assist only after the brake pedal has been depressed for a few seconds." Well done!

Mine seems to be hit and miss, but then we don't have San Diego - type hills around here. I find in my driveway (uniform slope) it will sometimes hold and other times not. I've tried both pressing the brake lightly and firmly (some here say that makes a difference) but have not found that makes a difference.

I was sitting at the top of an exit ramp the other day. Hill hold did not do anything, I let up on the brake and the car rolled slightly backward. I noticed that when I reapplied the brake after it rolled back, hill hold worked. Maybe it requires two presses of the brake pedal?

Maybe it knows it's your garage and it thinks you made a mistake.